Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: Boat damaged during arrest of Boston bomber  (Read 954 times)

April 24, 2013, 12:01:15 PM
Reply #15

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
Re: Boat damaged during arrest of Boston bomber
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 12:01:15 PM »
Wow Lew! :mrgreen:

The boat is an old Chris Craft Seahawk 24. They also made a 21 footer called a Scorpion. The model year is somewhere around the early eighties.

A friend of mine had a Scorpion with a 235 Evinrude. We'd take it offshore with two soap tanks on the deck to hold extra gas (dangerous...young and dumb). We'd run her out on the soap tanks, then lash them to the bow for the ride home.

The boat ran really nice, especially down-sea, it was a bat outta hell. Dry too.

The huge downside to these boats...no flotation. They'd sink in a heartbeat...like bye-bye sink. There were four guys that went offshore in one around 1985....they only found one, hanging on a fish box.

Too bad about this gentleman's boat...it looked to be beautifully restored. But given the tragedy and suffering many of these good folks are gong through...in the end this is just a boat.

April 24, 2013, 12:04:07 PM
Reply #16

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 12:04:07 PM »
Quote from: "icemanbryan"
I sent him some bucks to the cause.
Maybe he will end up with something nice.
I would be really bummed if they impounded mine for sure.
Yes, you can purchase another one but, it takes years to get them fine tuned.

Good deal Bryan :thumright:

Can you post the link? Thanks!

April 24, 2013, 12:19:12 PM
Reply #17

flounderpounder225

• Information Offline
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2013, 12:19:12 PM »
Quote from: "gran398"
Wow Lew! :mrgreen:

The boat is an old Chris Craft Seahawk 24. They also made a 21 footer called a Scorpion. The model year is somewhere around the early eighties.

A friend of mine had a Scorpion with a 235 Evinrude. We'd take it offshore with two soap tanks on the deck to hold extra gas (dangerous...young and dumb). We'd run her out on the soap tanks, then lash them to the bow for the ride home.

The boat ran really nice, especially down-sea, it was a bat outta hell. Dry too.

The huge downside to these boats...no flotation. They'd sink in a heartbeat...like bye-bye sink. There were four guys that went offshore in one around 1985....they only found one, hanging on a fish box.

Too bad about this gentleman's boat...it looked to be beautifully restored. But given the tragedy and suffering many of these good folks are gong through...in the end this is just a boat.

That was my last boat, the 1986 Scorpion 215, was an excellent W/A, mine had the full original transom with full width bracket/platform and the 225 Yami, hardtop.  The Carolina Flare on the bow was just like the Welcraft Step-V, very dry ride. and Haul... oh yeah, 55 MPH before I put the hard top on, then it went to around 50.  The biggest sinking problem was the successor to the scorpion (which was only produced for a few years) and began around 87 or 88 was the Seahawk, and they had an open transom which was relatively low, heavy stern sea, or backing down, she would fill the deck, and if it ran down into the cabin, you were in deep kimshi...  :shock:
Marc
1997 245 Osprey, 250 HPDI.  SOLD

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal