Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Self-bailing splashwell drains, 69 222  (Read 1409 times)

January 10, 2006, 03:25:54 PM
Read 1409 times

Joe Vinson

• Information Offline
Self-bailing splashwell drains, 69 222
« on: January 10, 2006, 03:25:54 PM »
I am rebuilding a 1969 Aquasport 222, can anyone tell me if the original splashwell drains are well above the waterline, having a 200 yamaha and a 9.9 kicker mounted on the transom.  They appear to be above the waterline, but I just want to make sure because since the holes are exsisting already I am going to use one for bilge pump drain and the other hole for a livewell drain. The livewell drain should be fine,I am more concerned about the bilge pump drain because I don't want water to backfill into my bilge.  
  I have removed all of the old decking and removed the old splashwell (The original splashwell for the selfbailing deck was very small) I have closed the transom off and will have a more efficiant self bailing deck but I am left with the two holes that are from the original splashwell, and are trying to utilize them if possible, The less holes drilled the better, at least in a boat.                                
    So if anyone can tell me from experience on the water if these 2 holes will be above the waterline, close to it, or below it which I doubt, It would be greatly appreciated.                 Thanks Joe

January 10, 2006, 05:58:22 PM
Reply #1

John Jones

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 05:58:22 PM »
Don't use them for drains if they are even close to the water line.  A friend of mine had his boat nearly sink several times before he figured out what was happening.  His bilge drains were just barely above the waterline.  Get a couple of guys fishing on the same corner of the stern and then a wave slap the side of the boat and the drain would start siphoning.  (Yes, he had pump issues also - like a seized Rulemate less than a month old.)  We plugged the low drains and installed new ones as high as we could get them.  No more siphoning.  We tried re-routing the hoses up in a high loop and such before moving them with no success.
Politics have no relation to morals.
Niccolo Machiavelli

January 12, 2006, 10:57:38 AM
Reply #2

Joe Vinson

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 10:57:38 AM »
John Jones
  Thank you for the reply, I am aware of what will happen if the drains are too close to the waterline, but I think that the drains are well above, I need someone that has a 69' 222 with the original self bailing drains to tell me how much higher they are. It would be ideal if someone with a 69 222 with a 200 2 -stroke could reply, thanks

Joe

January 12, 2006, 11:24:54 AM
Reply #3

Tailgunner

• Information Offline
    • http://nbrigham.com/Nix/nix.html
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 11:24:54 AM »
I've got a '73 222 with a Merc 125 2-stroke. The holes are a "few inches" above waterline. I've never had a problem except at the boat ramp and then only when launching.

Not sure if that helped.
Tailgunner
Ex owner of Ethel Ann 1973 222
Now in BroadBill\'s hands

January 14, 2006, 09:08:38 AM
Reply #4

g-man

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 09:08:38 AM »
I have a '73 22-2 with twin Merc 115's. Since they were heavier than the factory recommended 70hp Johnrude twin setup, I filled the livewells with foam. They were a pain to use anyway. The drains are just above the waterline unless you are bottom fishing with folks toward the stern. I plugged the two outside drains with removable stoppers and use a ping pong ball drain on the center drain. Works beautifully.
1973 22-2(gone but not forgotten...see fitz73222 to follow her wake)
G-whizz

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal