Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Wnter Project Questions on 84' 170 Osprey  (Read 1395 times)

August 30, 2005, 08:17:21 PM
Read 1395 times

Mr. Osprey

• Information Offline
Wnter Project Questions on 84' 170 Osprey
« on: August 30, 2005, 08:17:21 PM »
Hi all, just have a couple of questions on my Osprey.

Note: Boat is a 1984 170 Osprey

1. My windshield was breaked/removed by previous owner. Is this replaceable by Aquasport or should I custom order a piece of plexigass?

2. Also on my Aquasport the bottom hatch piece came off on the console. Since when I bought boat there was just an opening under console, (where wires are). Is this also a wood hatch or piece of plexiglass that Aquasport manufactures or do I have to make one.

3. My "glove compartment" right under the wheel and above the hatch has the plexiglass cover but has lost the "tiny ball piece" that fits up under the hole in the compartment to keep the door shut. Is it possible to find this, or another type of peice like it at a marine store or through Aquasport?

4. The wood in my boat inside the gunwhales and the trim on my console has faded and I don't know what kind od treatment it origanally was. I would like to know so I can treat early this fall.

5. All over my Aquasport are rust stains, dirt marks, dilth everywhere from this years use. What is the best stain remover to remove such stains?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions but I appreciate greatly of any input regarding any of my questions. Thank You.
Mr. Osprey

1971 Mako 17 Angler
1986 Evinrude 88 SPL

August 30, 2005, 09:08:15 PM
Reply #1

Miguel

• Information Offline
  • Panama
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 09:08:15 PM »
In order:
1.  Try UPDPLASTICS.COM for a replacement windshield for your boat.  Should run you about $150.00+shipping. (if you are in the US, unlike me).
2.   This is a wood hatch.  It is a louvered teak door that swings downwards.  You can see mine in my galklery, it is the original part.
3.  The tiny ball piece can be bought at any marine store.
4.  Your wood is teak.  Buy a Teak restorer (3 steps) and after some good elbow grease it will look like new!!!.  I'm pro - teak oil, but some people prefer varnish.......  There is a lot of information around on both systems
5.  If the marks are old and oxidized, it may be that you are in need of some rubbing compound.  Don't overdo it or you may end up eating thru the gelcoat.  Give it a good buff and then end with some good quality marine wax.
My 2 cents worth.  Some other members may have better ideas......
Miguel
1985 Osprey 170 / 1992 115HP Mariner
[/url]

September 06, 2005, 01:34:25 PM
Reply #2

Mr. Osprey

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 01:34:25 PM »
Does the hatch door swings downwards into the console or out onto the deck?
Mr. Osprey

1971 Mako 17 Angler
1986 Evinrude 88 SPL

September 06, 2005, 02:59:23 PM
Reply #3

steved

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 02:59:23 PM »
It swings outwards on mine, and I presume on all others too.  It is actually completely removable in that there are square brackets that hold it at the bottom but they are not screwed into the console itself.  When you unlock it and fold it down and outwards, it can then be removed.
22.2 CCP (1982)

September 06, 2005, 08:39:19 PM
Reply #4

Miguel

• Information Offline
  • Panama
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2005, 08:39:19 PM »
The hatch on my 170 swing downwards, out onto the deck.  
I realized that the pics in my gallery don´t show the hatch.  I´ll try and shot some for you soon, to use as reference.
Miguel
1985 Osprey 170 / 1992 115HP Mariner
[/url]

September 07, 2005, 11:09:47 PM
Reply #5

osprey170

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 11:09:47 PM »
Our 170 club keeps growing!

1. I second Miguel on UPDPLASTICS.COM they seem to have the best deal on an original like windshield.

2. Wood hatch as others have stated - mine was removable not hinged.  You can probably make one if your handy with wood working.  The levours could be tricky.

3.  I found an exact replacement for that part at boaters world.

4.  I refinished my wood by washing, sanding, and painting with Cetol Marine varnish from Sikkens.  Some of the teak purists don't like it because of the color but I believe it's some of the toughest stuff out there.  Low maintenance is what I was in it for.

5.  Get a soft deck brush to clean your rig after every use with mild soap and some bleach.  To get initial stains off I used some automotive degreaser to get grease and oil stains off.  I then went over the boat with a mild soap and bleach mixture.  This wont' get everything off but it's a start.  You'd be surprised at the difference.  If you really want to get it clean then you will need a lot of elbow grease and some rubbing compound.

Good luck!
1985 Osprey 170

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal