Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: 2 stroke questions  (Read 483 times)

November 08, 2013, 06:44:30 PM
Read 483 times

adaptolife

• Information Offline
2 stroke questions
« on: November 08, 2013, 06:44:30 PM »
I just got my 200, and it is my first boat with oil injection. The 130 Yamaha is a 93. The dealer said the engine and oil injection system were operating correctly. I have heard that a lot of people unhook the oil injection, and mix oil in the gas manually. Additionally, the dealer said he tells all people with older 2 strokes with oil injection to add a pint or 2 of oil to each tank of gas. First time hearing that. What are your experiences?
Greg
1993 Aquasport Osprey 200

A bad day fishing beats a great day at work

November 08, 2013, 07:44:11 PM
Reply #1

Capt Matt

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
    • http://www.captmattmitchell.com
Re: 2 stroke questions
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 07:44:11 PM »
If everything is working on the motor the oil injection is a plus
Motor should have warning buzzer if oil injection quits
Don't over oil the motor
Capt Matt
www.captmattmitchell.com
Light tackle sportfishing

November 08, 2013, 07:59:36 PM
Reply #2

adaptolife

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 07:59:36 PM »
I'll put a piece of tape on the oil tank to see if oil level changes. I'll look for buzzer. Going to take her out to put an hour on her. The local gas station just got 90 octane ethanol-free gas too. I'll trust the injection, skip extra oil, and monitor the oil level. Can't wait!
Greg
1993 Aquasport Osprey 200

A bad day fishing beats a great day at work

November 08, 2013, 08:03:28 PM
Reply #3

dburr

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 08:03:28 PM »
The idea behind adding oil to an old engine that is new to you is to prove to yourself that the injection system is working.  If you go this route, use a 6 gallon tank with a 50:1 mix and mark the engine oil tank AND the remote tank.  Run the motor at speed for a while then check the marks on the oil tanks.  If they show the oil level going down then that means the oil system is working as long as there isn't a huge mess under the cowling.  Once the system has been verified as working, switch to the main tank of straight gas.

Refer to the ORM manual for the proper setup of the injection pump to ensure the proper ratio if that is a concern..

As Capt Matt said DO NOT over oil the motor. A gallon or two of mix is ok, but full time will lead to heinousness in the plugs, gummed up rings, and depending on the injection system to much crap in the carbs and or an eventual boogerd up O2 sensor...

Best thing to do of is check the lines carefully.  Tug on them gently, but like you mean it.. I had one crack on an outboard that sat out the season.  Only way I discovered it before disaster struck was I noticed a mess dripping down the port side of the motor as she ran on muffs during fall pickling.  A little tugging later I found the supply line from the oil pump into the fuel pump was completely split....
 :salut:
Dave

88 222 Osprey
00 Yamaha OX66 150
CAS # 2590

November 08, 2013, 08:25:16 PM
Reply #4

Georgie

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 08:25:16 PM »
Good, clear advice and lesson, Dave.  :salut:
Ryan

1979 246 CCC

1987 Wellcraft 18 Fisherman

November 08, 2013, 09:18:52 PM
Reply #5

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 09:18:52 PM »
^^^^^^^

The Yamaha V-4 was based on the tried and true OMC, with significant upgrades.  My experience is they crank faster, idle down quicker, smoke much less....and don't load up/choke out on a slow troll. Or spit, sputter, cough, hack. Owned 'em all...a cared for and maintained  V-4 Yamaha is money in the bank.

Back to oil injection. The Yamaha 115 and 130 oil injection system and components are noted for reliability in these parts. Do the tape test on the reservoirs as suggested...."if it ain't broke...don't fix it" :thumright:

November 09, 2013, 08:18:13 AM
Reply #6

fitz73222

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
    • http://www.hudson-technologies.com/.
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 08:18:13 AM »
Quote from: "dburr"
The idea behind adding oil to an old engine that is new to you is to prove to yourself that the injection system is working.  If you go this route, use a 6 gallon tank with a 50:1 mix and mark the engine oil tank AND the remote tank.  Run the motor at speed for a while then check the marks on the oil tanks.  If they show the oil level going down then that means the oil system is working as long as there isn't a huge mess under the cowling.  Once the system has been verified as working, switch to the main tank of straight gas.

Refer to the ORM manual for the proper setup of the injection pump to ensure the proper ratio if that is a concern..

As Capt Matt said DO NOT over oil the motor. A gallon or two of mix is ok, but full time will lead to heinousness in the plugs, gummed up rings, and depending on the injection system to much crap in the carbs and or an eventual boogerd up O2 sensor...

Best thing to do of is check the lines carefully.  Tug on them gently, but like you mean it.. I had one crack on an outboard that sat out the season.  Only way I discovered it before disaster struck was I noticed a mess dripping down the port side of the motor as she ran on muffs during fall pickling.  A little tugging later I found the supply line from the oil pump into the fuel pump was completely split....
 :salut:
Excellent advice! The only item I would add is do a water pump, thermostats and gearlube for your PM baseline. Easy to do yourself and the piece of mind is worth the $200 and go enjoy the engine.
1973 Aquasport 22-2, twin 115 Mercs
2000 Baycraft 175 flats boat, 60 Bigfoot Merc
1968 Boston Whaler 13, 25 Yamaha (project)
1966 Orlando Clipper 13, 9.9 Merc

November 09, 2013, 05:46:58 PM
Reply #7

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 05:46:58 PM »
Quote from: "gran398"
Back to oil injection. The Yamaha 115 and 130 oil injection system and components are noted for reliability in these parts.

I guessing your 130 is similar to my 200 so...

Here's a link to a link.
viewtopic.php?p=60423#p60423

Scroll down several posts and you'll find a good explanation of the workings of the oiling system and some troubleshooting tips and procedures.
I have permanent marks on both tanks to monitor oil flow.

Good luck.
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal