You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: Tach problem!!!!  (Read 489 times)

September 01, 2009, 08:23:09 PM
Read 489 times

Dukester

• Information Offline
    • http://triad.comcastbiz.net
Tach problem!!!!
« on: September 01, 2009, 08:23:09 PM »
I have a 2001 Yamaha on the back of my Ospry and I replaced all the gauges.  The tach did not register correctly, the tilt/trim gauge still doesn't work and I can't find the signal wire for the temp gauge.  The tach pole setting was not correct so I took the instument cluster out and had to remove the mounting bracket on the back to get to the setting to see that I set it to the correct position which I did.  I started to put the tach back in place and decided to start the motor first to make sure the tach was working correctly.  It jumped to about 1,000 RPM then bach to 0.  I turned off the motor and battery switch and picked up the gauge cluster to find that I did not secure the bracket and it fell back against the signal post and the ingnition post.  I figured I just blew a new tach so bought another, installed it with correct pole setting and I have the same result.  Must not be the tach but I can't figure out what it could be.  Fuses under the motor cowl are all good, I get power reading with my test light grounded to the tach ground pole - at the ignition when I turn it on - then at the signal pole when I start the motor but still the same result - jumps to 1,000 RPM then to 0.  Now what?  Anyone have any good ideas where to go from here?  One more thing, I do get a 13.5 to 14 volt reading with the motor running showing it is charging.  Thanks in advance!
Dukester

Mis-Stress J
1986 Osprey Powered by Yamaha

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal