You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: NO FEEDBACK STEERING QUESTIONS  (Read 965 times)

July 20, 2005, 11:57:20 AM
Read 965 times

osprey170

• Information Offline
NO FEEDBACK STEERING QUESTIONS
« on: July 20, 2005, 11:57:20 AM »
I was thinking of changing my old worn out steering with a NFB (not hydraulic) type from teleflex.  They seem to come in two flavors direct replacement for SAFE-T and rack and pinion.  I'm almost certain mine is not rack and pinion but I'm not sure.   I have an AS 170 with an '85 Evinrude 115 x-flow.  

Any help determining which type appreciated.  Also does anyone have any feedback (no pun intended) on how well the mechanical NFB works.  Is it worth the change?  How hard is it to swap out?  Better left to a pro?  Steering is something I don't want to get wrong.

Thanks!
1985 Osprey 170

July 20, 2005, 03:15:26 PM
Reply #1

Radioshop

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 03:15:26 PM »
It's not rocket science.  Basically, take the nut off the wheel, pull, unscrew helm from console, unscew cable from helm (temporarily re-attach wheel to facilitate disengaging the cable), disconnect at the motor.  The worst part is wrestling the cable into the side of the helm.  When I did it last time, I didn't dismount the helm first, which was stupid of me.  Feeding the cable into the helm would be easier if the helm was moveable.  Especially challenging was starting the threads on that nut for the cable jacket.  Of course, then you'd have to wrestle the helm into place once the cable was hitched up, but I think that would be better than the alternative.  Also, I would advise pulling the old stuff out first, so you can measure how long the cable is instead of guessing.   You're going to need a socket to fit the wheel nut, an open end wrench to fit the cable jacket nut and, whatever size wrenches are the motor side.  You can use an adjustable wrench, but it would really suck to round off that jacket nut.  On my 22.2 the in deck wiring channel made swap out relatively painless.  This might also be a good time to swap out throttle cables.  On a scale of 1-10, 10 being more difficult, I rate this job a 4.  

I'm switching from a Safe-T to hydraulic, but not by choice.  I've reached the point where I've got too much HP for cable.  I have run a few boats with NFB and, it's pretty nice.  It was standard on Grady-White up to 24'.  I do generally prefer cable because I believe it's more responsive.  If you think your steering system is worn out, then absolutely change it.
1973 22.2 Osprey - Sand Bar II
Miamuh, Florida

July 21, 2005, 08:11:27 AM
Reply #2

John Jones

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 08:11:27 AM »
Go for it.  I had Teleflex NFB (not sure which model) on my last boat and it was great.  No pulling at any RPM.
Politics have no relation to morals.
Niccolo Machiavelli

July 22, 2005, 09:32:27 AM
Reply #3

osprey170

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005, 09:32:27 AM »
Thanks for the input - I guess I'll go with the SAFE-T system from Teleflex.  My steering is original to the boat (20 years old) and has a lot of play in it.  I also would like the NFB feature - turning can be a little tuff at times.
1985 Osprey 170

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal