Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: 19 6 new gas tank install begins  (Read 10787 times)

March 13, 2011, 08:14:18 PM
Read 10787 times

imonna 19 6

• Information Offline
  • NorthEast
19 6 new gas tank install begins
« on: March 13, 2011, 08:14:18 PM »
Hello all,

I got the boat back for the season and am about to begin a gas tank install.  I have 6 weeks to get it done and have done a good amount of research.  I am going to log the process on here partly for you to enjoy and as a way to get feedback as I go.

My 1979 19-6 currently has an above deck 19 gallon tank and an empty coffin.  the old fuel fill location has been glassed over, but the starboard access hatch and lines are still in place.

I had the console off last year to inspect the coffin and lid and was pleased that they where both in good condition.

My first step, to bravely try and get some of the boat in the garage so i can work in inclement weather.

With the trailer just a 4 inches narrower than the garage door, it was a tight squeeze, but i got what i needed inside :cheers: .  My wife just loves how it enhances our front yard

Next will be getting the batteries out, then the flip seat.   Then disconnect the gas tank.   I am going to leave the throttle, rigging,  and steering cables in place and instead am going to just raise the console up and astern a a couple feet.  Once it is out of the way, out comes the coffin lid.

I expect the hardest part of the whole process will be to run the new fill and vent lines, so hopefully Skoot is correct and they will come out without a real struggle.

Still thinking through how to secure the new tank.

When all is said and done, I hope to have the new tank in, the batteries moved forward, creating some storage space under the forward seat.

Thats all for now

Bill
Bill

1979 19\'6" with a 99 Johnson 100  

"Pull the Plug"

Northern CT

March 13, 2011, 08:57:42 PM
Reply #1

fitz73222

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
    • http://www.hudson-technologies.com/.
Re: 19 6 new gas tank install begins
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 08:57:42 PM »
Hey Imonna 19-6,

We like your green rub rail... Looks like you should replace it... Scotty, here is another 50' towards our minimum order quantity of 1.5 miles of custom new old stock forest green rub rail we need for our old AS`s. Imonna; your wife will eventually get over that protrusion sticking out of your cave! Caves and Aquasports were made for each other! One suggestion would be to mix little pots of resin and catalyst and start putting them around the inside of the house so she can can get used to that smell in the near future. Tell her its a new Glade sent; "Springtime at the boat builders"!
1973 Aquasport 22-2, twin 115 Mercs
2000 Baycraft 175 flats boat, 60 Bigfoot Merc
1968 Boston Whaler 13, 25 Yamaha (project)
1966 Orlando Clipper 13, 9.9 Merc

March 13, 2011, 09:48:30 PM
Reply #2

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 09:48:30 PM »
:thumright:

March 13, 2011, 10:25:58 PM
Reply #3

Skoot

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 10:25:58 PM »
Hey man, a couple things

1. Just a heads up. I didn't remove or raise my console when I removed/installed my new tank. There was enough room for me to get everything in as is.

2. I didnt replace my vent hose, nor would I suggest it, unless its damaged.  Mine is 36yrs old and looked great. (hell its just a vent a hose anyway)  I say leave the vent hose as is.

3. As for securing the tank. I used a hybrid method of the Pascoe method. Here's what I did. I encapsulated a piece of plywood with fiberglass and tabbed it into the stringers(to use as a platform) Next, I 5200'ed neoprene strips (lengthwise) to the bottom of the tank to keep it off the plywood.  I also 5200'ed strips to the Vertical front and back of the tank(near the bottom), and also on the top of the tank(for the straps).

Then, I dry fitted the tank.  I Screwed & 5200'ed Galvanized angle brackets http://www.usatrailerpartscentral.com/S ... -1333.aspx to the plywood platform at the front on back of tank(where the neoprene strips were previously installed) to keep the tank from sliding bow/stern.  I also strapped the tank in from the top(using original straps) over the previous installed 5200ed neoprene strips.  

My thinking is the 5200'ed neoprene stripes on the bottom, sides and top of the tank will be completely waterproof, sealed and protected from the elements. They will also let the tank breathe / dry if were to get wet.

Does that make sense :scratch: if not let me know.
Scott

1975 19-6 - 90hp Tohatsu

March 13, 2011, 10:49:49 PM
Reply #4

feeling2damgood

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 10:49:49 PM »
i love the set up. if you dont mind i will be stealing the idea. thanks for posting the idea im sure it will help us with haveing more ideas to go with.
"she\'let"
1974 170 johnson 135 v4

never had a bad day fishing!!!!

March 14, 2011, 10:57:53 PM
Reply #5

imonna 19 6

• Information Offline
  • NorthEast
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 10:57:53 PM »
Quote from: "Skoot"
Hey man, a couple things

1. Just a heads up. I didn't remove or raise my console when I removed/installed my new tank. There was enough room for me to get everything in as is.

2. I didnt replace my vent hose, nor would I suggest it, unless its damaged.  Mine is 36yrs old and looked great. (hell its just a vent a hose anyway)  I say leave the vent hose as is.

3. As for securing the tank. I used a hybrid method of the Pascoe method. Here's what I did. I encapsulated a piece of plywood with fiberglass and tabbed it into the stringers(to use as a platform) Next, I 5200'ed neoprene strips (lengthwise) to the bottom of the tank to keep it off the plywood.  I also 5200'ed strips to the Vertical front and back of the tank(near the bottom), and also on the top of the tank(for the straps).

Then, I dry fitted the tank.  I Screwed & 5200'ed Galvanized angle brackets http://www.usatrailerpartscentral.com/S ... -1333.aspx to the plywood platform at the front on back of tank(where the neoprene strips were previously installed) to keep the tank from sliding bow/stern.  I also strapped the tank in from the top(using original straps) over the previous installed 5200ed neoprene strips.  

My thinking is the 5200'ed neoprene stripes on the bottom, sides and top of the tank will be completely waterproof, sealed and protected from the elements. They will also let the tank breathe / dry if were to get wet.

Does that make sense :scratch: if not let me know.

Skoot,

It does, although it sounds like our 19-6s are a bit different.  My coffin is completely glassed and still very sold, so looks like I get to skip the plywood step.  heres a picture from last summer, before I cleaned it up.  You can notice the old fill and vent lines.

However, my coffion lid stretches from under the cooler seat all the way to the font of the forward console seat and is just as wide as the console.  The only way to get the coffin open is to bring the console up...no huge deal though.  Did it last year and will only take a couple hours, besides gonna do the whole new wood trim and caulking anyway, so gotta take it all off.

I plan on building a tank that fits within 1/4 inch of the front and back of the coffin, so along with the 5200 on strips along the length to adhere the tank to the bottom (Pascoe style), i am no worried about sliding.  I am worried about the tank lifting vertically and ripping off the bottom and need to figure out how to add a second way to secure it.  I like the idea of 5200 the plastic strips as a foundation for a strap, but seems like the seams between the plastic at the edges might leave space for trapped water.
Bill

"Pull the Plug"

Northern CT

March 14, 2011, 11:12:39 PM
Reply #6

feeling2damgood

• Information Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 11:12:39 PM »
ok just to run something pat yall. why does the fill have to go to the side deck. why couldnt you just mount the fill somewere on the side of the console. maybe the vent out of the top corner of the transom. if you run the line thru the bilge to the transom.
"she\'let"
1974 170 johnson 135 v4

March 15, 2011, 03:48:01 AM
Reply #7

slvrlng

• Information Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 03:48:01 AM »
You can run the fill on the console, the problem is when you fill sometimes it can be difficult to reach the cap from outside the boat. This usually takes two people to make it easier. Plus if something happened while filling any spill would now be in the boat.
Lewis
       1983 222 Osprey "Slipaway"
       1973 19-6 "Emily Lynn"

March 15, 2011, 09:17:55 PM
Reply #8

feeling2damgood

• Information Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 09:17:55 PM »
i kinda like the fill on the console gets it off the side. my 170 sits pretty high on its trailer and im not that tall so i have to get in the boat to fill up anyway. :oops:
"she\'let"
1974 170 johnson 135 v4

March 15, 2011, 10:36:42 PM
Reply #9

imonna 19 6

• Information Offline
  • NorthEast
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 10:36:42 PM »
Not a bad alternative.   If I run into issues with running the new hose, that would be my next best choice.
Bill

"Pull the Plug"

Northern CT

March 16, 2011, 08:47:02 PM
Reply #10

imonna 19 6

• Information Offline
  • NorthEast
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 08:47:02 PM »
Night one,  

i had just enough time tonight to get started.  first step take out batteries

next, the flip seat cooler

then i figured I might as well take at the chaseway, which had little bits of bait from last year, assorted bits of plastic that probably belong somewhere, pine needles, and a whole lot of muck.

Next was to disconnect the old gas tank and capped the ends.

Not bad for an hours work.

Next time I get a few hours, ill lift the console and remove the coffin lid.  Hard to not get overwhelmed when i see whats  ahead of me, as well as all the little things i could add to this project; "Hmmm, the wiring could be redone", "oh, ya know, if i move those rod holders, i'd have more space", .................

Resist the urge..RESIST THE URGE.   I only got six weeks till I have a week off work, a slip for my boat, and stripers in the sound.
Bill

"Pull the Plug"

Northern CT

March 20, 2011, 04:10:17 PM
Reply #11

imonna 19 6

• Information Offline
  • NorthEast
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 04:10:17 PM »
Well, Step two started well, but the area i figured would end up being the biggest problem, running the new lines, is proving difficult.
I got the console up and the coffin lid off, no prob

I was able to lift the entire thing with only having to disconnect the bilge pumps.

I cleaned out the grime from the coffin and tried pulling the old lines.  My hope was that i would get some movement, then I would atttach my new lines and pull them through.

My method applied tremendous force, spread out over the last three feet and i went 1 crank at a time on the winch letting the old hose slowly come out.  I got excited when i started seeing movement on the coffin side only to then discover the fill side wasnt budging.  eventually I pulled the coffin side about 3 inches, but it was all stretch and no real movement.

I went for broke after about an hour and the hose eventually sheared off.  

Looks like my hose is foamed in all the way through.  :x

heres a picture of the distance between the inspection hatch where the fill line is and where it enters the coffin.

here are close-up pictures of both sides.

If anyone has ANY ideas on how to remove and run the new hose without cutting the deck open, please let me know.

Assuming no one does i have to decide between cutting the deck open (last resort) and moving the fill location to a new place, like the side of the console, which is not my first choice.

Any and all ideas feedback, alternative fill location ideas, etc welcome.  Really want to do it right, but cant afford to do anything really costly.

Thanks
Bill
Bill

"Pull the Plug"

Northern CT

March 20, 2011, 05:53:56 PM
Reply #12

fitz73222

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
    • http://www.hudson-technologies.com/.
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 05:53:56 PM »
I can't believe the come-a-long didn't pull it! Amazing... Walk away from this. Don't cut the deck! Lets ponder this. Really stupid question; you are sure that the fuel fill barb on the gunnel is fully disconnected right? No cable ties, entanglement with the vent hose? I would be more inclined to take a 4" diameter hole saw through the coffin side adjacent to the fill hose opening and reach in through the hole and pull out foam with your hand or some other primitive tool. A piece of rebar or something and keep jambing, reaming and break up the foam. You can always fix the hole in the coffin easily. Once the deck is cut, the integrity of the deck and value of the boat heads south. I know we will figure this out...
1973 Aquasport 22-2, twin 115 Mercs
2000 Baycraft 175 flats boat, 60 Bigfoot Merc
1968 Boston Whaler 13, 25 Yamaha (project)
1966 Orlando Clipper 13, 9.9 Merc

March 20, 2011, 06:14:07 PM
Reply #13

MarshMarlowe196

• Information Offline
    • http://www.keywestboatsforum.com
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 06:14:07 PM »
Stupid Question, but have you disconnected the filler cap on the gunwale?  I'm assuming you have...  you want to make sure the hose clamps at the gunwale filler neck are completely removed- could be preventing the hose from sliding through if they are still snugged around the hose.

Whenever I installed my new hoses, I pulled the old filler hose out through the Gunwale, with the new hose duct taped to the old hose, and pulled it all the way through.  One thing you might want to try is the remove the smaller vent hose first.  It might be making a tight squeeze even tighter for the fill hose.

I really don't think your hoses are foamed in place.  I'm pretty sure the foam was mostly in the stringers, with some foam added around the forward ice chest, and around the tank itself in the older 19-6 tank coffins (like mine and Skoot's).  There could be some foam around your tank coffin, but I wouldn't think the foam alone would be enough to hold the hose so securely.

If all else fails, before you go to cutting your deck out, I would cut more access out of the tank coffin itself- right near your hoses.  

This is where I would make a cut-

Would at least enable you to see what might be holding the hose in place.  Since the coffin is concealed, you could simply glass this back in and not worry with the cosmetics.

Good Luck!
Key West 1720 / Yam C90

Sold: 1973 Aquasport 19-6

March 20, 2011, 06:19:02 PM
Reply #14

pete

• Information Offline
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 06:19:02 PM »
is there acsess to under the deck?does that starboard front fish box liner come out?if not maybe cut out for a pie plate port?it looks like the hose is wedged in there and won't go around that corner,could try enlarging the hole in the coffin?it is probly old and dried out,looks like a real pia.good luck
2003  Osprey 225
Palm Bay FL

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal