Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: What do I need to know about mid 80's 222 ccp  (Read 220 times)

August 15, 2020, 11:06:24 PM
Read 220 times

ThunderCougarFalconBoat

• Information Offline
What do I need to know about mid 80's 222 ccp
« on: August 15, 2020, 11:06:24 PM »
I'm very likely going to buy a 1986 222 ccp this week. I've read several posts, including the very helpful 'used Aquasport buyers guide'. But if anyone has any tips or warnings about this particular model, I'd love to hear them. My main points of concern are that the floor is not squishy, the transom looks and sounds solid, and that the gas tank isn't leaking or badly corroded. Anything else to add to this list?

The motor on this boat is a mid 90's suzuki 200 two stroke that isn't running properly, maybe not at all. I'll either get it fixed or swap it for an Evinrude 115 that I own (XL shaft meant for a 25 inch transom). My question is will 115 be way under powered for this v-hull?

Thanks in advance for any replies. I'll upload a bunch of pics if it ends up coming home with me.

-Matt

August 16, 2020, 04:42:51 AM
Reply #1

mshugg

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
Re: What do I need to know about mid 80's 222 ccp
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 04:42:51 AM »
No question the 115 will be underpowered For a CCP.  I have a 200 CCP with a 150 Mercury four stroke.  The 150 turned out to be a great power choice for my hull, but I wouldn’t want anything less.  The 222 CCP is  longer and wider, and According to published weights is about 200 pounds heavier.  In real world weights and fully loaded, It’s much more. 

With a 115, you’ll need to run at full throttle to stay on plane, and you’ll be sucking fuel like crazy. The boat may not even plane off when fully loaded.  Some people get by with a 115 on the 196/200 Osprey, but The CCPs are bigger hulls with deeper Vs that will need more HP.  you’d be a lot better off  holding out for a 200 or 225 for your boat.

August 16, 2020, 06:27:35 AM
Reply #2

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 06:27:35 AM »
In 1984, a 222 CCP base motor from the factory was a 185hp two stroke. I re-powered mine in 96 with a 200hp Evinrude. 200hp became the norm for these hulls. Mine ran 40+ loaded with that motor. Modern 4 strokes like my 150hp Yamaha would push that hull well in my opinion but a 200hp would be the ticket.

If the hull is still original, look for rot on the bow and transom lifting rings. If it has a forward hatch, look for rot around the edges. The 200 came with a shortened deck coffin (sans "cooler") while the 222 had the bigger coffin. I have seen (owned) a 222 with the shorter box and forward hatch.

Original tank will be toast. If it hasn't been replaced (properly) then plan on doing so also.

Batteries were located on the deck robbing splashwell/transom on each side. Moving them under the console does help offset weight in the stern.

CCPs have the "displacement" type deck drains. Check that the hose connections are sound. You can access (somewhat) those from the deck plates on each side of the splashwell. Those plates may be snap in type. I would suggest you replace with a quality screw down type to prevent water from entering the bilge in a following sea.

CCPs were Aquasport's poor man's Contender. They have a great look, handle well, are wet at times and have a surprisingly shallow draft for a deep V hull. In South Florida, they were Dolphin (Mahi Mahi) slaying machines. That's what that deck coffin was all about.

Good luck. :thumright:
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

August 18, 2020, 10:58:21 AM
Reply #3

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 10:58:21 AM »
Ditto for above comments...  Here's an idea - get a second 115 and go with twins!  I've seen this setup on several 222CCPs and it works great.  Move the batteries up under the console and the extra weight is not a big deal.  The 22 and 24 CCPs were designed to handle twins.  I was on a 222CCP a while back with twin 4-stroke 115 Yammies on it - sweeeeeeet!  The guy who owned it was a pro guide and used it almost every day.  He did a good deal of trolling and would just run one engine to troll - said it was very economical for fuel.  You can use a 20" leg or 25" for twins on a 222CCP.  Single has to be at least 25". 

Watch for the panel over the tank being soft, and you might want to weigh the boat to see if the foam below the decks has a lot of water in it.  I took several hundred lbs of wet foam out of mine.  Even though it's closed cell foam, it will pick up moisture after 30 years or so...  You didn't say the year, but if it's 84 or later you probably don't have the coffin in front of the console.  For some folks, the coffin was one of the best features of the boat, but others liked the giant open area toward the bow - it's a matter of preference... 

Whatever you choose, you've got a great hull to start with!   :nSalute:
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal