Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: I need to get a GPS/FF and want to rail mount it to the . .  (Read 2913 times)

September 26, 2006, 11:06:09 AM
Read 2913 times

Ben87

• Information Offline
I need to get a GPS/FF and want to rail mount it to the . .
« on: September 26, 2006, 11:06:09 AM »
. . . console rail.  

I'm thinking of a Lowrance 334c with internal antenna, GPS/FF combo.  

Have any of you mounted any FF/GPS unit onto a rail or even the console rail?  I would like to do it this way as it would be in a great line of sight and I wouldn't have to look down to see the GPS/FF.  Anyone have any suggestions from your own experiences or seen what others have done to mount a unit like this on a rail?  

Also, I am assuming the install of a transducer is pretty simple;

Template

Drill, 4200-5200 for bedding and screw in, would this be sort of accurate?

September 26, 2006, 03:18:45 PM
Reply #1

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
RAM mounts
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 03:18:45 PM »
RAM mounts have just what you need.  They make some custom mounts for popular units, including a rail mount option:
http://www.ram-mount.com/

You can get it at Bass Pro:
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog. ... rchResults

If you are going to mount the unit as a portable or on a rail, get a unit with an internal GPS antenna and you will save yourself one more connection, set of wires, and mount.  

See ya on the water!
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

September 26, 2006, 04:28:32 PM
Reply #2

John Jones

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 04:28:32 PM »
I second the Ram mounts.

I vote no on the Lowrance.  

Search http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zeromain?id=1 for Lowrance.  

They have a big reputation for failures, some straight out of the box.  I know people that are on their 4th or 5th replacement unit and still can't keep them working.

I assume you mean transom mounting of the transducer.  It's easy, but placement is critical and not always correct on the first try.  Lots of folks are sticking a piece of starboard to the transom with 5200, then mounting the transducer to that with short screws to prevent drilling holes in the hull.  Most any mounting will work at slow speeds but to have a transom mount work at cruise can be touch and go.  If your hull is like mine with no core, consider a "shoot-thru" installation.  The transom mount transducer will work for the shoot-thru and no holes to put in the hull.  On my flats boat, the transducer is just laying in the bilge area right in front of the drain plug.  It works just fine as long as there is about 1/4" of water in there (which there always is).  Better is to mount it to the hull with epoxy (NO silicone rubber).
Politics have no relation to morals.
Niccolo Machiavelli

September 27, 2006, 10:24:42 AM
Reply #3

Ben87

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 10:24:42 AM »
I am definitely looking at the RAM mounts.  They seem good and when it comes down to it, they are about the only thing that will work on my, is it 7/8" rail(s)?  I do like how I can swivel the unit any which way once it is clamped on the rail.  

About Lowrance, I am going to now have to reconsider.  The only reason I consider the unit is because my buddy has a 104c which is this big 10.5" screen GPS/FF and for the past year it has worked well.  And I would definitely get the internal antenna as I have no T-Top and don't want to mount an antenna.  Besides, my little Magellan XPlorist 300 has no antenna and it does me just fine.  

Now my question is, which FF/GPS combo is the best.  I can spend up to, say $650 like I was for the Lowrance.  

Thank you for the Starboard suggestion.  I don't want to drill any holes in my hull/transom, that is for sure.  If I do mount it with 5200, then drill into the Starboard, will it hold?  I'm sure the 5200 will hold it, I just want to be sure.

September 27, 2006, 04:29:18 PM
Reply #4

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
GPS/Sounders
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 04:29:18 PM »
Garmin also has one - the 178C, you choose if you want internal or external antenna - comes either way:
http://www.outerbanksoutfitters.com/pro ... 625msk.htm

or you can move up a bit in the Garmin line to the 398, but I think it uses an external antenna:
http://www.outerbanksoutfitters.com/pro ... nder-combo

The Eagle 642C is a new unit that has an internal antenna:

Humminbird has a new unit in that price range - the 787C2 that has received good reviews - not sure if the antenna is internal or external:

Hope this helps - good luck!!    :wink:
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"

September 28, 2006, 05:47:12 AM
Reply #5

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 05:47:12 AM »
My neighbor has a combo FF/GPS and his GPS shows a stick-view of the shoreline with birdseye view and thats it.  No markers or anything else, so he really only knows by bread trail how to get back to a waypoint, like the ramp (I'm sure there is more but he's never read the book).
I bought the Garmin 188C combo Chartplotter/Sounder as they were being discontinued (read as DISCOUNT via boaters world) and couldn't be happier.  It does have an external antenna though.  The power/transducer connector on these things are substantial anyway, so another wire (coax) for the antenna shouldn't be a problem and that opens the selection options up more.   The only thing about the display on mine is the polarization sometimes conflicts with my sunglass's polarization and I have to move to see it clearer, which I can accept.  Definitely suggest the combo Chartplotter/sounder units - and nobody does mapping like Garmin.
My $.02
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

September 28, 2006, 08:22:45 AM
Reply #6

John Jones

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 08:22:45 AM »
I have the Garmin 178C on my flats boat (BlueChart map for your region is a must.  If you search the net you can find it for less than $500 and another $100 m/l for the chart software.

Check with Mike at http://swflnavigation.com for Garmin, Furuno, Lowrance, and if you must, Raymarine.

Another good place for marine electronics is www.scubasteve.biz  

The polarized sunglasses thing is normal with any LCD screen.  That's how LCDs work.  Even my cell phone blacks out if it's not straight up and down in line with my head.

http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap178c/
Niccolo Machiavelli

September 28, 2006, 08:38:00 AM
Reply #7

Tim Bradford

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 08:38:00 AM »
Quote from: "Ben87"
About Lowrance, I am going to now have to reconsider.  The only reason I consider the unit is because my buddy has a 104c which is this big 10.5" screen GPS/FF and for the past year it has worked well.

Not trying to derail your original question but I am on my 5th Lowrance with absolutely 0 problems. I just installed the Lowrance 110C similar to your friends 104C but it has 800X600 resolution and supports Lowrance net NEMA 2000 I also have all of the inline 2000 fuel sensors that show every aspect of fuel management that you could ever imagine.  Unbelievable system IMO.  I too have seen folks post with problems concerning some lowrance models  but I personally would not hesitate in buying another.  I too also like Garmin (I have had several of their units aswell- I like Garmin’s GPS usability but I love Lowrance for it's sonar)

Just my .02

September 28, 2006, 10:13:06 AM
Reply #8

Ben87

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 10:13:06 AM »
Thank you so very much for all the replies.  I don't take anyones word but of those of you here on this site, you all do own AS' after all.  

I'm going whole-hog in the next week.  As the fishing down on Cape Cod is beginning to slow down, the mackerel and cod and herring up off Salem MA is beginning to heat up and I'll be pulling the boat to my house and doing the 30 mile trailer-pull to launch out of Winter Island to chase the Mackerel.  

Down the Cape, I know the water despite not having had any GPS/FF in the almost 30 years I've spent plying the waters down there, however, in my new world off Salem, I don't know the areas as well and know that the combo FF/GPS will get me where I need to be.  I have some fear of Lowrance from what I've been reading, however, my buddy who has the 104c has had no issues in the past 2 years so I might lean that way, plus, I know my way around the unit so well that no learning curve will be necessary.  

The other question I have is, are the cables coming out of the Lowrance easily detachable?  I ask because I plan on rail mounting the 334c by RAM mount and will have to take it off for theft reasons.  

Possibly today I'll be buying;

A LMS 334c and the Navionics card for New England.

A RAM rail mount and the Medium-duty mount/arm.

Boat guides for the trailer, 60" pvc things, these things do help when loading the boat.

The ping pong ball scuppers from TM Marine.  

A  2 battery switch/Perko with field disconnect and the cables for the batteries

What else . . . oh yeah, a Edson suicide knob for the steering wheel, makes going from lock-to-lock so much easier.  

Tim, is the fuel flow inline sensor something I just need to splice into the fuel line on my outboard?, and, do I need a separate guage or does this information come up on the unit?

September 28, 2006, 10:31:16 AM
Reply #9

Tim Bradford

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2006, 10:31:16 AM »
Quote from: "Ben87"
Tim, is the fuel flow inline sensor something I just need to splice into the fuel line on my outboard?, and, do I need a separate guage or does this information come up on the unit?

Hi Ben,
I do not believe the LMS 334 is LowranceNet compatible. (Link below shows units that are)- But if it was you could then buy the inline fuel flow sensor EP-10 (55.00) and it would go between the out of your fuel filter and the motor, I also went with the EP-15 Fluid fill sensor (55.00)  that connects to the fuel tanks sending unit- both of these sensors combined with your head units ability to calculate speed from the GPS gives you extensive fuel burn and trip information directly displayed on the screen as customizable screen data or screen digital gauges.  You can quickly see exactly what you optimal fuel burn is, how many gallons of fuel are left, and the exact fuel range at variable speeds etc.

If I’m not mistaken I believe the LMS 334 was one of the models that came up in problem discussions.

http://www.lowrance.com/LowranceNet/LowranceNet_products.asp

September 28, 2006, 09:43:53 PM
Reply #10

John Jones

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2006, 09:43:53 PM »
The Lowrance combo unit problems have been with the 300 series.
Niccolo Machiavelli

September 29, 2006, 09:33:57 AM
Reply #11

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
GPS-FF
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2006, 09:33:57 AM »
One feature that is really nice on the Humminbirds is the quick disconnect.  Push a button on the back and the unit comes off in your hand.  No knobs to turn and no wires to mess with.  Transducer, GPS, NEMA output, power, and accessories (barometric pressure, remote wireless transducer, etc.) all are part of the base and all disconnect when you remove the unit from the base.  

You can also buy the bases separately and move the unit easily from one boat to another, or even from one location on the boat to another.  I have a WideSide transducer on the bow-mount trolling motor that allows me to look down and to the sides.  I sometimes move my helm station GPS/FF to the bow so I can see what's in the water around me if I'm fishing at the bow (which is often the case).  I use a portable Humminbird mount/base at the bow.  The WideSide is kinda neat, check it out at:
http://www.humminbird.com/productLines_wide.asp?ID=796

Of course, if you can afford it, full side imaging sonar is the way to go!  I've seen these in use and they are impressive:
http://www.humminbird.com/productLines_wide.asp?id=798

Security can be a real issue when you have a $700-$2000 unit sitting there on the console - especially when it has a $200 map chip in it...  I always disconnect and remove the GPS/FF when I am going to leave the boat unattended - no need to invite someone to do something nasty!   :shock:
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"

September 30, 2006, 07:25:55 AM
Reply #12

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2006, 07:25:55 AM »
Seems BIG is in now, kinda like laptop sizes.  Most of the new sounder/plotters have huge beautiful displays which would take up most of my console, if I could afford one. :roll:
Rick

September 30, 2006, 08:56:23 AM
Reply #13

John Jones

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2006, 08:56:23 AM »
Rick,

Check out a Garmin 178C.  It's not Wal-Mart priced but not near as high as many.  I put one on my flats boat.  One can go full screen map, full screen FF, or split screen.  The screen is big enough for my old eyes (with glasses of course).  The sounder is good enough for inshore/nearshore fishing.  I would want a better sounder for offshore deep water which is why I have the dedicated Furuno 582L sounder on the bigger boat.
Niccolo Machiavelli

October 01, 2006, 07:37:10 AM
Reply #14

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2006, 07:37:10 AM »
Not in the market for another John, but thanks for the heads up.  My 188C is a beautiful thing and more than I need.
Rick

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal