You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Aquasport Mechanicals - things that need a wrench, screwdriver or multimeter > Trolling Motors and Kickers

'99 175 osprey kicker motor question

(1/1)

TopherMichael:
Last year I bought a 1999 175 Osprey. The previous owner had at one point mounted had mounted a kicker motor bracket and motor. When I bought the boat, the owner did not include the motor, just the bracket that was attached.

This summer I picked up on CL a 2016 Suzuki DF6A 4 stroke (50lbs) for $225 as it was disassembled in 4 boxes and a portable gas tank (yes, this was a good deal). Well after ~ $150 in parts, I now have a good running kicker motor.

Would it be a bad idea to use this kicker motor when the boat is in the water? Would 50lbs mounted to an adjustable bracket be to much stress? The motor is easy to put on/take off when towing, so I wouldn't be towing with the motor attached.

I like the idea of having a back up plan when I am off the coast, sometimes ~10 miles out, depending on the chop.

wingnut:
I run the exact same kicker motor on my 170 for the same reason, free insurance policy just in case. I leave it installed. Check the specs on your bracket, many will be rated up to a certain horsepower or weight.

Mine did not have any specs or model numbers (I borrowed it from a sailboat in my yard), so I installed it and SLOWLY put my weight on it (150lbs). If it can handle my weight static, I figure it's good for a 50lb motor getting bounced around a bit. Better to fail in the yard than offshore. I do have a flexible cable locking it to the transom, which is more to prevent theft but would also keep it from going in the drink on the off chance it did come off the bracket.

The only issue I have is sitting at anchor, it lists to starboard a bit (perhaps 1" of difference at the transom waterline from one side to the other). I put it on the starboard side to keep all of my rigging in the same place, and also my batteries are on the port side of the console and I thought the weight would balance out better.

My two cents, I wouldn't really feel safe installing a motor when I'm offshore and it's really pitching. Safer to leave it installed, as long as your bracket is suitable.

TopherMichael:

--- Quote from: wingnut on August 28, 2020, 12:15:09 PM ---I run the exact same kicker motor on my 170 for the same reason, free insurance policy just in case. I leave it installed. Check the specs on your bracket, many will be rated up to a certain horsepower or weight.

Mine did not have any specs or model numbers (I borrowed it from a sailboat in my yard), so I installed it and SLOWLY put my weight on it (150lbs). If it can handle my weight static, I figure it's good for a 50lb motor getting bounced around a bit. Better to fail in the yard than offshore. I do have a flexible cable locking it to the transom, which is more to prevent theft but would also keep it from going in the drink on the off chance it did come off the bracket.

The only issue I have is sitting at anchor, it lists to starboard a bit (perhaps 1" of difference at the transom waterline from one side to the other). I put it on the starboard side to keep all of my rigging in the same place, and also my batteries are on the port side of the console and I thought the weight would balance out better.

My two cents, I wouldn't really feel safe installing a motor when I'm offshore and it's really pitching. Safer to leave it installed, as long as your bracket is suitable.

--- End quote ---

Do you have a bracket on the inside for the transom to distribute the extra weight? Also, are you using the internal tank or did you pipe in to the inner tank?

I know the previous owner made a rod to connect the 2 motors.

The only time the kicker would not be mounted is when trailering. I tested a short 2 mile ride and felt that the kicker motor bounced to much.

wingnut:
I used large fender washers on the inside of the transom, but that’s it. That said, it’s a brand new poured transom so I’m not super concerned about it pulling through. Kicker is so much lighter than primary motor.

I did hook mine up to my fuel system, through the second outlet on the filter/separator.

For steering, I have the kicker locked straight and steer with my 85. Won’t turn on a dime but it turns well enough; I couldn’t connect mine with a rod since the kicker mounts higher.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version