Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: How to skin a sheep  (Read 1809 times)

November 23, 2010, 02:47:58 PM
Read 1809 times

MarshMarlowe196

• Information Offline
    • http://www.keywestboatsforum.com
How to skin a sheep
« on: November 23, 2010, 02:47:58 PM »
I'll be out fishing for Sheepshead this Friday and I've never been out fishing specifically for these fish before.  Does anyone have any tips on bait, gear, technique, etc..?  I've heard they like fiddler crabs and are off the line as quickly as they are on.  

:idea:   Any pointers?  Please.   :idea:

Thanks Guys
Key West 1720 / Yam C90

Sold: 1973 Aquasport 19-6

November 23, 2010, 03:33:23 PM
Reply #1

John Jones

• Information Offline
Re: How to skin a sheep
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 03:33:23 PM »
Fiddlers, mussels, clam, thumbnail size pieced of shrimp.
Set the hook just before they bite.  ;)
Politics have no relation to morals.
Niccolo Machiavelli

November 23, 2010, 03:46:10 PM
Reply #2

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 03:46:10 PM »
Brother Jesse,

Yep, they do like fiddler crabs. Also, sand fleas. They are shell crunchers, big molar-looking teefies. I've never fished for them, but have gigged several. They are tasty.You need to catch as many as possible since there isn't a bunch of meat on them for their size (mostly head, like a grunt).

Anyhow, as you're aware, they are found around bridge pilings, etc. From what I've heard, the secret is to tie-on to a big piling, close as possible to the piling, but DOWN-CURRENT from the piling. Then take a hoe or flat shovel and scrape the barnacles from the side of the piling, creating a chum cloud. Supposed to be like ringing the dinner bell, bringing in the whole fam damily.

Set the hook at the slightest twitch, they're supposed to be finicky. And would use spiderwire for feel/abrasion resistance.

Good luck, post back!

November 23, 2010, 03:48:12 PM
Reply #3

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 03:48:12 PM »
Oh yea, and mussels, clams, and shrimp bits....almost forgot

:roll:

(Tx JJ)

:cheers:

November 23, 2010, 04:58:53 PM
Reply #4

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 04:58:53 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCC3QDPXLM8

I didn't watch the whole thing but hey, they're from N.C. so they're kinda close to you.
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

November 23, 2010, 07:55:44 PM
Reply #5

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 07:55:44 PM »
Scraping the barnacles off poles and dropping your bait into the buffett is one way, I hear. They make a special scraper for that process.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

November 23, 2010, 09:43:57 PM
Reply #6

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 09:43:57 PM »
Rick, sure enuff they do...it looks like a hoe without the 90 degree bend  (a wide scraper on a pole).  On the video CB posted, the guides were scraping the pilings with the rear curved edge of a long gaff.

Jesse, I liked how they pulled up INTO the current to tie-up. Also liked how they tied-off side-to the pilings, so could fish the last pile from the stern...and then how they got the fish away from the pile, into the running current outside of the piling.

They used Carolina rigs as terminal tackle, weight based on current.

This method should be applicable anywhere, those boys know their biz. Swansboro is 40 nm N of here. CB, thanks for the fine research and post.

Jesse, what time are we leaving the dock? That vid was a good one, hope you slay 'em....again, let us know how the trip went.

(Us old sons-a-witches sometimes fish vicariously through you guys....so go get 'em!)  :cheers:

November 23, 2010, 10:08:38 PM
Reply #7

flounderpounder225

• Information Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 10:08:38 PM »
Come on guys... you gonna leave him hangin out there for the surprise at the bottom of the cracker jack box.....  :lol: Jesse, invest in one of these.... http://www.mistertwister.com/informatio ... escription those critters are good eatin but the hide and scales are what Kevlar was fashioned after...especially if you get a mess of them.  Have fun, their a blast to catch.
Marc
Marc
1997 245 Osprey, 250 HPDI.  SOLD

November 23, 2010, 10:21:46 PM
Reply #8

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 10:21:46 PM »
Ahh, sheepie fishing when we got bored in the winter time... :thumleft:

If your good, one regular shrimp will get you 5 sheepies...one at a time.

Corner of 520 and A1A...

November 23, 2010, 10:22:36 PM
Reply #9

fitz73222

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
    • http://www.hudson-technologies.com/.
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 10:22:36 PM »
It takes a little finnese to catch them but I learned at a very young age how to do it. Fish vertical next to the scrapped pilings, fish with just a little too much weight for the current and about a six inch leader behind the 1/2-3/4 oz egg sinker. Fish the eddy on the backside of the piling. Raise the rod slowly up and down about a 12"-18" stroke with a piece of peeled shrimp on a 1/0 O`shannesy hook and "feel" when the line gets heavy; you have to this with a a little "limp" in your wrist.  When the line feels heavy; cross his eyes as they say in largemouth land. Fish with a stout graphite rod with a little flex in the tip. This is not about the fight, you gotta winch him out of the pilings before he scratches you off. The whole thing about catching Sheepies is you need to almost set the hook when he is "feeling up" the shrimp before he gets those dentures into action! Just practice and you will load the boat!!!
1973 Aquasport 22-2, twin 115 Mercs
2000 Baycraft 175 flats boat, 60 Bigfoot Merc
1968 Boston Whaler 13, 25 Yamaha (project)
1966 Orlando Clipper 13, 9.9 Merc

November 23, 2010, 10:45:54 PM
Reply #10

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 10:45:54 PM »
Jesse, all of your brothers' secrets are coming to the table....this secret info is privy to the board, don't share with anyone (except those viewing on the world wide web). Good stuff!

With all of these excellent tips, bet you'll whup 'em up. I'm excited....the video was strong, and the experiences/testimonials/instructions are strong.

FP  gave great advice regarding an easy cleaning tool....but when the C cells run out, far away from a convenience store...let's give this a try:

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/landscape-a ... /3120-xp-/

:lol:

Quick, efficient response to the topic..."How to skin a sheep"....

:cheers:

Good luck, post back!

November 23, 2010, 11:40:08 PM
Reply #11

John Jones

• Information Offline
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 11:40:08 PM »
I would not even attempt it again without my electric knife. I like the 120V AC version.

I have not caught any since I was told this but a friend said that if you look right along side the dorsal fin that on each side of it is a little groove and you can just slide your blade in that groove without having to cut the Kevlar.  You can then fillet from the inside out.  Someone let me know if it works.
Politics have no relation to morals.
Niccolo Machiavelli

November 24, 2010, 01:00:37 AM
Reply #12

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 01:00:37 AM »
Quote from: "John Jones"
I would not even attempt it again without my electric knife. I like the 120V AC version.

I have not caught any since I was told this but a friend said that if you look right along side the dorsal fin that on each side of it is a little groove and you can just slide your blade in that groove without having to cut the Kevlar.  You can then fillet from the inside out.  Someone let me know if it works.

They are in fact difficult to clean.

I approach them like a big grunt, a shell cruncher. No need to scale them....we'll skin them.

The boys should gut them, good and clean. Do not scale/skin this step.

Take the gutted fish, lay it down, make the first pierce/cut with your right hand from the upper shoulder/head (as close/high to the head as possible)  Hit the backbone straight off after piercing, then slice lightly (but closely) along the backbone slowly from anterior to posterior...when reach the tail....slide the blade around, and slice lightly around the tail and up toward the abdomen.

Do NOT pierce the belly. Stop, slice lightly ABOVE the rib-cage (guts) towards the base of the head. Join this shallow slice back up and around to the first cut made, and make this cut to salvage meat best possible. But DO NOT pierce guts. We will disregard the gut/belly section here.

You will be left with what you began with, but "circum-sliced". Continue to follow what you've started, take you're time, keep slicing close to the bone. Idea is to retrieve as much usable meat as possible. Do not pierce the bile/stomach. Don't get pretty with the guts.

You'll end up with two fat viable pieces, scales/skin on.

A Florida Redfish guide taught me this 30 years ago.

Skinning fish:

Lay fillet down on board, skin-side down. Take sharp fillet knife, from the tail, separate skin from flesh first four inches.

Take skin as exposed, cut small slit in exposed skin, so can slip finger in to hold skin. Skin is on the bottom, hard against the board. Slip index finger into slit, hold fillet tight against board.

Holding skin with finger, slip sharp fillet knife in front of your finger between the skin and fish. PULL fish against knife while holding skin, knife angled slightly downward. Fish fillet will pull off clean, leaving skin below, fresh fillet above.

November 25, 2010, 12:27:18 PM
Reply #13

MarshMarlowe196

• Information Offline
    • http://www.keywestboatsforum.com
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2010, 12:27:18 PM »
Wow guys - I haven't been able to log on for a while - Thanks for all the replies.  Other folks might guard this info like trade secrets  :shock:   Thanks for sharing.

That video was very informative- Good find Capt. Bob.  Thanks everyone for all the great tips, from catching to cleaning, I can't lose now.  We might look like we know what we're doing this weekend.

The date for the fishing trip has changed to Saturday.  We'll be heading out around 9a.m. tailoring a late model 24' Boston Whaler Dauntless (looks similar to the Ranger in the video), should be the perfect boat for sheepshead.  I've always thought you were supposed to catch sheepshead in deep water near some Jetties (like what we have here in the mouth of Charleston Harbor).  No wonder I haven't caught many.

I'll post an update and hopefully some pictures on Sunday or thereafter.  Again, many thanks guys, you've all been a great help.

:salut:  :salut:
Key West 1720 / Yam C90

Sold: 1973 Aquasport 19-6

November 25, 2010, 01:24:20 PM
Reply #14

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2010, 01:24:20 PM »
Good luck bro....and Happy Thanksgiving!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal