Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: lower unit concerns and a wild story  (Read 545 times)

June 14, 2008, 12:10:56 AM
Read 545 times

jsakat1

• Information Offline
lower unit concerns and a wild story
« on: June 14, 2008, 12:10:56 AM »
I have a couple of questions (sorry for the long post) but please read as I need some help.

No. 1 -- I have a 1985 Mercury 75 HP 4-cylinder 2 stroke. Can I replace the lower unit with an older or earlier model. I know my engine was made from 84 - 86 but will an earlier or older lower unit work?

I drained the gearcase oil from the engine today, there was some metal, on the magnet on the bottom drain screw, but the oil did not have metal , no chunks came out, and the oil wasn't gray or milky (no water emulsion). I know over time its okay to see some shavings and my engine's been runnin a while. Can you guys chime in and give some prognosis and suggestions as to what to do? It will be appreciated.

Reason I am asking: I had to get TowBoat US on Wednesday after a yellowtail snapper fishing trip gone bad. I think there is something funky with my gearcase. Because when I shifted forward or reverse the engine died. It did not work normally until TowBoat US got there and I was able to put the boat in gear forward and reverse. To try to jar the anchor loose (which I also lost). Out of the water I put it foward and in reverse while the rabbit ears where on, and it was making a clacking sound, not grinding but clacking -- especially with reverse.

It was murphy's law for me:  lost seven fish, Two nice flags brought into the boat slipped as they were unhooked and back into the water, busted reels, anchor rope took a little chunk off my finger.

On the way back in while getting towed, we discovered 26 Cuban migrants in one of the barrier islands on Biscayne Bay. They yelled for help (The nice thing about the trip was the chance to help some poor people out, who might have been smuggled in but looked in bad shape.)
We called the Coast Guard and they were picked up by the Coast Guard and Miami-Dade Fire Rescue.
1987 170 Striper

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal