Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: 1996 175 trolling motor wiring run....at the point I need HELP!!  (Read 183 times)

March 16, 2022, 07:50:12 AM
Read 183 times

Cbum1

• Information Offline
I am presently pulling my hair out but there's not much left up there..ugh! I am going to locate my single 27lb 24-volt lithium battery in the center console for an 80lb riptide terrova. I was planning on running 3/4" nonmetallic conduit through the access in the console starboard side floor, under the deck near the fuel fill line and between the inner and outer hulls, up to the bow. Problem is: There is about 1/4" between the inner and outer hulls in the area of the fuel fill line. The fuel fill line has a bump out in the gunwale so it can run from under the center to the starboard gas fill cap but there's no room to squeeze by. Does the space between the inner and outer hulls increase anywhere as you go forward?

Any HELP is greatly appreciated on where to run this conduit!!!

I have looked through the access hatch in the fwd fish box with lights and my phone camera and I see where they ran the wiring for the fish box pump out, but it also looks like 1/4" hole or space they ran it through. My navigation light wiring for the bow light runs from under the console, through the access hole, under the floor and up between the inner and outer hulls. It crosses at a point near the step down from the casting deck and the main deck. I cannot see how much space is in there as well.

Has anyone drilled a 1" hole in the inner hull on an angle to allow the conduit to run forward through the inner hull, in the area of the fuel line deck access plate?? I'm pretty friggin scared to try and risk hitting and damaging that fuel line but would if that has been tried and accomplished by one of you 175 owners.

Has anyone drilled a 4" or 5" hole in the upper starboard side of the plastic fishbox?? I could mount a deck plate up in there to cover it but I'm hesitant because I have no idea if there is room to run the conduit from the center access, under the deck and up into that area.

I tried and thought of running the conduit from under the console "straight fwd" to the bow but I think the coffin box for the fuel tank, or a bulkhead is what I hit only about 2' fwd.   

Soon I will be using my son's old GoPro attached to a stick to further investigate my options in those areas but wanted to post to see if anyone has had success getting this conduit up there.

Thanks and have a great day!!

March 17, 2022, 01:24:54 PM
Reply #1

CTsalt12

• Information Offline
Re: 1996 175 trolling motor wiring run....at the point I need HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2022, 01:24:54 PM »
Well you are in luck because I have done this exact job before.  But, I have a 1989 as upposed to your 97.  Can you send a picture of the "Fuel fill bump out in gunwhale"?

First thing, not sure about nonmettalic conduit, I think typical standard is marine grade wire and use the gauge specified by the length of the run of the wire.  Minn Kota has a table you can look up to determine gauge.

I did not drill any new holes nor did I need to.  What I did was pulled out my anchor lights from bow to stern, with a rigging chase line attached securely.  Once the rigging chase was in the console, I attached the trolling motor positive and negative leads (6 GA If i recall) and pulled it through with the rigging chase line. 

alternately, you could do the same with the fuel vent hose.  You shouldn't need much of a gap (1/4 inch should befine) to get the leads through.
Jimbo
1989 175 Osprey

March 17, 2022, 05:13:20 PM
Reply #2

Cbum1

• Information Offline
Re: 1996 175 trolling motor wiring run....at the point I need HELP!!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2022, 05:13:20 PM »

Thank you very much for the response!!! I inserted the picture, but it doesn't show up in the preview, I'll try again after I post it if it isn't there.

The wire I used is 8 awg which is the recommendation for a run up to 15' in length, this would be about 11' total. The reason I would like to run it in conduit is that I have opted to do a single 24-volt lithium battery which will run at higher amps for a longer duration and I'm guessing that will generate more heat in the leads. I don't mind crossing the gas fill line or the vent hose, but I'd definitely prefer it in conduit. 

I was able to run a chase line up to the bow from the access hatch with a wire fish and I think it's in the pic I attached, but ran into that small gap, near the fuel line, below the deck between the inner hull and gunwale.

Believe me I truly appreciate your response; I'm not trying to be snarky at all!!! Please correct me if I am wrong with the info I have indicated!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal