Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic:  (Read 531 times)

June 07, 2006, 10:36:26 PM
Read 531 times

ddd222

(No subject)
« on: June 07, 2006, 10:36:26 PM »
having the identical boat i definately have an opinion as i would love to do that on my boat, and from the photo gallery it looks like some have done it here, and even with twins!. But before doing so i would do some extensive research, i would consult everyone here and also at classicmako.com. Thats seems to be very popular for many reasons, more than anything a few extra sqaure feet of fishing room. Besides the benefits and deciding what to do w/ the extra room, there are some design/performance obstacles better addressed before than after. I'll refer to the mako site simply because they have a ton of volume there and people posting thru each and every step of the modification. And most of the issues seem to be in mako's under 25'. People adding brackets to 20-23' seem to have a ton of problems w/ weight and thrust. The original design of how the boat sits at rest and on plane when moving the weight of the motor a few feet back, and therefore the source of thrust, which besides sitting way ass heavy really moves the source of thrust in a less than optimal angle to move the boat efficiently or comfortably. Huge porpoising is the biggest complaint i've heard, some of which can be addressed by moving weight forward such as batteries etc. to the console,or tabs, but for the most part it does not solve the problem sufficient enough, even as far as some saying they wish they never did it. Some are still tinkering with it after completing most likely at great cost/trouble with the height of the bracket on the closed transom, shaft of motor and optimal place for lower unti and prop.
     There are also many different brackets to choose from, some have flotation, different weights, lenght aft, etc. so choose accordingly. Being more than familiar with your boat its something i thought about before repowering in 2004, but after some thought i decided against it. I am certain i can't tell you the best couse to do it, but i am certain that these may be issues to come up. My boat sits wayass heavy in the water already and moving weight back would worry me alot.
     You didn't mention whether your were going to do this yourself or have someone else do it? I'm sure there are shops out there who would do the basics, slap the bracket and motor on and send you away. And more than likely there has been instances where the things i listed were not an issue and the boat performed almost identical to before. But how the boat sits at rest(taken many waves in the splashwell area and sitting any lower i think i may have gone down a few times, so moving weight forward like even the console doesn't necessarily address the problem if the whole boat sits lower in the water and you lose the freeboard that this boat was designed to feature). How the boat planes, and with alot of fuel, gear, passengers? Besides being curious how the 222ccp will do closed off w/ a bracket, i don't want anyone to be a guinea pig. Like i said i've seen people here that have done it and would bet $ that flotation and perfomance were issues dealt w/ but being fairly new here i remember them posting before and after pics and not much beyond that, but i could be wrong. I'm also convinced that some guys at mako have so much time to document customizing and restorations, not to mention the time to do the work as many do it themselves, unlimited funds, resources, tools, u name it, if anything, i f-ing envy them!LOL
    I think i've overstated my point once again but i hope this is somewhat helpful. Please document what you can, and if you have shop do it be all over them to address the things i mentioned, there's alot more to it then the structural integrity and extra room. BTW, what to do w/ extra room?

June 13, 2006, 08:01:43 AM
Reply #1

John Jones

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 08:01:43 AM »
I want to do it just for the safety issue and the extra room is a nice benefit.  Everytime I have been out in the last month tidal currents and wind direction have caused the boat to take anything from quartering waves on the stern to dead on at the stern while at anchor.  I have not been able to relax and just fish for one minute worrying about that one rogue wave swamping the boat.  I don't care how many bilge pumps one has, a cockpit full of water will sink a boat in seconds.  I think a flotation type bracket and oversize trim tabs will offset most negatives.  The extra effective length of the boat can help the ride in a nasty chop also.  The bracket has to have about 30" of setback for a motor to tilt fully with a closed transom.  That's adding 2 1/2 feet to your boat for a couple of grand.  It might just happen this winter  :wink:
Politics have no relation to morals.
Niccolo Machiavelli

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal