Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: #$%$#^& outboards  (Read 958 times)

July 01, 2011, 04:51:39 PM
Read 958 times

saltfly

• Information Offline
#$%$#^& outboards
« on: July 01, 2011, 04:51:39 PM »
:scratch: Ok I need help. I have a 1991 175hp Johnson 60 degree vee loop charged  with an osi ignition  on my 196. I burned up a rec /reg. Motor was running great till then. Put a new rec/reg on. Nothing else looked bad. But now no spark. I removed the black wire with the yellow trace, from the switch. Still no spark. The Manual says to use a optical ignition analyzer to test the optical timing sensor. I don’t have one and the dealer. Can’t get to it till late next week, maybe. So I’m turning to you guys for help. Some one most know a way of testing this thing with out the analyzer. Those things run $300 and they don’t look like theirs anything to them. I’m sure if I looked at the inside of one of them. I could build the darn thing. Has anyone here done that or know a way of test with out it? :?:

July 07, 2011, 05:16:30 PM
Reply #1

TheKid

• Information Offline
Re: #$%$#^& outboards
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 05:16:30 PM »
You can build a DVA for 5-10 bucks at radio shack. That and a regular DVM and your good to start testing.

Here is a schematic I used.

http://forums.iboats.com/attachment.php ... 1269302320

Basically this measures peak AC volts. Your normal DVM only measures RMS or root mean square.

Then, with your manual or troubleshooting guide from CDI Electronics that you downloaded from their website you can do all the work yourself.

How did you mess up the rectifier? Cross battery cables? I'll bet you toasted your stator too.

I did that ONCE! At least I learned how to troubleshoot outboard electronics in the process.

Good luck.

July 07, 2011, 07:13:23 PM
Reply #2

saltfly

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 07:13:23 PM »
I knew their had to be someone that built one of those things. Thanks for the schematic :thumleft: . I’m going to RS tommow. No I didn’t toast the stator, but I’m sure I would have if I would have run it any longer. I did something really dumb. I was having carb problem and rebuilt them. Started it in the drive way, and since I had not flushed it after coming in from fishing the day before. I flushed it after the rebuild job. But forgot to put the flush plug and tattle tail back in :oops: . This old fart left it sitting on the bench. Well you guessed it. Next morning I took it to a ramp a few miles from the house to make sure the carbs were ok. Run it only for 15 min.s Just long enough to fry the rec/reg. I didn’t look at the water coming out of the tattle tail. Got back to the ramp and was waiting for the guy in front of me to take out. Looked back at the boat and saw smoke coming out of the hood run back, pulled the hood and sprayed it with fire extinguisher. Then found the rec/reg with a big hole burned into it.:king: of dummies. You know they say you get smarter when you get older. But they also say you forget more. I'll take remembering the small things like PUTTING THE TATTLE TAIL PLUG BACK IN. before the smarter part. :roll:

July 07, 2011, 08:22:52 PM
Reply #3

TheKid

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 08:22:52 PM »
FYI, you can also use radio shack rectifiers too. There like $2-$3. I mounted 2 in the location of the factory one on my first outboard. Just in case.

If you swapped the rectifier out and still have no spark...you burned something else. Weird this is all from overheating. Have you checked all you cables for shorts to ground? Sounds like you melted through some insulation somewhere. Hmmmm.... :scratch:

July 07, 2011, 09:27:18 PM
Reply #4

saltfly

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 09:27:18 PM »
The motors running now. It ended up being the starter switch and warning horn. On the 91 175 hp. The electrical system is a closed system. Every part has to be connected. You can’t disconnect the red connector, and hook up a remote starter to check for spark. Everything has to remain connected. When I first unhooked the black wire with the yellow trace. I didn’t notice it was shorted to another ground wire :roll: . After I saw it was and cut out the short. I got spark right away. I replaced the switch and horn and she start on the first crank. Soooo shes running good and I’m going fishing in the morning. I lost three days fishing because of the problems. I got to fish every day next week to catch up. Man that’s hard work, but somebody’s got to do it. bwahahaha :D  :thumright:

July 08, 2011, 08:58:08 AM
Reply #5

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 08:58:08 AM »
Get one of these - they are a heck of a deal for what they do - rms, peak, avg, light, sound, temp, etc.:

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-in-1-dig ... 98674.html
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

July 09, 2011, 05:11:50 PM
Reply #6

saltfly

• Information Offline
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 05:11:50 PM »
Hey GF we have a harbor freight just south of Dover. The next time I'm up that way, I'll stop in and look at that meter.Thank for the info. I always look for reasons to stop in their. I have to pick up a vacuum pump for bleeding brake and other things I'm getting to old to do. Soooo that will give me something else to look at. :thumleft:

July 09, 2011, 05:54:53 PM
Reply #7

flounderpounder225

• Information Offline
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 05:54:53 PM »
I posted that meter up on here a few months back, myself and a few other friends all bought one, that thing is the bomb... and the price is great.
Marc
1997 245 Osprey, 250 HPDI.  SOLD

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal