Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Math in the USA  (Read 3604 times)

April 18, 2007, 03:05:15 PM
Reply #15

John Jones

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2007, 03:05:15 PM »
I assumed that is what you meant.  Every time I try a translation site it comes back screwed up.

I have been seriously considering a class they offer at the local jr. college.
Conversational Spanish
I figure it will come in handy when I retire to Costa Rica  :lol:
Politics have no relation to morals.
Niccolo Machiavelli

April 18, 2007, 06:59:24 PM
Reply #16

Miguel

• Information Offline
  • Panama
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2007, 06:59:24 PM »
Costa Rica???????
Please, JJ, do some research and come live in a real country with all the conforts of home.
Thousands (literally) of americans, canadians and europeans are flocking to Panama for their retirement.  They are actually leaving Costa Rica adn coming here.
Miguel
1985 Osprey 170 / 1992 115HP Mariner
[/url]

April 18, 2007, 08:47:24 PM
Reply #17

LilRichard

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2007, 08:47:24 PM »
Actually, after visiting there I would vote Belize... they do not tax pensions, 401ks, or any other retirement there.  And it is what Costa Rica was 10 years ago, IMO.

But about the Spanish thing, I think we are a little hard on the language issue here.  I am not saying people shouldn't be able to speak english if they live here, but I grew up as a "second son" to a cuban family and I am very attached to the latin culture.  

If you go to almost any country in Europe, no less than 2 languages are spoken, in many countries 3 or 4.  Not saying they are "right", just that we have had the advantage of being semi-isolated in this country for a long time.    As people have moved here, they have tended to cling to their culture, and honestly I think that is what makes this country neat!  I go to Chicago and people speak Italian, German, Cantonese, and even Spanish... At least in FL we just have one!  It just seems that we have had an influx of hispanic, albeit mainly Mexican, imigrants as of late.

Now before anyone gets upset, this IS NOT TANTAMOUNT to me agreeing to unlimited imigration, etc.  This only pertains to the language issue.  Also, I do feel that if you live here, you need to speak english.  I just feel like people seem to be way to one side or the other these days...

Your thoughts?

April 18, 2007, 10:08:30 PM
Reply #18

Miguel

• Information Offline
  • Panama
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2007, 10:08:30 PM »
My knowledge is that retired american residents are not taxed at all here in Panama.  You can even introduce tax free cars every so often.  However, I may be mistaken if the laws have changed.
Besides, I believe Belize is only nice in the tourist areas.  Apart from that it is nothing but a big "town".  
Not that I like having all this immigration in my country.  Costs of living are going to the roof, because americans are used to paying too much money for some things, like for example, maid services, real estate, etc.
I´m willing to make some concesions to my fellow AS owners tough.

I agree with you on the language thing.  My second nationality is from Spain.  People there have to be fluent in at least 3 languages, but 4 is better.  However, I do believe that if you want to live in the US, you have to learn and speak english.
Miguel
1985 Osprey 170 / 1992 115HP Mariner
[/url]

April 18, 2007, 10:35:07 PM
Reply #19

LilRichard

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2007, 10:35:07 PM »
Miguel- you are ABSOLUTELY correct... Belize is not a pleasant place unless you are on one of the cayes.  

And that is VERY interesting to hear you say that YOUR cost of living is going up because of American immigration influence.  I completely believe it... it just adds irony to the discussion.

BTW, not trying to stir the pot here...

April 18, 2007, 10:53:21 PM
Reply #20

John Jones

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2007, 10:53:21 PM »
The only way I will get to retire is if I hit a big lotto.  Otherwise I'll have to work until I die.

<begin>
My issue with the language was really put home last fall.  One of my friends was buying a boat in Miami and wanted me to ride with him just for company.  The boat was in "Little Havana".  We stopped in a 7-11 for supplies ;).  The girl behind the register was friendly and smiling to all the customers before me.  They were all speaking spanish.  When it was my turn and she realized I only spoke english, she was very rude to me, in english.  That fried my ass big time.  She was only 20 something and  actually spoke good english.  My guess is she was born here and went to American schools but she resents me?  In my country?  Total BS.

I was treated the same way in Quebec and in Germany.  Especially by older Germans.  The young ones, say under 30, were just fine.

Portugal was different.  They seemed to love Americans and wanted to practice their english.  

<off>
Politics have no relation to morals.
Niccolo Machiavelli

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal