Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: My 1972 196 CC project  (Read 1418 times)

January 23, 2021, 04:20:02 PM
Read 1418 times

Houston_Stokes

• Information Offline
  • All Things Come To An End.
My 1972 196 CC project
« on: January 23, 2021, 04:20:02 PM »
This is my very first post so if its in the wrong location I do apologize.

This is my 1972 Aquasport 196 CC Osprey.

I picked the boat/trailer and 115 ocean runner up for $1000. My goal is to turn it into a brand new boat, essentially. The look I'm going for is like this Dorado ( look into the photos ).

I have a 04 Suzuki DF140 I picked up for another $800. My plans are to shiny it up, do a maintenance tune up, and probably run it once or twice before its sold to ensure its solid.

I have multiple questions so please bare with me...

1. Can I mount a transom bracket with this motor and not have any issues? I AM however re-doing the transom, with Coosa, and I'll be raising it about 5" from where it is now. I am doing hydraulic steering as a upgrade, so should i run a transom bracket or a hydraulic jackplate?

2. I'm probably going to put in a new poly tank, that being said about the motor and how it'll add weight...should I stick with a 45gallon poly tank and move it forward?

3. Are trim tabs a must? if so what's a good brand/model to add on that isn't costly but will bring more $$

4. I want to install 2 cooler/storage along the side towards the back ( like in the dorado ), how hard might this be?

Any recommendations on things is always appreciated and welcomed, I don't know everything so I try to stay humble.

MY GOAL:

To basically look like that Dorado, I want to do a T-Top/smaller console, a small transom bracket, Maybe a led light here and there and a decent GPS, fix up the float on trailer, a new paint job inside and out ( leaning on seafoam or a light blue and white on the inside textured)

The goal is to make 30-35k. Now with that being said I know I probably wont get that, near that, or even half that. But it is the goal for now and what I'm striving for. This boat might be used once or twice by me, but it's my big ticket item into getting a Powder Coat Business started. I've really been getting into it and i think its something i could make a good living on.

1972 196 CC Osprey

January 24, 2021, 06:58:59 AM
Reply #1

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
Re: My 1972 196 CC project
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 06:58:59 AM »
Welcome aboard!!
Search for a member named Blue Agave - he has done exactly what you want to do on his 196 Osprey.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

January 24, 2021, 10:37:48 AM
Reply #2

mshugg

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
Re: My 1972 196 CC project
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 10:37:48 AM »
As Rick mentioned, check out Blue Agave’s posts.  His success putting a bracket on his 196 encouraged me to put one on my 200CCP. I’m glad I made the choice. 

The bracket v jackplate decision depends on your intended use.  Skinny water use tilts toward jackplate or porta-bracket. Safety in offshore seas tilts toward bracket.  The extra flotation provided by my Armstrong bracket helps keep the scuppers high and dry. 

There’s a great thread over on Classic Seacraft that discusses pros and cons of a bracket on a Seacraft 20 (similar in size and weight to 196, but running surface is different). Here’s a link: http://www.classicseacraft.com/community/showthread.php?t=19779

Poly tanks are great, but limited in size options.  I couldn’t find one that worked for my rebuild, so went aluminum.

With either a bracket or jackplate, I think you’ll find tabs essential.  They’re nice to have on almost any boat.  I’ve used Bennett tabs on every boat I’ve owned, and went with Bennett Bolts on my CCP.  I’ve never had a problem with them.

The Dorado traces it’s lineage to the Aquasport 222.  You can certainly put storage outside the stringers aft, but you’ll find space a bit tight on the 196.

The 196 is a great platform, and it sounds like you have a good plan for what you want.  I’m looking forward to following your build.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal