You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: What would you pay?  (Read 329 times)

May 27, 2016, 05:42:44 PM
Read 329 times

Smoki_ooki

• Information Offline
What would you pay?
« on: May 27, 2016, 05:42:44 PM »
Buddies dad had this boat sitting under a barn at his farm. Boat has sat for at least 8 years, has an motor 86 V4 johnson with a 95 head that was added on later, supposedly was running when they put it away- Its an 86- 196 with a good hull. After cleaning it came out pretty clean. I just want to know what is a good price to offer him for this boat as is? he's a family friend so fair on both ends would be nice- all the cables needs to replaced as well for the motor and we are going on faith that the motor doesn't have any underlying layers (which I'm sure there is possibly something) I've posted pictures below all opinions welcome

May 27, 2016, 06:21:04 PM
Reply #1

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
Re: What would you pay?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 06:21:04 PM »
Start at NADA and enter the data and then start subtracting a little for each thing you think needs to be replaced.  Looks like you will need a new fuel tank - figure $10 per gal.  Maybe you'll luck out and it was already replaced.
Remember that it is a used boat so there are going to be things that need to be replaced on her.

Take a look at this http://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?topic=10634.0
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

May 27, 2016, 09:44:18 PM
Reply #2

Smoki_ooki

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 09:44:18 PM »
Thanks Rick for the link. The gas tank is in good shape unless you're suggesting that because of laying dormant the gas within has more than likely destroyed the tank but honestly doesn't looked bad. I previously owned a pathfinder 17t good little backcountry boat but just didn't use her enough. This title is clean its my good friends fathers boat -this is the situation-he suggest we split the repairs and maintence on it (to cut down our personal investment) and use it as our own. It sounded like a great idea at first, a boat i could come grab with the truck anytime. The more I've thought i just don't feel comfortable starting repairs on a boat without my name on the title, just don't see in the end how that could benefit me in case we ever ended up selling or trading.The boat doesn't need too much (if the motor is in working shape) the coffin cover needs to be redone, I've bought all new cables for the Johnson but like i said before the motor hasn't been run in years. From what I've read these motors are pretty tank-like. Of course id like to do so much more boat but I'm searching for a base price that would be a fair price for me to possession of the title ??What would you say a fair price for both parties?
 i mean honestly this thing was sitting under a barn for ten years.

Thanks,
 Smoki_ooki

May 29, 2016, 10:29:40 PM
Reply #3

wingtime

• Information Offline
    • http://50newtmotorclub.shutterfly.com/
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 10:29:40 PM »
They didn't open up the coffin for no reason. My bet is the tank is bad. Most of them that age are. Do a pressure test on it to be sure.
1998 Explorer w/ Etec 250

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal