Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Tradional cuisine (Fish)  (Read 2251 times)

March 09, 2008, 12:36:23 PM
Read 2251 times

Bahi

• Information Offline
Tradional cuisine (Fish)
« on: March 09, 2008, 12:36:23 PM »
Hello undertow2,

I just posted same below reply -question about how we tradionally cook the fish- under the same old topic, but I thought it would be better to reposting it under a new topic, in case someone else would be interested in this new subject or wants to comment.

If I'll talk about tradional cooking, I have to mention first that I'm Egyptian living in Qatar. I don't know about the Qatari tradional cuisine, but I'll tell you about how we cook them in Egypt. In general, we bake the big size fish in the oven with fresh vegetables, such as potatos & tomatos, but make sure to add lots on onion & green/chilli peppers. For the small size fish, they are more tasty if fried. We may cut the big size fish with bones/filleted & fry them, too. In any case, if you will cook the whole fish, stuff them with a mix of salt, white/black/chilli pepper (chilli pepper always optional), dry & fresh parsley, and a lot of ground cumin & garlic.

Below, you will find two great detailed Egyptian recipes for both medium & big size fish.

1st RECIPE

Ingredients:
2 garlic cloves
1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves
1/2 table spoon ground cumin
1/4 cup parsley leaves
Salt and black/white/chilli pepper to taste
1/4 cup olive oil
1 whole fish, filleted
4 cups chopped vegetable mixture: potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, red capsicum, green capsicum
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup pitted green olives
1 teaspoon ground dried coriander
2 bay leaves
1 table spoon fresh grated ginger
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 table spoon freshly ground black pepper

Direction:
Combine the garlic cloves, fresh coriander leaves, fresh parsley leaves, ground cumin, salt and pepper and olive oil in a food processor and mix until blended.

Rinse the fish then season with salt and pepper.

Place the chopped vegetables in a large pot, add water and cook over a medium heat.

When the vegetables begin to cook remove from the burner and spoon the mixture into a baking dish. Add the bay leaves and place the fish on top.

Mix the remaining olive oil, coriander, ginger, salt and pepper and bread crumbs, and spread over the fish covering it completely, and place in the oven to bake. The length of time it will take to bake will depend upon the size of the fish.

Garnish with the green olives just before serving.

2nd RECIPE

Ingredients:

1-Seasoning
Garlic
Green bay leaves
Green parsley
Salt and pepper
Olive oil
Lemon juice
Chilli pepper

2-Big fish
Big fish slices
Salt and pepper
Olive oil

3-Butter Sauce
Fish seasoning
Cold butter cut in small pieces
Lemon juice

Direction:
1-Seasoning
• Chop garlic, bay leaves, parsley and coarse chilli pepper.
• Mix with olive oil and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper and mix well.

2-Big fish
• Season fish with salt and pepper.
• Heat oil and add fish pieces. Fry until their color is changed, then turn on the other side and fry.
• Pour some of the seasoning mixture on it .Set aside for a while.
• Remove from heat .Put aside in the serving dish.

3-Butter Sauce
• Put the rest of the seasoning mixture in the same frying pan of fish.
• Add cold butter and lemon juice .Mix until butter melts.
• Remove from heat when it is hot .Pour sauce on tuna or serve next to it.

Try them & tell me your opinin.
Capt. Bahi is an Egyptian Sailor (Laser Class)

Sold to POUNDBURY:
\'84 Osprey 170 / \'97 Yamaha 115hp

March 09, 2008, 12:47:12 PM
Reply #1

Bahi

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 12:47:12 PM »
Another recipe for fried grouper:

Ingredients:
Big pieces of groupers
Ground mustard
Ground carnation
Ground dry coriander
Cumin powder
Ground turmeric
Salt
Chili powder
Flour
Oil for frying
Coco-nut milk
Fish stock (or chicken or meat stock)
Curry leaves

Directions:
• Mix ground mustard with carnation, coriander, cumin, turmeric, salt, pepper and chili powder, then season fish with the mixture. Set aside some of the mixture to be used with sauce.
• Cover the spicy pieces of fish with flour from both sides. Fry in little oil until they have a brown color on both sides.
• Spray the fish with the remaining mixture. Add coco-nut milk, stock and curry foils.
• Simmer on low heat until it is cooked.
• Remove the curry foils .
• Serve the fried groupers with white rice.

Sold to POUNDBURY:

March 09, 2008, 01:00:48 PM
Reply #2

Bahi

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 01:00:48 PM »
I was just calling my wife at home, and she reminded me of one of the best tradional seafood recipes. We call it "Samak Sayyadiya" or "Fish on fisherman way". Any fish that can withstand frying and then baking may be used for this recipe.

Ingredients:

2 medium size whole fish
1/4 cup lemon juice
4 table spoon salt
Pepper
1 tea spoon dry coriander powder
1 tea spoon dry cumin powder
2 garlic cloves, crushed
3/4 cup flour
Oil for frying

The Sauce:
4 table spoon vegetable oil
1 large onion, sliced
2 cup tomato juice
1/4 tea spoon chili pepper

Directions:
- Clean the fish inside and out with lemon juice and 4 table spoons of salt.
- Combine flour, salt, pepper, and coriander powder.
- Combine the cumin powder with the garlic, mix together and stuff the fish with a little of the mixture.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the onions saute until they turn brown.
- Add the remaining garlic and cumin mixture and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add a little salt and pepper to the mixture, then add the hot pepper, and tomato juice.
- Leave this on the hot fire for 15 minutes to reduce the liquid.
- During this time, coat the fish in the flour mixture.
- Heat more oil and fry the fish on both sides until light brown.
- Remove from the frying pan and place the fish in a large baking dish and pour the tomato sauce over the fish.
- Place this in a pre-heated, 350 degree oven for 15 minutes or till the fish has absorbed the sauce.

Sold to POUNDBURY:

March 09, 2008, 01:15:33 PM
Reply #3

Bahi

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 01:15:33 PM »
I forgot to tell you that it would be better to serve the last receipe with brown rice;
- fry a midium onion in oil till it turns dark brown
- add 2 glasses of water & leave it to boil, then add salt
- add 2 glasses of white rice & leave it to boil again
- cover it, reduce the heat to the minimum, and remix them with a large spoon after about 5 minutes (when water doesn't appear on top of the rice)
- cook it on the low heat for 30-40 minutes

These are enough for the day. Tell me your opinion, and pass me what good tradional recipes do you have. ;o)

Sold to POUNDBURY:

March 09, 2008, 07:18:07 PM
Reply #4

Marcq

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 07:18:07 PM »
Thanks Bahi, just can't wait to try your fish recipe, love coriander and cumin but never tried it with fish

Marc..
1979 170 Aquasport 70hp Evinrude

March 09, 2008, 08:50:43 PM
Reply #5

Undertow2

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 08:50:43 PM »
Bahi-

I will definitely try one or more of those recipes here in the next few weeks.  My recipes are MUCH simpler on most occasions.

I am terribly partial to Paul Prudhomme's Redfish magic.  Coat the fish with melted sweet cream butter, season heavily and throw on extremely hot open flame or cast iron pan.  I am originally from New Orleans so the flavors suit me.  Frying with Dixie Lily/Peanut oil is also good.
My absolute favorite is Grouper I put in my Great-grandmas seafood gumbo recipe.  Everyone who claims to be a fish eater should have some of my gumbo grouper.  The gumbo ain't too shabby either.

Just today I made Blackened Redfish salad with mayo, dash red vinegar, black pepper, Crystal hot sauce, onion and garlic powder, Tony Chachere's seasoning and a tad of mustard.  Of course the redfish magic was on the cooked fish.  I put that on a toasted baguette roll and that was my pack lunch I took to the Florida Sportsman expo.  I couldn't help but think that this would have also done some club crackers justice.  I'll be making this again real soon.

Steve

March 10, 2008, 02:47:24 AM
Reply #6

Bahi

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 02:47:24 AM »
Bon Appetit, Marc & Steve! Don't forget the feedback, after trying them. :wink:

Sold to POUNDBURY:

March 11, 2008, 05:19:42 PM
Reply #7

Marcq

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 05:19:42 PM »
Bahi, I'm making your first recipe, at witch temp should I set the oven at ?

Marc..

March 11, 2008, 11:23:01 PM
Reply #8

Marcq

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 11:23:01 PM »
Well, what can I say..........................................? This is by far the best fish dish I ever had in my life, no kidding, as soon that I mixed the herbs and spice, I knew it was going to be good , my only concern was the ginger at the end, but it turned out perfect, a little sweet with the spicy, great

The only thing I did different was that I left my vegetable cool down in the pan after they were cooked and leave some of the juice evaporate, once cooled I put the fish on top, with the mixture of bread crumbs, spice/herbs and into the oven at broil for 5min at 450 and finishing it at 400 normal for another 5 min. It came out perfect

Wow, I just can't wait to try the other ones, and this is from a guy that as been cooking for the past 30 years

Thanks Bahi

Marc..

March 12, 2008, 03:47:05 AM
Reply #9

Bahi

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 03:47:05 AM »
Sorry, Marc, that I wasn't available to help you, but it seems that you managed alone. Nice to hear that you liked the cecipe.  :D

Your special touches show that you are a real professional. Next time, I'll try it your own way.  :wink:

Thanks for the feedback!

Sold to POUNDBURY:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal