General Aquasport Forums > Cafe Aquasport

Cap'n John's magic fish rub

(1/2) > >>

GoneFission:
This works great on salmon, mackerel, tuna, or other strongly-flavored fish:

Rub recipe:

1 tablespoon (tbs) salt
1 tbs coarse-ground black pepper
1 tbs hot paprika (not sweet or regular - gotta be hot)
2 tbs brown sugar

1 each six-pack of your favorite beer.  

Mix rub ingredients in mixing bowl.  Open a beer and check it to see if it is cold enough.  If so, continue on...

This recipe works best with a skin-on fillet.  Coat the meat side with the rub and put the fish skin-down on a grill at high temperature.  Time to check that beer again and make sure it's still OK - if so, you might as well open another while the fish is cooking.  Cook until the  fish is done or flakes with a fork (about 20 minutes for a 1 lb. salmon fillet).  Before you take the fish off the grill, you may want to sample the beer again - just to be sure - maybe open another one before it's time to eat.  The skin should stick to the grill, so use a spatula to separate the fish from the skin and serve.  The upside of the fish should be a nice reddish color from the brown sugar and the hot paprika and has a nice mix of spice and sweetness - goes great with a cold beer - open a couple more and toast with your friends!

This recipe is easy and works great on a grill - you can make the rub up in advance and store it in a plastic bag.  I have done this even into the wilderness areas in Alaska where we cooked up fresh salmon or Artic Char on a campfire and it turned out great.  Also works with fresh mackerel on the boat grill or even at home.  Try it and see what you think!

Marcq:
I like the beer part  :lol: Now if I could only find the BBQ under the snow bank, will try it for sure

Marc..

71flatback:
Man, I love Florida

John Jones:
I know my wife can handle the beer part  :wink:

Undertow2:
GF-

Will try this on some snook and reds I cauht this morning will post results later tonite.

Can I recommend one change, however?  Make it a 12-pack.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version