Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: 1st project not a aqua but still a classic  (Read 1568 times)

July 11, 2012, 10:22:56 PM
Reply #15

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
Re: 1st project not a aqua but still a classic
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 10:22:56 PM »
Quote from: "seabob4"
Scott stated about resale value/potential, but in all reality, she's not going to be worth much to anyone else.  She will be a "one off", and if you can find someone else down the road who's vision of your boat is the same as your's, then you'll have a buyer...

So she's going to be yours.  Do what you want with her.  But before you do, make sure you have the right platform.  You don't want to sink any kind of decent money and hard work into a hull you won't be happy with.  So run her for a while, if she suits you fine, then consider the mods...

Edit:  Keep this in mind.  If you throw a cuddy on her, you are going to be affecting weights and balances big time, due to the glass structure that will the the cuddy overhead...

Give it some thought...

Exactly. The graybeards just want you to think it through :mrgreen:

Run her good this summer...and see what you think.

If your dream was a 19-6....its a damn nice boat.

July 11, 2012, 11:51:34 PM
Reply #16

aiezzi

• Information Offline
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2012, 11:51:34 PM »
Yeah I have been giving it some thought. It seems like that's all I think about now. I am going to run her hard this summer. But I am aware that I may not find a buyer if I mod it to my likings. But if I do mod it I will end up keeping it for a while. I have always loved the lines of a 19-6 and a seacraft seafari 20. The problem is finding a aquasport around me that's in my price range. Also I have come to realize from boating all my life with my father boats are essentially dumpsters that float and get you to the fish. I know if I drop a bunch of money rebuilding her I will not get what I put into back. My main problem is I want a cuddy and a center console but I can't have both cuz my mother would murder me. Also the boat is going to be trailered not stored in the water. I appreciate all the advice guys.

July 12, 2012, 12:18:07 AM
Reply #17

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2012, 12:18:07 AM »
Our pleasure. You're thinking is good.

For now be patient and wait. A Potter Sea Craft 20 or 23 is a tough beast to find. Great ride, an offshore gem.   "Nothing rides like a Seacraft." They're awesome offshore hulls. But nothing goes fishing and then to the beach like an Aquasport.

Depends on what you want. An offshore winner, or an all-purpose boat. And where you want to be, and where you are in your life. A 19-6 Aquasport will go offshore fine on a decent day...and will shine on a pretty day.

Best to your Mom, but reckon she ain't buying your boat. If a 19-6 is your dream rebuild.....500 bucks will buy a rough skin all day. Most include an old V-4 Evinrude ($350 for the scrap lower unit) and a decent to good single axle galvanized trailer.

Keep us posted. We love finding classic Aquasports :thumright:

July 12, 2012, 12:48:41 AM
Reply #18

aiezzi

• Information Offline
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2012, 12:48:41 AM »
That issue but I am also storing my boat at her house and finding a aquasport fr that price in nj is almost if next to impossible. I'm still on the hunt for a 19-6 if I can find one with in a 5 hr drive I would go and get it. But it always seems like they are down south. Im almost positive if I found one in Florida I could have my father grab it and have him meet me somewhere to pick it up. Hopefully soon I will find one

July 14, 2012, 03:07:08 PM
Reply #19

aiezzi

• Information Offline
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2012, 03:07:08 PM »
Well I got some more work done on the boat yesterday. I got the old bottom paint sanded off so I could check the hull for stress cracks and put some new bottom paint on, and I spent the rest of the day working on the steering. Now here is my question, I have a mechanical rotary steering system on my boat. Do you guys know why I can get my motor to turn to full lock at the right but it's missing maybe a quarter turn to the left? I have tried adjusting the cable and feeding it in with the motor at different positions. Also do you guys have any tips on how to feed the cable to get my steering wheel straight. It is only off by a little bit but it just frustrates me looking at it like that right now, I'm getting a destroyer wheel for it soon because I don't feel safe using the plastic one. Thanks in advance guys.

July 15, 2012, 10:11:48 AM
Reply #20

dburr

• Information Offline
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2012, 10:11:48 AM »
Look at Craig's list for Mass and Maine..

17 foot ---http://maine.craigslist.org/boa/3131880959.html

Flatback----http://maine.craigslist.org/bod/3080365309.html

20'Osprey---http://maine.craigslist.org/boa/3116197457.html

222 project----http://maine.craigslist.org/boa/3116197457.html

A little out of your 5 hr window but might be worth the trip.

:salut:
Dave

88 222 Osprey
00 Yamaha OX66 150
CAS # 2590

July 15, 2012, 02:32:28 PM
Reply #21

aiezzi

• Information Offline
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2012, 02:32:28 PM »
Yeah I have been checking Craigslist alot recently. I did find a 19-6 in ny and called the guy but he didn't call back, it was up for 700 I really want it but the guy must have sold it. Also those boats are a little out of my price range, I need something that's around 2000 and under and no bigger than 20 ft. The little 3.0 in my truck is only able to haul 3700 gvwr. I'm still looking. But can anyone help with the steering?

July 15, 2012, 11:36:35 PM
Reply #22

dburr

• Information Offline
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2012, 11:36:35 PM »
Take a look at the back of the helm.  You should be able to separate the back case that has the steering gear and the cable.  If you have the engine centered and get the helm apart you can then rotate the wheel to center, then reassemble the helm.
Dave

88 222 Osprey
00 Yamaha OX66 150
CAS # 2590

July 26, 2012, 04:33:44 PM
Reply #23

aiezzi

• Information Offline
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2012, 04:33:44 PM »
Thanks alot, now that I have the steering all fixed i have been trolling craigslist for a gas tank. I found a 30 gallon tank for 120 that in going to be looking at later this week. I also went to west marine and picked up some 30* flush mount PVC rod holders. I got them in a few days ago now I jus have to fill some screw holes and some other misc things but hopefully will be able to splash her by the middle of August. I'll post pics later

July 26, 2012, 04:50:16 PM
Reply #24

aiezzi

• Information Offline
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2012, 04:50:16 PM »
Also can anyone of you guys help me on this one. I want to build a wall to close off the back half of the boat. Right in front of the bilge, I just don't know what to make it out of. I know I could fiberglass a wall there but I want to be able to remove it with a few screws and also have a hatch in it so I can access the bilge. I don't know if you are familiar with the 85 Robalo 2660 with a bracket but it has wage same kind of set up that I want to build.

July 26, 2012, 05:25:02 PM
Reply #25

MarshMarlowe196

• Information Offline
    • http://www.keywestboatsforum.com
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2012, 05:25:02 PM »
Quote from: "aiezzi"
Also can anyone of you guys help me on this one. I want to build a wall to close off the back half of the boat. Right in front of the bilge, I just don't know what to make it out of. I know I could fiberglass a wall there but I want to be able to remove it with a few screws and also have a hatch in it so I can access the bilge. I don't know if you are familiar with the 85 Robalo 2660 with a bracket but it has wage same kind of set up that I want to build.

A sheet of starboard might work well for something temporary.  Easy to cut and trim, wont rot either.

Quote from: "aiezzi"
Yeah I have been giving it some thought. It seems like that's all I think about now. I am going to run her hard this summer. But I am aware that I may not find a buyer if I mod it to my likings. But if I do mod it I will end up keeping it for a while. I have always loved the lines of a 19-6 and a seacraft seafari 20. The problem is finding a aquasport around me that's in my price range. Also I have come to realize from boating all my life with my father boats are essentially dumpsters that float and get you to the fish. I know if I drop a bunch of money rebuilding her I will not get what I put into back. My main problem is I want a cuddy and a center console but I can't have both cuz my mother would murder me. Also the boat is going to be trailered not stored in the water. I appreciate all the advice guys.

It's too bad you're up in NJ, because I happen to have both a 1970 SeaCraft 20 and a 1973 19-6 and they're both passively unlisted for sale.  Neither will have motors, but both have trailers, and the SeaCraft's stringers and transom have already been rebuilt.  The SeaCraft I have is not a Seafari, it is a C/C.

Just some food for thought if you ever have the opportunity to choose between a SeaCraft 20 or an AS 19-6- The average deadrise of the SeaCraft 20 is 16 degrees whereas the AS 19-6 is 12 degrees.  Both boats were intended to be bay boats; the SeaCraft 23 has an average deadrise of 20 degrees - that's the real offshore classic with the modern ride.  The tradeoff between the 2 (SC20 and AS19-6) would be that the SC would draft a tad more than the AS, and the AS will beat you up significantly worse in a good chop.  Both boats require little horsepower (I used to run the SC with an OMC 85HP and the AS with a OMC 90HP), both are lightweight, and both ride wet. The AS will have a better build quality than any pre 1975 model SeaCraft.
Key West 1720 / Yam C90

Sold: 1973 Aquasport 19-6

July 26, 2012, 08:08:43 PM
Reply #26

aiezzi

• Information Offline
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2012, 08:08:43 PM »
What were you looking to get for either boat? Can you send me some pics? I have no problem making a drive to sc for a boat. I love center consoles just for their fishabilty but I kinda want a cuddy for the protection from the weather because I never know who I will be taking out with me.

July 26, 2012, 08:38:19 PM
Reply #27

MarshMarlowe196

• Information Offline
    • http://www.keywestboatsforum.com
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2012, 08:38:19 PM »
I'd have to go out and take some pictures of the SeaCraft.  We redid the stringers and transom, then rolled her over on the trailer, and that's where she sits now.  Always had plans to restore the boat completely, just never did find the time or the will.  

Here's some pictures of the Aquasport-
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 741&type=3

I'll PM you with numbers.
Key West 1720 / Yam C90

Sold: 1973 Aquasport 19-6

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal