Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Ok, I think I'm ready  (Read 2354 times)

February 12, 2008, 11:27:16 PM
Reply #15

Bygracealone

• Information Offline
    • http://www.trinityrpc.org
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 11:27:16 PM »
Hey Marcq,

Finish the story buddy...

February 13, 2008, 10:32:42 AM
Reply #16

Bahi

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2008, 10:32:42 AM »
Hello Marcq, I got my 1st boat ('84 170), a couple of months ago, too. You are lucky, like me, to find this site & to have these guys around you for help. Welcome on board, Congratulations, and Good Luck!
Capt. Bahi is an Egyptian Sailor (Laser Class)

Sold to POUNDBURY:
\'84 Osprey 170 / \'97 Yamaha 115hp

February 13, 2008, 12:15:41 PM
Reply #17

Marcq

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2008, 12:15:41 PM »
Sorry guys for the late reply, it seems like the only thing I have been doing since November is shoveling snow, and shoveling snow, did I say shoveling snow ? This is the worst winter we ever had. And what is even more depressing is coming here and seeing pictures of guys working on there boats, with palm trees all over the place  :x  and I have to go back out in while to shovel more f***ing snow, I don't even know where to put it anymore  :x

Anyway, to continue my little boring story, we left as plan on vacation to Nova Scotia before sunrise, so my wife wouldn't have a clear picture of the boat, it was a somewhat boring vacation, we spend the hole week in the fog, wish I had brought the boat with us, I could of at least work on it. A week later, we came back, I made sure that we departed NS at a time that when we got home it would be dark and we did  :) My wife left for work the next morning and still couldn't tell in what kind of a shape the boat was in    

So the first thing I did when she left for work was to take out all the junk that was inside the boat, I had about twelve hours to make that boat look somewhat presentable before she came back. I then went to the tools renting place and got a water pressure washer and gave the boat a good wash, but that wasn't good enough to take the scum off the hull, so I went to hardware store and got some wet sand paper,600-1100, started with the 600 and finish with the 1100, that took about two hours to do, man I was going like a mad men, after it was done I couldn't believe how much better she looked   :shock: was also surprise how sound the hull was considering its age.

I then went to the marine store and got some anti fooling paint, prepping for it was a pain in the neck but got it done, didn't do a perfect job but will do for now, took about four hours. The day had gone by so fast, my wife was about to show up anytime soon. She pulls into the driveway just when I was setting up the bimini . Her first reaction was" WOW I like it, it's kind of cute" What a relief that was, but CUTE   :roll:

To be continued , have to go f****ing shoveling  :twisted:

Marc..
1979 170 Aquasport 70hp Evinrude

February 13, 2008, 12:18:10 PM
Reply #18

Marcq

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2008, 12:18:10 PM »
Quote from: "Bahi"
Hello Marcq, I got my 1st boat ('84 170), a couple of months ago, too. You are lucky, like me, to find this site & to have these guys around you for help. Welcome on board, Congratulations, and Good Luck!

Hey Bahi, you are going to love your boat and thanks

Marc..

February 13, 2008, 12:25:03 PM
Reply #19

Bygracealone

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2008, 12:25:03 PM »
Okay, when you come back in from shoveling the snow, all you need to do is show us a couple pics of the work you did.  

Thanks for sharing your story.  Good stuff...

February 13, 2008, 02:34:08 PM
Reply #20

Marcq

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2008, 02:34:08 PM »
Ok, so my wife likes the boat, it didn't take to long before she would ask " so honey, we're going boating this weekend ?" I knew the boat was far from ready to go boating but I said sure, hoping that it would rain for at least the next two weekends, which it did  :lol:

My first order of business was the trailer, I replaced both wheel bearings, one was shot , was going to change the leaf spring too since they were in very bad shape. When I took apart the leaf spring I noticed that both had a broken leaf  :shock: so that's why every time I was hitting a bump on the road coming back from NY the wheels would actually hit under the fender and lock the wheel  :shock: . I also replace the bunks , total cost was $200.00, not bad

Next was inside the boat, I removed the railing since I only had half of it, not sure if I would put them back on in the future I decided to cover the holes it had left with rubber rectangle mat, like what they have at home depot, it come in a roll of 30" wide by the lengths you need, I had some left overs, so I cut rectangles 3"x8" and glued them on top to cover all the holes, it did a very nice finish, and provides grip

I also removed the cushion in front of the center console, the staples holding the vinyl were rusting and staining, not sure I will replace. I also replace the peace of wood behind the steering wheel with plexi glass and the top too where the fishfinder and compass are located. all holes inside the boat were plugged or covered. I installed a bilge pump , removed to trim tab pump(there are not working, but in fix position)

On my first trip on the water I noticed that my 27gal fuel tank was leaking, took it out, cleaned it, patched the pin holes with JB weld and covered the  tank with 2 layers  fiberglass cloth and two part epoxy

That's about it, took the boat out 15 times last summer, what a joy.
Floor is solid, transom also(I'm surprise for it's age)
I paid $1,625.00, spend $200.00 on the trailer, $250.00 on the boat and I'm a happy camper  :D

Wish I had more pictures of the work I actually did  :(
Next spring I promise

Marc..

February 13, 2008, 02:54:53 PM
Reply #21

Bygracealone

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2008, 02:54:53 PM »
Thanks Marc,

What a great ending to a great story.  

Hey, did you have to do anything to the interior, like the console? It looks really clean...

February 13, 2008, 03:17:35 PM
Reply #22

Marcq

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2008, 03:17:35 PM »
Quote from: "Bygracealone"

Hey, did you have to do anything to the interior, like the console? It looks really clean...

Beside the plexi, not really, I painted the wood under the console black and the wood support for the rod holder black, that's it.

I got the feeling that the original owner of the boat (not the one that sold me the boat) took really good care of the boat and it shows. The only issue was the tank and that's understandable

Thanks, Marc..

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal