Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: 175 Osprey Bow Cushion project  (Read 1779 times)

June 26, 2012, 04:58:12 PM
Read 1779 times

louiefl

• Information Offline
175 Osprey Bow Cushion project
« on: June 26, 2012, 04:58:12 PM »
One of the problems with a boat like the 175 is the lack of cushioned seating when using the boat for activites other than fishing. I searched for examples of bow cushions on this model and did see one for sale (unfortunately you had to buy the boat too) that covered the entire raised casting platform up front. I called a couple local marine canvas folks and got a price between $800 and $1,200 so that was out for the moment.

I found that you could buy large rectangle cooler cushions from igloo with snaps, but that would look weird and be a potential trip hazard due to the uneven surface. I took some measurements of the casting platform area and entered it into my cad program and plotted out templates with a goal to talk to another marine cushion shop in the area.

I wandered into Marine Connection Liquidators in Ft Pierce (no ties to that business) and they had literally hundreds of cushions - rectangles, squares, all sorts of oddball shapes. They had a some bigger cushions and found the pair in the first picture. Dirty and way too big, but when I cleaned a small corner, they were stark white underneath, no rips, scratches, or scuffs, and the seams and zippers were tight. At $60 for the pair, the worst I could do would be to cut then with a utility knife and white duct tape the edge, so I bought them.

Once I got them home they cleaned up with soap and water, a little 409 here and there, and a magic eraser on a couple small tough spots. Now to get them to fit. I had a shop in Jensen Beach trim them - they kept the inner and lower edges from the original cushion, preserving the smooth vinyl band. They cut the excess off along the curved edge, installed new welting, reattached the mesh bottom, shortened the back zippers and reinstalled the cushion snap straps for $200 for the pair. They said the cushions looked like they had never been used and the foam was like new. After installing a few snaps through the deck, they look great and aren't going anywhere. All in, maybe $270 a little running around, and maybe a couple hours doing the templates and installing the snaps.

If I'm going out fishing, I'll leave them in the garage, otherwise they only take a minute to snap in place. You can still access the fish box which I use for dry storage when not full of ice and fish as the cushions lift in the center when you open the hatch cover.
1996 Osprey 175 Johnson 88 SPL

June 26, 2012, 07:08:08 PM
Reply #1

pete

• Information Offline
Re: 175 Osprey Bow Cushion project
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 07:08:08 PM »
Very,very nice!Those look great!Way to get creative! :salut:
2003  Osprey 225
Palm Bay FL

June 26, 2012, 10:39:51 PM
Reply #2

gman 82 aquasport

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 10:39:51 PM »
Good looking cushions, amazingly hard  to find ones that fit....I had to have mine made( 4 pieces) for my 19-6, but got lucky and the local boat mechanic told me about a lady near them that retired from a furniture manufacturing plant and she does their repair work, went and saw her and $250.00 later and 1 week had my 4 cushoins for the bow..Have since gone back and had her redo my console seat on the front and make a back cushion that fits between the bars on the front of the t-top, need to be comfy to keep everyboby wanting to go out....
1982 19-6 Osprey
1992 Johnson 150
"THERAPY"
Member # 2331

June 29, 2012, 06:56:26 AM
Reply #3

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 06:56:26 AM »
Nice  :cheers:
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal