Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: Replacing Fuel tank in 210 Explorer  (Read 310 times)

August 25, 2020, 07:13:43 PM
Read 310 times

mattleach2114

• Information Offline
Replacing Fuel tank in 210 Explorer
« on: August 25, 2020, 07:13:43 PM »
Have had my 92 Explorer 210 for 2 years. I have yet to fill the tank completely full but regularly fill to about 60 gallons or so. a few days after one of my last fill ups noticed a strong fuel odor from the cabin. Pulled the inspection plate and found a gallon or so of gas. Cleaned it all out, scrubbed the hull pretty good and let it all air out. After a week or so no more fuel was present.

Fast forward to my next fill up of about 40 gallons and same thing so it became obvious i have a leak somewhere on the tank.

Ordered a 12v automotive fuel pump and pumped as much out of the tank as i possibly could. Pulled the coffin lid off and was pleasantly surprised to find the tank not foamed in. After 20 minutes of convincing my wife and i got the tank out.

What we found was from the factory they used neoprene strips running from port to starboard in 4 different areas along the tank. These strips were adhered with 2 sided tape which degraded over time. Under every strip was pitting and corrosion where it appears water sat at some point and just slowly ate away at the tank. Other than those areas the tank was in overall great shape for being almost 30 years old.

New tank is currently being built and will be coated in coal tar epoxy for added protection and should be done sometime next week.

August 25, 2020, 09:48:20 PM
Reply #1

boatnamesue

• Information Offline
  • Jason
Re: Replacing Fuel tank in 210 Explorer
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 09:48:20 PM »
Not surprised....Neoprene (rubber)....prolly the worst material to use for tank installation. 
---------------
Jason
1976 AS 170
1998 S115TLRW

August 26, 2020, 08:17:45 AM
Reply #2

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 08:17:45 AM »
Boy, does that look familiar.

Mineral spirits will make your coffin look new.

Something to think about.
In the last photo, notice the white sealer on the pass thru between the forward bilge and the tank coffin. Water in the forward bilge passes into the coffin and flows under the tank support. It then is designed to flow out the rear pass thru into the rear bilge. I sealed both pass thru points to eliminate any water from entering the coffin at those points. That and sealing the hatch is to reduce the amount of water that can find its was into the coffin, thus promoting tank corrosion.

PS...if you look closely at your tank (forward section) you can see the water line mark on it. Same with mine.

Good luck. :thumright:
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

August 26, 2020, 10:34:06 AM
Reply #3

mattleach2114

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 10:34:06 AM »
Capt. Bob, when you put the new tank in, did you put anything under it like starboard strips to bottom of the tank off the bottom to allow a little airflow? The tank manufacturer made that suggestion  to put a few strips running bow to stern but figured id ask how you handled yours.

I've been using mineral spirits to clean the coffin, half tempted to paint it with bilge coat while im waiting for the new tank.

August 26, 2020, 01:32:56 PM
Reply #4

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 01:32:56 PM »
I used strips of commercial grade neoprene rubber cemented to the bottom of the tank. For all the fears of anything created from carbon lying next to aluminum tank, neoprene works very well because:

3M 5200 bonds very well to it and creates a barrier from the evils of galvanic corrosion.
Depending on the density you choose, it also provides better cushioning than plastic/starboard.

I mounted my tank at each end with aluminum brackets that I also used neoprene for chaff prevention between the tank and brackets. Again, the neoprene is attached to both sides with 3M 5200. Air circulates under the tank (to some degree) and I leave the deck access plates off when the boat is stored. I've only replaced two. One in my CCP back in 96 and the one in my 210 in 2010 so I'm no expert but it seems to work well.

Sealing the coffin well goes a long way to keep standing water off the surface of the tank. Condensation will evaporate with a little circulation and the aluminum surface will have little corrosion.

Good luck. :ScrChin:
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

August 26, 2020, 04:47:08 PM
Reply #5

mattleach2114

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 04:47:08 PM »
Sounds like the way to go. Thanks!

October 23, 2020, 09:53:33 PM
Reply #6

mattleach2114

• Information Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2020, 09:53:33 PM »
Replacement fuel tank was completed about a month or so ago but I was in the middle of moving so it sat in the garage. Finally got some free time to get it installed yesterday. Had the tank Coal Tar epoxied as an added measure.

Like Capt. Bob i 5200'd 6 neoprene strips roughly a foot long running lengthwise along the bottom to allow circulation and so any accumulating water will drain through. Thankfully it slid right in without fuss. Buttoned up all of the lines and wiring and resealed the deck lid.

Hoping to get her filled up this weekend and back on the water.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal