You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: Question about a unique engine/control layout idea.  (Read 294 times)

June 04, 2020, 03:23:42 AM
Read 294 times

theFunsmith

• Information Offline
Question about a unique engine/control layout idea.
« on: June 04, 2020, 03:23:42 AM »
Wondering if anybody might shed some light on the topic, or point me to an engine rigging guru. I want to run a single main motor (150-200hp, I am currently shopping) and eventually an additional low hp kicker motor (9.9-15hp) for slow speed salmon trolling and get-home insurance. Linking steering shouldn't be too much trouble, I've seen kits, and if necessary can fabricate some custom linkage. My question is about controls. Does anybody know whether I can operate such drastically different motors with a twin binnacle control setup? It sure would make for a neater package. Not to mention I'd look pretty goofy operating the throttle on a tiller handle with a 30" setback bracket.

June 04, 2020, 08:58:32 AM
Reply #1

Ulysses485

• Information Offline
Re: Question about a unique engine/control layout idea.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 08:58:32 AM »
I remember seeing an aquasport with a kicker on it in the past. I don't remember how steering was setup. I think it was just backup. Do you not have an emergency service like SeaTow or TowBoatUS?

Is there any reason you wouldn't just use the main power as the source for trolling if emergency services are offered? I am not familiar with trolling for Salmon as i live in Florida but have spent some time offshore trolling for dolphin etc with a 225hp Yamaha 4 stroke all day. These day's its much nicer with the quieter 4 stroke motors. I assume this is going on the 222 that you are building?

The fun of brainstorming. :))

Ulysses
1974' 240 CC - https://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?topic=15975.0
1970’ Flatback 222 - https://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?topic=15666.0
1981’ Osprey 22-2 - https://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?topic=15249.0
1971’ Flatback 222 - SOLD
1972' 240 Seahunter - SOLD

June 04, 2020, 11:10:35 AM
Reply #2

wingnut

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 11:10:35 AM »
I don't see why it wouldn't be possible, assuming a couple things... Basically you need the shift/throttle actuation on the double binnacle to operate properly for the kicker. If you're operating within the same brand of motor for both, that may make it even easier to ensure that the actuation lengths etc. are right.

There can SOMETIMES be brand crossover in controls if the actuation lengths are right (i.e. you MAY be able to use two different brands of motor). I know some older Yamaha binnacles are compatible with Suzuki, but past that I'm not sure. Some motors use a PUSH throttle, some use PULL, but this can generally be switched on the binnacle.

I've seen kickers as small as 9.9hp set up for remote controls and electric start, so there are definitely possibilities.

I have a 6hp 4 stroke for quiet trolling and extra security to get home, so I definitely understand the appeal! My setup is much simpler though, since I have an open transom, kicker run off primary fuel system, steering locked in place on the kicker and uses primary engine as a rudder, which suits my purposes.

June 04, 2020, 12:22:27 PM
Reply #3

theFunsmith

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 12:22:27 PM »
Thanks for the replies gents. Yes this is for the 22-2. I would be using the same brand of outboards just to keep things as simple as possible, not to mention it just looks better. Using a kicker makes fuel last a bit longer than trolling on a main motor, but most importantly, keeps the hours on the main to a moderate level. The smaller kicker allows also a finer adjustment to trolling speed and with salmon, sometimes you want a speed just enough to keep tension on lines and prevent tangling.

As for towboat or seatow, we don't have subscription based services, but my home port is a huge training spot for the coast guard if you get in a real pickle. I prefer not to have to call though, especially if I am out crabbing at 3AM.

June 04, 2020, 12:48:34 PM
Reply #4

Ulysses485

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 12:48:34 PM »
Thanks for the replies gents. Yes this is for the 22-2. I would be using the same brand of outboards just to keep things as simple as possible, not to mention it just looks better. Using a kicker makes fuel last a bit longer than trolling on a main motor, but most importantly, keeps the hours on the main to a moderate level. The smaller kicker allows also a finer adjustment to trolling speed and with salmon, sometimes you want a speed just enough to keep tension on lines and prevent tangling.

As for towboat or seatow, we don't have subscription based services, but my home port is a huge training spot for the coast guard if you get in a real pickle. I prefer not to have to call though, especially if I am out crabbing at 3AM.
Aha. i see where you are coming from. I can definitely see a cost benefit long term from keeping the hours off the main engine and more steady troll. Interested to see what you find. - Ulysses 
1974' 240 CC - https://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?topic=15975.0
1970’ Flatback 222 - https://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?topic=15666.0
1981’ Osprey 22-2 - https://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?topic=15249.0
1971’ Flatback 222 - SOLD
1972' 240 Seahunter - SOLD

June 04, 2020, 02:28:04 PM
Reply #5

Fishhead

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 02:28:04 PM »
Wondering if anybody might shed some light on the topic, or point me to an engine rigging guru. I want to run a single main motor (150-200hp, I am currently shopping) and eventually an additional low hp kicker motor (9.9-15hp) for slow speed salmon trolling and get-home insurance. Linking steering shouldn't be too much trouble, I've seen kits, and if necessary can fabricate some custom linkage. My question is about controls. Does anybody know whether I can operate such drastically different motors with a twin binnacle control setup? It sure would make for a neater package. Not to mention I'd look pretty goofy operating the throttle on a tiller handle with a 30" setback bracket.
sure you can,my 230 center console I put a pilothouse on I used a twin binnicle set up left for main and right for kicker. A Yamaha 8 or 9.9 high thrust remote control engine is perfect. You have to mount ignition switch and deadman on dash hook cables and good to go. You don’t need a rigging guy for that I see your work your more than capable. On the setback you want power trim as it would be a pain to tilt manually. The controls will have trim switches on both handles for both engines. Other option like you see up there is add a independent side mount controll for kicker they do that because easier and cheaper to rig.
19-6 family fisherman
24 osprey pilothouse
22-2 family fisherman

June 04, 2020, 04:21:40 PM
Reply #6

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 04:21:40 PM »
It's good to have you back here Fishhead.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

June 04, 2020, 09:32:32 PM
Reply #7

theFunsmith

• Information Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 09:32:32 PM »
A Yamaha 8 or 9.9 high thrust remote control engine is perfect. You have to mount ignition switch and deadman on dash hook cables and good to go. You don’t need a rigging guy for that I see your work your more than capable. On the setback you want power trim as it would be a pain to tilt manually. The controls will have trim switches on both handles for both engines.

My thoughts exactly, and thank you. We have a plan now.

June 26, 2020, 03:09:02 PM
Reply #8

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2020, 03:09:02 PM »
You can run a twin binnacle control with different engines.  It's easier if they are the same make - 2 Mercurys for instance.  But most binnacles have similar connections, and you can use a cable that fits your motor.  Let's say you have a Merc main and want to run a Yamaha kicker - you would need two different cables.  This is assuming manual/cable controls - all bets are off if you are talking digital or fly-by-wire controls. 
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal