Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Kicker Mount  (Read 913 times)

January 21, 2011, 03:21:33 PM
Read 913 times

TheKid

• Information Offline
Kicker Mount
« on: January 21, 2011, 03:21:33 PM »
I searched...only found questions with no answers.

I need to mount a kicker. I have a Merc9.9 I'd like to mount. Main is a 140 Tohatsu. Boat, 222FF.

Originally I thought about the brackets that raise and lower to get it out of the way. Then looking at the boat my trim tabs look to be in the way where I would mount it.

Now thinking of mounting direct on the transom, or putting a block on the transom and mounting to that.

Here is a pic:

Do you think the motor would drag in a following or quarter sea if I mounted direct to the transom? Ever seen a raising bracket mounted close to the main?

Or, would the raising bracket extend out enough to clear the trim tabs?

Never done this before and would prefer to only drill holes once if you know what I mean.

January 21, 2011, 03:59:53 PM
Reply #1

bondobill

• Information Offline
  • West Coast
    • http://www.charliesautobodyinc.com/
Re: Kicker Mount
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 03:59:53 PM »
I have a 9.9 4 stroke xl shaft mounted on mine. I had to add a plate to transom to lift it a addtionial 6". The kicker I had before was just a long shaft mounted directly to transom, had no problems with it dragging in water while running.

The reason it is mounted on starboard side is I used to have cable steering and kicker would be in the way of steering rods.
One thing you should take into consideration is how far out to side you mount it. Mounted mine with about 1" clearance from kicker hood to ouside of transom when motor is tilted up and pivoted to starboard side, leaves you more room for steering of the kicker when you are using it. Not a lot of room back there.
1979 222 FF

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill

Bill

January 21, 2011, 06:23:24 PM
Reply #2

TheKid

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 06:23:24 PM »
Cool, less money.

I love your setup by the way. Did you remove the splash well your self?

January 21, 2011, 06:55:01 PM
Reply #3

Circle Hooked

• Information Offline
    • http://www.theaquasportboatclub.com/index.php
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 06:55:01 PM »
A bracket would extend the kicker out some
My set up

Scott
1997 225 Explorer

January 21, 2011, 07:00:58 PM
Reply #4

bondobill

• Information Offline
  • West Coast
    • http://www.charliesautobodyinc.com/
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 07:00:58 PM »
The splash well I had done by someone else. He just happened to crash his truck and we did a little bartering. My old splash well was just like yours, made it kind of diffucult for running the kicker. I couldn't believe how much more room I gained in the back after I had it removed. Had it done about 10 years ago. If I were you I wouldn't be afraid of doing it yourself, especially with the wealth of info you can get from the guys on this site.
1979 222 FF

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal