You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Aquasport Mechanicals - things that need a wrench, screwdriver or multimeter > Plumbing

channel from center console to Stern/outboard

(1/1)

DanaDave:
1988 Striper 200 center console
the channel that runs from under the center console on the starboard side to the back of the boat. (holds the battery cables, steering, shift cables etc).
This channel fills with water from the area where the scuppers are to drain the water out the back - problem is not all the water drains out and runs up the  exposed channel towards the center console?
How do classic aquasport folks seal the channel off to prevent this from happening. Or are there other ways to prevent it from happening. Over time the channel has become dirty with debris and gunk. How are members keeping this channel (and its contents) DRY?
thanks all
DD

RickK:
Yup has been a problem since the initial design. Nothing that I know of to seal it off. My console was open at the bottom so it allowed water that got in, to get out.

TooLoose:
DD -

I actually had a few wires that ended up rotting out, likely due to sitting in the water for years. Went through a pretty extensive project to install a rigging tube in place of the tray on my 17'0 We ended up foaming the entire rigging tube in and fiberglassing to matching the rest of the deck and closing in at the transom. I assume you are looking for something a little more quick/easy, but really happy with how it turned out. More protection for all the houses and wires, no more standing water and all drains out, more structure with the added foam, and a really clean looking deck.

DanaDave:
Thank you both - mine also is open so the water drains out - but the wires do sit in the water for a while before it drains out.
I have an idea to seal it off so no water gets in - but wanted to see what others have done for this problem. The rigging tube and fiberglassing sounds good also.
I'll keep you posted with what i come with.
thanks
DD

DanaDave:
turns out to be a pain
i sealed it off in the well with fiberglass and then built a box around the wiring and hole with azek (plastic board). Box was well built with screws and sealant to keep water out.
NO GO - water seeped right in - I saw it filtering in. and when I did this - I designed so you can still open an take a peek. sure enough it was filled with water.
took all off and grinded out fiberglass work. all water now drains back out.
I am not giving up on this though - I love that hull (1988 Striper 200). I don't want water getting in anywhere. Sure if it gets in drain out, but I don't want it to get in that channel or anywhere else. rainwater included.
this may be a next season fix at this point - if so i'll still update
thanks
DD

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version