You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: motor rebuild update  (Read 2313 times)

February 15, 2005, 06:53:42 PM
Read 2313 times

BobbyR

• Information Offline
motor rebuild update
« on: February 15, 2005, 06:53:42 PM »
Well I got started on my motor rebuild for my 1979 222 cuddy,with 1994 225 Yamaha. First I had already done compression test with  30,100,108 114,108,100 as the results.This past weekend I removed all electrial, all the powerhead bolts came rite out.I also removed the carbs for cleaning and rebuilding.Everything is loose and I'm waiting on a lift to lift off powerhead and put it on bench to break it down. Well I couldn't stand it I had to remove the head from the 30 pound cyclinder and I found a hole in top edge of piston also the piston is somewhat melted and banged up also combustion chamber of that cylinder is banged up.But the cylinder wall looks fine. I also took that carb apart and found that float was not ajusted rite it appears to not be fully opening. Oh I also do not have the oil injection I mix my oil with gas. Well waiting on this weekend to get a lift.....comments or sugguestions welcomed, thanks

February 15, 2005, 07:02:20 PM
Reply #1

Wilson

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 07:02:20 PM »
The only comment I have is...   DAMN!  Thats pretty impressive.  I can do some minor engine work, but I can't do that.  Good luck!!!!

Let us know how she comes out.
Wilson Ayala
Tampa, FL

February 16, 2005, 08:48:56 AM
Reply #2

Argo

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2005, 08:48:56 AM »
IF the 30 lb cylinder is the top cylinder then it could posibly be the one getting the backlash from the fully opened float.  Running rich or lean can tear up your pistons and it usually works from the top - down. I had my oil injection go out last august and it blue my motor pretty good.  I am waiting for repower now and am going to twins cause I didnt want to rebuild and have that little worry in the back of my head.  Good luck with your motor.

February 24, 2005, 09:21:30 PM
Reply #3

BobbyR

• Information Offline
update
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 09:21:30 PM »
Got lift and got powerhead on bench. Dissassembled powerhead and found somemore problems , the bottom crankshaft bearing was bad also ,it did little damage inside crankcase cover. Hopefully the block and cover are ok . I'm  bringing it by my machinist next Monday to look it all over.Also the bearing cover for lower bearing mite be damaged. Oh well I know I need the one piston but the cylinder wall looks good. Also my reed valve stops are somewhat rusty ,which I don't know why? Oh well I should find out more Next Monday...

April 07, 2005, 10:36:57 PM
Reply #4

BobbyR

• Information Offline
Finally Back to work
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 10:36:57 PM »
Well I finally got back to work on my motor.I ended up having to get another crankshaft mine was pretty bad. I also replaced all pistons and rings, new bearings on crank, replaced both heads,  and two connecting rods, the cylinders were good so Just had to be honed. Ended up more parts then I thought but thats a boat for you! Ended up that the lower crank seal being bad was pumping water into blocked causing alot of problems. Rite now I got the crank and all pistons ,crank block cover all put back on and reed cover and heads are installed.I will be reinstalling powerhead to mid section in problably two weeks then finishing the assembly. Wish I could start sonner but to busy at work..

April 16, 2005, 11:23:10 PM
Reply #5

BobbyR

• Information Offline
back on motor
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2005, 11:23:10 PM »
Well I got powerhead installed today. I got all electrical hooked up also fuel pumps and lines all shift and throttle cables pretty much everything except carbs and batteries. I finished cleaning carbs tonite and will install tommorow. I have batteries on charger will try to run motor tommorow. I also installed new water pump.  Well, will report back on how it runs...

April 18, 2005, 09:19:10 PM
Reply #6

BobbyR

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 09:19:10 PM »
Well I got the carbs and batteries installed back on Sunday. I got fresh fuel and ran motor . It ran fine although I only ran for about 45 minutes on the hose . If it doesn't rain later this week After work I will run it in the water ,And some more this weekend. but so far so good.......

May 14, 2005, 09:18:48 PM
Reply #7

BobbyR

• Information Offline
update
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2005, 09:18:48 PM »
I know I'm slow on posting but been working alot  thus not been able to run boat. But finally have run motor . I ran about an hour on hose before today.Today I put about 4 hours on motor all under 3500 rpm s. It ran great . So far I'm happy. Oh well maybe I can get some fishing in now.

May 23, 2005, 04:47:02 PM
Reply #8

gofish

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2005, 04:47:02 PM »
Good going, something I hope I don't have to go through but would had done it myself to. So on a scale 1 to 10, how hard was it, and any advise to some wanting to do the same.

June 04, 2005, 06:27:22 PM
Reply #9

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2005, 06:27:22 PM »
Sorry so long to get back. I had computer problems. Well from 1 to 10 . I would say it depends on your mechanical ablity. If you  have done most of your own work in the past  it is not so bad just get a good manual. If rebuilding a outboard would be your first step in any type of mechical I probally wouldn't start there.
Well I've got eight hours on mine now and so far so good. We are going fishing in the morning.  Hopefully it all goes well.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal