Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Should I get Troll-N-Tabs?  (Read 2628 times)

April 05, 2005, 09:52:18 AM
Read 2628 times

scott_gunn

• Information Offline
Should I get Troll-N-Tabs?
« on: April 05, 2005, 09:52:18 AM »
A local man has a good deal on some fairly new Troll-N-Tabs.  I could definitely use trim tabs.  I definitely need a trolling motor.  Buying these TNTs would save a good chunk of money over seperate tabs and trolling motor.  My only concern is will I be able to fish mangrove shorelines/docks with the transom mounted trolling motors?  I know a bow mount provides more precise control, but are the transom mounted ones doable at all if someone is always at the controls?

April 05, 2005, 07:15:38 PM
Reply #1

Wilson

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 07:15:38 PM »
Scott - I can't say how they work but we just put them on our boat.  I can let you know if we ever get her lauched again.

http://www.classicaquasport.com/gallery ... hp/cat/518
Wilson Ayala
Tampa, FL

April 06, 2005, 02:11:50 PM
Reply #2

fishbonz

Troll-N-Tabs
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 02:11:50 PM »
Beleive it or not, this is a fairly controversial topic.  I just removed the TNTs from my 222 and am going with removable transom mounts (using the Lenco box) for tarpon season and a pole for everything else.

TNT Pros:

Powerful- will move your boat.
Can deploy them remotely with your tab switches.
Out of the way.
Can run them from anywhere your corded remote will reach (e.g. tower).
Stay in the water (most of the time) even in a swell or chop.

TNT Cons:

Too many things to go wrong.  You can lose your motors because the Motorguide head dies, the Lenco control box dies, the remote dies, your tabs die...
Add a lot of weight aft which may be a problem in these older boats.
Drain batteries pretty fast.
Motors are always in or near the water- corrosion.
Not very manueverable in tight spaces (along a shoreline, dock/bridge fishing, etc.).
Require at least 2 feet of depth to work well (on my 6 to 8" deep transom).  Will require more on a deeper transom.

At the end of the day, reliability was my biggest problem.  In four years I have replaced one head, one tab actuator, and had the control box repaired.  

No system is perfect, expecially on a boat, but I just finally gave up.

M.

April 06, 2005, 02:50:47 PM
Reply #3

Wilson

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 02:50:47 PM »
I think they are GREAT for chasing tarpon on the beach, and just ok for everything else.  
I just hoped to use them for that or to ease up on a mangrove shore line.  Trying to manuver to intricately may be difficult.  I have seen the video of the guy doing it though.
Wilson Ayala
Tampa, FL

April 06, 2005, 03:25:08 PM
Reply #4

fishbonz

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005, 03:25:08 PM »
I agree.  When they work, they are the best option out there for chasing tarpon- on the beach or in the bay.

April 06, 2005, 05:40:26 PM
Reply #5

Wilson

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2005, 05:40:26 PM »
And chasing is mainly what I do.  Catching.... well... that's a different story all together. :lol:
Wilson Ayala
Tampa, FL

April 06, 2005, 05:45:59 PM
Reply #6

scott_gunn

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2005, 05:45:59 PM »
Hmm... I'm leaning towards a 101bs of thrust MinnKota bow mount.  There's a slightly used one for sell near me.  It's more money and I still won't have trim tabs but it will suit my fishing better I believe, and should still be powerful enough for tarpon chasing.

April 06, 2005, 07:17:35 PM
Reply #7

fishbonz

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2005, 07:17:35 PM »
What's your hull?  As you probably know, you need to make sure your shaft is long enough (no pun intended, but run with it if you like).

April 06, 2005, 08:11:44 PM
Reply #8

scott_gunn

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2005, 08:11:44 PM »
It's a 200 Osprey.  I've measured and I'm sure a 60" shaft will be long enough.  I'll have to bend down to turn it, but oh well.

April 07, 2005, 05:44:46 AM
Reply #9

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2005, 05:44:46 AM »
I have an electric trolling motor (50 something lb - don't remember right now) mounted on the transom next to the motor.  Seems to push it well and manuevers well too.  I can lean/sit against the motor and fish/steer while my guest fishes off the front.  I'd heard that it's easier to "pull" a boat from the front but I didn't want a permanent mount there.  I guess it depends on where you want to fish from and steer.  I can see if you were chasing tarpon you might want to be able to cast and steer from the front, if alone, which I rarely am alone on the boat.  2 people in the front of a 170 is one too many.
Bad part of having the trolling motor in the aft is that I can't have tabs now, unless I make some extension bracket off the transom for the motor.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

June 24, 2005, 11:50:38 PM
Reply #10

Reeltronics Rob

• Information Offline
    • http://www.reeltronics.com
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2005, 11:50:38 PM »
Scott, I installed the TNT's for Wilson. At least the electrical part any way. I think these tabs/motors will work very well. There will certainly be a learning curve involved in using them. Experimenting in open, deeper water will help out a great deal to get used to how they handle on your particular boat. Each boat handles differently as the hulls vary so much.

So far, each (5) of the installs I have done have been smooth and the owners are happy with them. Lenco has been fantastic with their support.

Personally, I think it really boils down to hull weight, draft, and shape.
The interesting part of the pro/con arguement is the fact that the tabs themselves have to be down to run the motors....more drag?

Yes and no. The fun part of these systems is the learning part. If you raise a port tab, hit the quick switch on the foot pedal ( programmed to give you an "auto" course change of 5 degrees ) You have the ability to REALLY turn the boat. Another big factor is running with motor ( or jack plate ) up or down? This will provide you a feel for slipping, or steering. Big factor when dealing with winds and currents.

If you want to discuss this more, feel free to give me a call or visit my web site.......
Rob
President
Reeltronics, Inc
www.reeltronics.com

June 29, 2005, 09:38:51 PM
Reply #11

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2005, 09:38:51 PM »
So what do you do if you're indecisive (about to refurbish a 22-2).  I definitely want trim tabs but don't know if the TNT's are what I want.....can you swap out the tab easily to the ones that has the motor brackets on them if I opt for them in the future???

July 05, 2005, 12:58:01 PM
Reply #12

fishbonz

(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2005, 12:58:01 PM »
Don't know if you can switch from plain tabs to bracket tabs without replacing the whole assembly.  You can certainly go the other way.  I did it with a sawzall and a grinder!!!

I now use a single motor mounted on the transom and love it.  a 74 lb MinnKota pushes the boat fine, even in a wind. See the photo in my gallery.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal