Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Aquasport Model Rebuilds, Mods, Updates and Refreshes > Family Fisherman/Dual Console/Sport Rider Rebuilds

FF to Pilothouse Conversion

(1/3) > >>

Curious:
Ok guys, what do you think?  I am considering removing the windshield:

And mounting a windshield/hardtop/pilothouse similar to the Ocean Scout design:

I would have to figure out what to do about the sliding covering board that allows access to the bow but I have a couple of ideas on that.  

Any thoughts on materials?  Wood, starboard, aluminum, fiberglass?  Prefab and bolt on or build in place?  Does anyone produce aftermarket pilothouses?  Do you think a company like Ocean Scout would be able to create a version of their pilothouse to my measurements? Pros and cons?

I'm itching for a winter project and I realized last weekend that I need a "3 Season" boat.
Thanks, Dan

RickK:
I don't think it would be too hard to build one out of composites to keep the weight down and get what you wanted out of the build. Tough part, to me, would be finding prefab windows, ones that opened so you could get a breeze through the house in the summer and still be water tight and still look nice.

dburr:
Dan consider a West coast windshield.. It would give you a bunch of room that you will not have with a Typical Downeast windshield, it  might take some getting used to but it would look good.  CB found the picture for me the last time I brought it up, one of our west coast brethren did a nice conversion of a FF if I remember correctly.  

Check this link out it is what I am referring to:

http://www.classicaquasport.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1083&title=boat-bradys-field-trip-soccer-261&cat=500

With a Downeast house your gonna have a long windshield to get the headroom you want.  You will have to be careful about window size and placement or she will look out of balance like the 22 Sisu's do..  

Otherwise GREAT idea, go with the lightest strongest stuff you can get, maybe the boys at Gannon & Benjamin might have something laying around?
 :salut:

RickK:
The pic is from fishhead's 230 Osprey conversion to a pilot.

Curious:
Rick, I saw that thread, that is a nice pilothouse.  I don't think I can afford it though and I prefer the look of the slightly raked back windshield, although now that you mention it you do lose a bunch of room when you compare the two.  There's a guy on here, Antonio I think, who did something similar to a 22 walkaround, looks really good.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version