You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: Finally got it, shift rod adjustment.  (Read 829 times)

May 29, 2007, 09:55:31 AM
Read 829 times

gcapehart

• Information Offline
Finally got it, shift rod adjustment.
« on: May 29, 2007, 09:55:31 AM »
After installing the new waterpump and other spring maintenence items, we didn't have much to our chagrin an easy shift to forward or then reverse. I found the measurement in the Seloc manual to be 26.94" for our 225VRO. I also saw a somewhere, maybe the iboats discusion where a contibutor said 26 15/16". Anyway without the prescribed OMC caliper tool, measuring effectively was our undoing. So here are two tips I'm sure many of you know but maybe a newbie like us might find it helpful. We took her out Sunday and she ran great. #1. Who needs to adjust a shift rod? Me, because I lost track of its position when removing the lower unit. Now if you screw it in all the way it stops in the correct position to go into the upper unit. Meaning it comes out straight yet at the top is bent forward and then straightens up again. That allows it to slip into the yoke. Anyway and to the point, turn it out now seven(7) turns and you'll be at that measurement(the elusive 26.94" or 26 15/16" ). #2 Before you drive to the ramp, try this to check your shift. With the battery off, engine not running, push your throttle to the forward indent. If it shifts right you'll feel engine compression. Also shift back to reverse, again you should find compression. The way we misadjusted before caused it to "click" as the gears weren't fully engage. We hope this helps.  Gary and Suzy
Maine25XF. Late to the gate we love our boat. Others are humbled by the Sally-Carol. We treat her like family, only better! If you have any tips, insights, or positions on the health benefits of two-stroke exhaust,  please opine and inform. Gary

May 29, 2007, 10:22:02 PM
Reply #1

rsh19904

• Information Offline
same problem with Merc
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 10:22:02 PM »
I just swapped the water pump on my 90 hp mariner and of course, didn't get it to line up right and now after starting the motor today, the prop rotated clockwise when looking at it..and I can feel the "clunk" when spinning the prop by hand...any suggestions on how to fix this problem with a merc?  Was hoping to use my boat by this weekend :roll:
Its called fishing not catching for a reason.  Usually operator error

May 30, 2007, 07:22:13 PM
Reply #2

gcapehart

• Information Offline
Do they all work the same?
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 07:22:13 PM »
Before I pulled the lower unit off the last(fourth) time, we're newbies(even at 58) I had my wife move it into forward(motor off, and electric off) and our OMC throttle goes to the first indent. That's where forward is engaged. We had a good shift that way. Our unit like most is mechanical there. As I turned the prop clockwise which is forward on mine, I could feel the compression from the engine"no clicks or grinding". As we went to reverse to the first indent it didn't fully engage, it clicked but I couldn'e move the engine to feel compression. I did this counter-clockwise. Since our adjustment on the rod went down or clockwise to acquire forward on our second adjustment there was no reverse at all. No clicks or grinding. So we reversed, counterclockwise out from fully in four turns, then two more for six turns, we now had clicking and grinding. We then came out one more turn for seven and it was perfect. Not knowing Mercury's I suspect if it is too mechanical then it is just a bit of adjustment. If we had doubled the first four turns to eight out, I suspect we would have had reverse but would have lost forward. Good luck,   Gary
Maine25XF. Late to the gate we love our boat. Others are humbled by the Sally-Carol. We treat her like family, only better! If you have any tips, insights, or positions on the health benefits of two-stroke exhaust,  please opine and inform. Gary

May 30, 2007, 07:51:57 PM
Reply #3

rsh19904

• Information Offline
Fixed it!
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 07:51:57 PM »
Well, after reading your post (mercs don't require the measurements when reinstalling) I went back today and gently took a pair of plyers and just spun the shift rod on the lower unit until it took the lower unit out of gear.  Great no prob. right  :roll:  Well, then the drive shaft was a tad bit off so had to lower it and put the lower unit back into gear and reinsert while trying to spin the prop( this is loads of fun by yourself  :shock: ) until the drive shaft lined up, then lower it enough to take it out of gear and then put everything back up in place  :shock:  whew!  But got her on and fired it up with no prob.  Peeing and all is good and went into and out of gear with no problems or grinding.  Was a pain by myself but I'll gladly do it again to save the money!!!    :wink:    Good luck to all this season with any repair or maint.
Its called fishing not catching for a reason.  Usually operator error

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal