You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Aquasport Model Rebuilds, Mods, Updates and Refreshes > 240 Rebuilds

1974' Aquasport 240 CC Rebuild

(1/5) > >>

Ulysses485:
Unexpectedly, my "240 Family boat" project took a turn on me. Hopefully for the better on the back end of the project (Gelcoat finish). However, I am going to have to get the circular saw, multi-tool, Sawzall, chisel, etc. back out. Going from a cabin style hull (Seahunter) to CC project would have been challenging (due to stringer layout) for me with how I wanted it and keeping the raised cap. Also, the opportunity was too easy to pass up. The inside is complete filth and someone laid textured gelcoat everywhere that is peeling (from what looks to have been really poor prep) but its all coming out anyhow (undecided on if I want to keep or rebuild the casting deck). The center console it came with is HUGE and although I do like the helm layout, it will likely get replaced unless i can cut it down and make it a reasonable size. The hullside looks to be original gelcoat and a layer of thin gelcoat that was improperly applied that is proving easy to sand down. The 200hp 2.4L 20'' Merc on the back was sold last weekend.

So here it is..an Aquasport 240 Original Center Console outboard model. It is neat to finally see the rare specimen that is the Aquasport 240cc outboard model which I have only really seen in brochures.

The day after I got it....

Some of the listing photos:

Ulysses485:
Made some Demo progress.. nothing all that exciting but its progress. Most of this demo will likely happen at night when i have time in bad lighting so I apologize for the poor quality photos.

Removing the Console (its HUGE, and may sell it for something narrower if i see too much work out of a modification):

Fuel Tank Removal:

There was a bed of foam that the fuel tank was laying in. Completely saturated in water.

After foam was removed:

Almost felt like i was gardening. Never thought i would need a shovel in a boat.

Debris removed:

Got after the bottom paint using attachment for pressure washer I got on amazon and it worked better than expected. However, it has proven to be pretty rough with the sakcrete sand i got from lowes. The play sand was wet so i opted for this one. Fairing the bottom is in my future.  :16:

THERE IS EPOXY BARRIER COATING THAT WONT COME OFF WITHOUT SANDING: 

AFTER SANDING:

Tampa Bay Mike:
Diving right in. Nice! That console is huge but it looks nice. I'm looking for a similar shape for mine but need it to fit my tower. What attachment did you use to remove the bottom paint? I'll probably be removing mine down the road and pressure washing sounds better than sanding it all.

Ulysses485:

--- Quote from: Tampa Bay Mike on April 01, 2022, 09:06:42 AM ---Diving right in. Nice! That console is huge but it looks nice. I'm looking for a similar shape for mine but need it to fit my tower. What attachment did you use to remove the bottom paint? I'll probably be removing mine down the road and pressure washing sounds better than sanding it all.

--- End quote ---

I make progress now with a better understanding of what I am doing.  Time is running out...The boys are growing and need to get them on the water....lol! It will still be a "slow build" with limited time but my best progress is made with a lot of little projects that coincide with the proper time intervals and noise ordinances. Large layups will eventually happen on weekend summer nights.

The console has nice layout and could make it narrow but its 48'' long. Glass inside is raw and looks to be biaxial but thin and uncored.

The sandless blaster attachment is cheap on Amazon. It wont remove the epoxy barrier but I'd much rather hold the pressure washer gun then put my shoulder behind a DA or polisher sander AND wear the nasty green/blue bottom paint. I see myself going through A LOT of sand though. I went through just under 3 bags to remove the water line on one side. I might throw some tarps down to see if I can catch some of it but then it would have to be dried back out.

Link to Blaster attachment:
https://www.amazon.com/Tool-Daily-Sandblasting-Sandblaster-Attachment/dp/B08DNPJDSG/ref=sr_1_4?crid=30ZTLN43ZMALJ&keywords=dustless%2Bblaster&qid=1648820463&s=hi&sprefix=dustless%2Bblaster%2Ctools%2C62&sr=1-4&th=1

Treefish:
Really cool boat.  Can't wait to see the finished product. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version