Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Wood replacement on gunwhale  (Read 1416 times)

January 29, 2012, 02:34:15 PM
Read 1416 times

jaycal3

• Information Offline
Wood replacement on gunwhale
« on: January 29, 2012, 02:34:15 PM »
This may be a newb question but I am looking to clean this boat up and think the wood on the top of the gunwhales needs to be replaced (along with the other wood all around).  I am almost afraid to take it off as I am not sure what is under it... Has anyone replaced this? And if so, with what?  Teak?

Here are a couple pics:
http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww53 ... 5bd96c.jpg
http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww53 ... becb25.jpg
"King of the C\'s"

1986 250 Osprey with a 2012 E-Tec 200 HO

Do your part for Leukemia research - help find a cure.

January 29, 2012, 02:52:02 PM
Reply #1

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
Re: Wood replacement on gunwhale
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 02:52:02 PM »
Pop the screw covers off, take the screws out, and the boards will come out.  You can then sand them and refinish them.  What you put back on depends on what you like.  Teak oil is easy but requires more maintenance.  A UV varnish (Interlux Schooner, etc.) looks pretty, lasts longer than oil, but will check or require recoating if exposed to sun for too long.  Sikkens probably lasts the longest, but requires more coats and prep.  Do both sides or the board will tend to warp.  To some extent, the answer is the same - you get out of it what you put into it...  

Once you refinish, screw them back down and re-cover the holes.  You can buy pre-cut teak hole covers/plugs at a good marine supply place, or cut your own if you have a plug cutter bit.  Seal the screw covers well with caulk or sealer so water does not get in there and cause problems.
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

February 04, 2012, 10:59:38 PM
Reply #2

jaycal3

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 10:59:38 PM »
Quote from: "GoneFission"
Pop the screw covers off, take the screws out, and the boards will come out.  You can then sand them and refinish them.  What you put back on depends on what you like.  Teak oil is easy but requires more maintenance.  A UV varnish (Interlux Schooner, etc.) looks pretty, lasts longer than oil, but will check or require recoating if exposed to sun for too long.  Sikkens probably lasts the longest, but requires more coats and prep.  Do both sides or the board will tend to warp.  To some extent, the answer is the same - you get out of it what you put into it...  

Once you refinish, screw them back down and re-cover the holes.  You can buy pre-cut teak hole covers/plugs at a good marine supply place, or cut your own if you have a plug cutter bit.  Seal the screw covers well with caulk or sealer so water does not get in there and cause problems.

I should have known that sounded too easy... way too easy!  So I unscrewed the pole holders that go through the wood and removed them.  I then unscrewed all the screws holding it into the gunwhale... well wouldn't you know, the damn stuff is glued down by some crazy super strength adhesive... I am prying carefully and systematically taking care not to mar the fiberglass and no get the wood off in one piece... yeah, no dice... it started to split near the hole for the pole holder... It looks to me as though there is another wood block under fiberglass at each hole... I guess to reinforce it and give something to screw into.  

Anyway, I will be removing the wood most likely without any chance of saving it. Its not in great shape anyway but a shame to waste teak this way... Once removed I will try to replace it with teak again.  If I cant find 8'x6" lengths of teak, would red oak do?  Walnut maybe?  Do you recommend using adhesive again - I am thinking no since it would make refinishing a bear...

Thanks in advance,
J
"King of the C\'s"

February 04, 2012, 11:19:44 PM
Reply #3

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 11:19:44 PM »
You must use teak. Other woods will split/rot.

Or, you could go with starboard that has been routed longitudinally with tight stripes for non-slip effect.

February 05, 2012, 06:42:47 AM
Reply #4

fitz73222

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
    • http://www.hudson-technologies.com/.
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 06:42:47 AM »
Did you try a heat gun to soften the adhesive? It may only be glued around the perimeter. Replacing the teak with a plank the size you are talking about would be crazy expensive. Teak is a "controlled" wood now do to restrictions against global deforestation so the premium Burma teak is technically banned from import into the US. It is farmed in some countries for export but the quality is lousy. When I was hunting some a couple of years ago I found it for sale on ebay from a yacht builder who would sell scraps from teak decks he was replacing. Now this guy had warehouses full of scrap including planks he was willing to sell and the transaction went smoothly through pay pal. Mahogany would be an excellent replacement with similar durability as teak at half the cost.
1973 Aquasport 22-2, twin 115 Mercs
2000 Baycraft 175 flats boat, 60 Bigfoot Merc
1968 Boston Whaler 13, 25 Yamaha (project)
1966 Orlando Clipper 13, 9.9 Merc

February 05, 2012, 11:44:24 AM
Reply #5

slippery73

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 11:44:24 AM »
Quote from: "jaycal3"

I should have known that sounded too easy... way too easy!  So I unscrewed the pole holders that go through the wood and removed them.  I then unscrewed all the screws holding it into the gunwhale... well wouldn't you know, the damn stuff is glued down by some crazy super strength adhesive... I am prying carefully and systematically taking care not to mar the fiberglass and no get the wood off in one piece... yeah, no dice... it started to split near the hole for the pole holder... It looks to me as though there is another wood block under fiberglass at each hole... I guess to reinforce it and give something to screw into.  

Anyway, I will be removing the wood most likely without any chance of saving it. Its not in great shape anyway but a shame to waste teak this way... Once removed I will try to replace it with teak again.  If I cant find 8'x6" lengths of teak, would red oak do?  Walnut maybe?  Do you recommend using adhesive again - I am thinking no since it would make refinishing a bear...

Thanks in advance,
J

You don't want to use any common domestic wood species to replace your teak. A good alternative would be Ipe, its great outdoors, we use it for decks and many exterior applications. It isn't used for furniture much because it is very difficult to glue, so its better if you don't have any joints. It will glue, but glue surface needs to be wiped with acetone, hit with a propane torch, only epoxy for glue.

Good side about it though, its about 1/5th the price of teak, is readily available in larger sizes, and will weather as good or better than teak.

Check out these lumber suppliers, not sure exactly where you are, but they should be fairly close.

http://www.thewoodrack.net/
http://www.parkervillewoodproducts.com/
http://www.cwghardwoodoutlet.com/

February 05, 2012, 12:48:34 PM
Reply #6

seagate

• Information Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 12:48:34 PM »
I'm with gran starboard looks good and last forever.

February 07, 2012, 02:23:47 PM
Reply #7

jaycal3

• Information Offline
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 02:23:47 PM »
Quote from: "slippery73"

Thanks in advance,
J

You don't want to use any common domestic wood species to replace your teak. A good alternative would be Ipe, its great outdoors, we use it for decks and many exterior applications. It isn't used for furniture much because it is very difficult to glue, so its better if you don't have any joints. It will glue, but glue surface needs to be wiped with acetone, hit with a propane torch, only epoxy for glue.

Good side about it though, its about 1/5th the price of teak, is readily available in larger sizes, and will weather as good or better than teak.

Check out these lumber suppliers, not sure exactly where you are, but they should be fairly close.

http://www.thewoodrack.net/
http://www.parkervillewoodproducts.com/
http://www.cwghardwoodoutlet.com/
Thanks for the links and the info.  I think I am going to use IPE.  For the price of two 8ft boards of teak I can get enough IPE to re-do all the trim on the boat 5 times over.  The Starboard, while certainly long lasting, just looks fake to me - maybe because it is.  I think for me it would be hard to go from teak to Starboard...
"King of the C\'s"

February 07, 2012, 03:18:13 PM
Reply #8

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 03:18:13 PM »
I saw that "...8' X 6" teak lumber"...

I thought, whoa, someone's gonna be in for a surprise! :shock:  :shock:

Corner of 520 and A1A...

February 08, 2012, 12:33:54 AM
Reply #9

bondobill

• Information Offline
  • West Coast
    • http://www.charliesautobodyinc.com/
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 12:33:54 AM »
Quote from: "seagate"
I'm with gran starboard looks good and last forever.
Replaced the teak with starboard on my 22'2 ff 5 years ago. Best dam thing I have done to the boat. Downriggers mounted  to wood just doesn't work.                  

Bill
1979 222 FF

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill

Bill

February 13, 2012, 11:39:21 AM
Reply #10

Spectre5922

• Information Offline
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 11:39:21 AM »
Quote from: "seabob4"
I saw that "...8' X 6" teak lumber"...

I thought, whoa, someone's gonna be in for a surprise! :shock:  :shock:

I looked into replacing the teak under my console. In my area, it's $.27/ sq. inch for 3/4"!      :shock:  It would have cost me around $400 to redo the caps and around $275-300 to redo the teak under the console. Needless to say, the console will be sitting on the floor and I have other plans for the caps.
1976 Aquasport 19-6
Old 1982 Evinrude Sea King 140

February 14, 2012, 08:42:47 PM
Reply #11

jaycal3

• Information Offline
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 08:42:47 PM »
Well I spent $70 on (2) 8'x6"x1" IPE boards... Teak would have been 5x the cost... Once I get it cut and routed I will post up some pics.  Gotta figure out how to "finish" the Ipe.
"King of the C\'s"

February 17, 2012, 09:58:01 PM
Reply #12

slippery73

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 09:58:01 PM »
Well I spent $70 on (2) 8'x6"x1" IPE boards... Teak would have been 5x the cost... Once I get it cut and routed I will post up some pics.  Gotta figure out how to "finish" the Ipe.

It doesn't need a finish, if you do want to add some kind of protection use tung oil.  This will help keep it from turning grey as well.

Make sure you use a mask or respirator while machining, sanding, etc.  The dust is toxic and can make you sick.

February 19, 2012, 11:20:49 AM
Reply #13

Spectre5922

• Information Offline
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 11:20:49 AM »
On mine, I used some left over 3/4" ply from the transom rebuild. I cut them and ground the outside radius to match the contour of the hull. I then resin-coated the whole thing, layed up 2 layers of glass on the bottom, then attached them to the hull. While I am doing the other glass work I will permanently glass them in place (tops, sides and ends). This doesn't have quite the visual appeal of the teak caps, but it is permanent and structurally solid with no maintenance involved. I have deviated far enough from the 100% stock look of the boat that I am not worried about removable caps that require maintenance. From what I understand, the caps are somewhat structural anyway, so having them permanent seemed like a good idea.
1976 Aquasport 19-6
Old 1982 Evinrude Sea King 140

March 09, 2012, 10:56:40 AM
Reply #14

jaycal3

• Information Offline
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 10:56:40 AM »
Ok, I finally had a nice day to work on her and managed to get the boards off.  What a mess of adhesive residue etc underneath.  What would the best method be to get a clean surface?  Will acetone be ok on the fiberglass or should I just use some type of scraper?  Heat?  I was thinking a gasket scraper or flat razor should do the trick without marring the fiberglass... thoughts?  Keep in mind its over a 7ft run on each side so its gonna take some time.
Thanks,
J
"King of the C\'s"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal