Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Trailer Registration help  (Read 985 times)

April 24, 2012, 08:52:04 PM
Read 985 times

jsylvester08

• Information Offline
Trailer Registration help
« on: April 24, 2012, 08:52:04 PM »
Hi everyone,
So here is my problem.
@ years ago I bought a boat/trailer and have used it for 2 years. I never registered the trailer because I live only a mile from the launch and would just swap the family utility trailer plate to get to the water. Now I want to bring the trailer down to NY where I now live. The owner before me was in the same boat, lived close to the water so never registered the trailer. Now I dont have a title or previous registration. Is there any way that I can create or get a new "proof of ownership" to get it registered?
Thanks for everyones help
JP

April 24, 2012, 10:15:48 PM
Reply #1

gman 82 aquasport

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
Re: Trailer Registration help
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 10:15:48 PM »
Not sure about your state, but in North Carolina, you can either get a bonded title(a little more expensive) if the trailer still has ID # on it, bond covers should someone come up later and claim trailer as theirs...Or the old standby, get a title certificate for a homemade trailer and stamp the new # on the trailer tongue and axles(must remove any trace of old #)then trailer has to be inspected by a member of the NC Highway Patrol or a rep of the NC DMV..as being road worthy, then if all is correct , they issue you a new title on the trailer as home made..Now bare in mind that NC is a title state, they title trailers, boats,vehicles,jetskis,etc...Maybe a call to your state wildlife office(or whoever does boat registrations) or Dept of Motor Vehicles might get you some more detailed answers for your state. :salut:
1982 19-6 Osprey
1992 Johnson 150
"THERAPY"
Member # 2331

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal