Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
240 Rebuilds / Re: 1974' Aquasport 240 CC Rebuild
« Last post by Ulysses485 on Today at 04:59:59 PM »
Got around to measuring up and cutting the console down to fit the new T-Top. Need to grab a couple of sheets of Melamine to use as mold backer to build it back. I cant wait to get a deck built and start mocking stuff up!!

240 Rebuilds / Re: 1974' Aquasport 240 CC Rebuild
« Last post by Ulysses485 on Today at 04:57:09 PM »
Got the bottom of the hull gel coated underneath the fuel tank subfloor and subfloor glassed in. I used some cut up glass panels from another project as a "Mold backer" and it worked out great for the purpose. Getting close to putting foam back in the stringers.

Electronics / Re: Primer Solenoid
« Last post by Capt. Bob on Today at 01:20:03 PM »
Very good. Now enjoy!

You are looking for the model 175 you have. Something like "J175PXST" correct?

You may be able to back in to the model (fairly close anyway) by reviewing the OMC model letters with what you have i.e. shaft length, electric start, etc.

If so, start here: https://marinepartssource.com/blog/identifying-evinrude-johnson-outboard-motors
Generic Aquasport Rebuilding Topics / Re: 1973 196 rebuild question
« Last post by dbiscayne on Today at 09:52:25 AM »
Other than Coosa or similarly priced materials or plywood, what other decking materials work.

I've had good luck with Nida Core (Plascore) using it for deck core, used 5/8" and 3/4" but it has its drawbacks.
Two versions available, with a scrim and without. Just a thin covering on the surface to help attach fiberglass. Get the scrim.
My layup for each side was a light coat of resin onto the scrim, then 1 layer 1708, and 1 layer of woven 12 oz., all wet on wet. Panels are reasonably light & stiff as long as you're not having to span a long distance without supports, 2 foot x 4 foot area was no problem.
The edges are the most work. If you've got an opening for a hatch and need to fill the sides of the honeycomb it takes some time but not a deal breaker. You also can't put a screw into it without prep, filling in the honeycombs, I added Divinicell as a backer where I knew I'd have screws.
It's cheaper than structural foam core.
« Last post by Duffy1470 on Today at 08:16:07 AM »
Rick, I am having Pic issues. Do you want to discuss via email?
Fiberglass and Materials Corner / Re: Cabin Ceiling
« Last post by RickK on May 01, 2024, 05:14:15 PM »
Do you have access to a fiberglass store? You might look for a small piece of Plascore or other honeycomb composite.  They're very easy to work with and when it's glassed on both sides, it's stiff.
On the bare hatch glass I would grind it down and if the sliding hatch is already stiff (can't twist it), then add some 3 oz CSM (chopped fiberglass) and roll on the resin (I assume poly).  If it's not already stiff then I would add a layer of 1708 CSM side out on top of the CSM added as the first layer. That will stiffen it up.  Then cut your composite (you could use plywood, 1/2 or even 3/8" with glass on both sides is beefy enough. Trowel on thickened resin on the hatch, as Fishhead mentioned, lay in the core and you can wedge a 2x4 up against it to press it into the resin. If you're going to top coat it with a layer of glass then you might want to bevel the edge of whatever core you decide to use - 1708 doesn't like to traverse corners.
Fiberglass and Materials Corner / Re: Cabin Ceiling
« Last post by Willpow on May 01, 2024, 03:03:25 PM »
What’d you end up doing here? My 19-6FF  had wet plywood that i removed and am about to replace. Debating if i should brace it out or just glass in fresh 3/4 marine ply.
« Last post by Duffy1470 on May 01, 2024, 12:29:53 PM »
Thanks Rick. I will give that a shot.
« Last post by RickK on May 01, 2024, 05:39:05 AM »
Duffy, when you upload your pics, upload them into your member gallery. The "Rebuilds in process" was a good idea but once your pics are there you have to hunt for them. They are not grouped together, just appear when you upload them. If someone else uploads their pics are mixed with yours.
I moved the pic you uploaded, into your member gallery. When in your member gallery there is no struggle to find them.

As for posting the pic, you've already done the hard part. Look through this tutorial and start from #8 to post to your topic. http://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?topic=12725.0
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal