Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: 67 flatback launch difficulties  (Read 2401 times)

November 08, 2007, 09:46:17 AM
Read 2401 times

RichieZee

• Information Offline
67 flatback launch difficulties
« on: November 08, 2007, 09:46:17 AM »
Hi all,
Need some help to determine why I am having difficulty launching my 67 flatback. Launching my boat requires a lot of back bracking pushing to get it off the trailer even when the trailer is in the water.  I have a 32 roller EZ Loader which is a 1996 model tandem. The rollers spin freely when there is no weight on it.

Any input is appreciated. Thank you

November 08, 2007, 10:03:10 AM
Reply #1

damnitbadger

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 10:03:10 AM »
Take the stern straps off!  :D
Beware the lolipop of mediocrity, lick it once and you will suck forever!

88\' CCP 222 w/200 EFI Merc

November 08, 2007, 10:35:20 AM
Reply #2

John Jones

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 10:35:20 AM »
:shock:
How far are you putting the trailer in the water?  You have to go in far enough to get at least the stern of the boat floating or find an 800 lb. gorilla for a fishing partner.

Rollers that turn freely with no weight may be locked up with weight on them due to corroded shafts.
Politics have no relation to morals.
Niccolo Machiavelli

November 08, 2007, 11:14:41 AM
Reply #3

RichieZee

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 11:14:41 AM »
John,

Where can I find an 800lb. gorilla for sale? I suspect that you are correct about the shafts, they do look pitted. As far as getting the stern to float might result in getting my trucks rear wheels into the water above the brakes.

I appreciate your input, thanks.  Rich

November 08, 2007, 03:49:28 PM
Reply #4

Keith Knecht

• Information Offline
    • http://MinnowsandMonsters.com
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 03:49:28 PM »
Hey RichieZee,

Was the trailer set up for the flatback AS?   By that I mean were the rollers adjusted to fit your boat by someone who knew what they were doing?  Just because you have 32 rollers doesn't mean squat.  Poor attempt at humor there.  That is, the boat can squat on one or more rollers and not be sitting "evenly" on all of the rollers.  I don't like easy roller trailers because I have seen hull damage due to the boat resting heavier on one or more rollers.  They can actually dent the hull.  The rollers have to have the proper adjustment so that the weight is not just resting on the keel rollers but that is where the majority of the weight should be.  It's really a nightmare to adjust those trailers unless you know what you are doing.  The rollers may be fine and just out of adjustment.  Or you could have some rollers that are not working properly.  Did the boat ever slide off and on easily?  If it did, then you probably have a bad roller/s.

November 08, 2007, 05:11:39 PM
Reply #5

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
Trailer
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 05:11:39 PM »
10-4 with the above - you might want to consider replacing the rollers with bunk and use Glyde-Stiks on the bunks.  Better hull support, allows the boat to sit lower on the trailer so you don't have to back down so far, and the boat comes off the trailer (and goes on) very, very easily.  

Use cypress for the bunks and you don't have to worry about rot.
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

November 08, 2007, 07:30:04 PM
Reply #6

RichieZee

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 07:30:04 PM »
Cap'n John and Keith,
Thanks for your return posts. You have pointed out some solid advice regarding my launching problems. This is my first boat and I know that the boat and trailer came from two different owners previous to me. I have noticed that the boat does not float at the stern when the trailer is in the water. I back my truck down until the rear tires touch the water.
You have given me a starting point and installing bunks makes alot of sense since the cost would be similar to replacing the rollers.
Thanks again, Rich

November 08, 2007, 08:34:12 PM
Reply #7

John Jones

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 08:34:12 PM »
Rich,

Saltwater in the truck wheels would not be good for sure.  :shock:

I'm still looking for an affordable gorilla myself.  :wink:

I would seriously consider converting to bunks like the others said.  I wish I could remember which boat manufacturer it is but I read on one or the other's website that a roller trailer would void the hull warranty.  A properly setup bunk trailer is just so trouble free compared to rollers.  I can back my 22-2 CCP down to where there is just enough room to get behind the truck, keep my feet dry, and disconnect the winch and my boat floats off.  Same with loading.  I back down to the same spot (on my trailer the fender tops are even with the water surface) and I can power the boat right up to the bow roller on the winch stand.  Try it, you will like it ;)
Niccolo Machiavelli

November 08, 2007, 10:08:53 PM
Reply #8

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 10:08:53 PM »
Quote from: "RichieZee"
Cap'n John and Keith,
 I have noticed that the boat does not float at the stern when the trailer is in the water. I back my truck down until the rear tires touch the water.
You have given me a starting point and installing bunks makes alot of sense since the cost would be similar to replacing the rollers.
Thanks again, Rich

Rich,
You should be able to launch that boat with little effort. As everyone stated, properly set up bunks will make your life easier. I launch my 222CCP without leaving the truck. Back her down, tap the brakes and she floats right off. Even at dead low tide, my rear wheels are not in water. Retrieving is just as easy. I never power on. With the boat lined up, a good pull on the bow line will bring the nose within 3 feet of the front stop. Just crank her on. I can load and unload the beast myself. No it's not me, it's the trailer.
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

November 09, 2007, 05:15:08 AM
Reply #9

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 05:15:08 AM »
To play the devils advocate, did you guys notice where Richie is from?  I've heard that trailers have rollers up north for a reason - the severe tide swings and crummy ramps with severe tide swings. Someone on here (possibly JimCT) wrote that the rollers help them to recover their boat in the worst possible conditions.
Down here we have 2 ft tide swings and that's about it, so bunks work good for us and the trailers are usually longer so we can back in enough to float the boat off and on.
JJ - 10-4 on remembering that manufacturer who would void warrantee - I think it was the new boat Ben got.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

November 09, 2007, 08:31:37 AM
Reply #10

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 08:31:37 AM »
Quote from: "RickK"
To play the devils advocate, did you guys notice where Richie is from?  I've heard that trailers have rollers up north for a reason - the severe tide swings and crummy ramps with severe tide swings. Someone on here (possibly JimCT) wrote that the rollers help them to recover their boat in the worst possible conditions.
Down here we have 2 ft tide swings and that's about it, so bunks work good for us and the trailers are usually longer so we can back in enough to float the boat off and on.
JJ - 10-4 on remembering that manufacturer who would void warrantee - I think it was the new boat Ben got.

You're right about that, I didn't notice. The rollers would be much easier to load when the tide was very low. I recall a situation on the Carrabelle River where dragging the hull over the bunks was a pita. Rollers would have come in handy that particular day.
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

November 09, 2007, 09:21:08 AM
Reply #11

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
Bunks vs. rollers
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 09:21:08 AM »
Install side rails and front bunks to center the bow, and you can make a bunk trailer almost foolproof for retrieval.  I can hit mine at a 30 degree angle and it will self-center and go right on.  Makes you look like you really know what you are doing!  As Capt. Bob said "it ain't me, it's the trailer..."   :wink:

The one disadvantage of bunk trailers I know of is that they will freeze to the hull in really cold weather.  But if it's that cold, why are you taking the boat out?!   :roll:

See ya on the water!
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"

November 09, 2007, 01:33:45 PM
Reply #12

John Jones

• Information Offline
Re: Bunks vs. rollers
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 01:33:45 PM »
Quote from: "GoneFission"
Install side rails and front bunks to center the bow

What a difference front bunks makes :!:   I can load mine blindfolded.

Quote from: "GoneFission"
The one disadvantage of bunk trailers I know of is that they will freeze to the hull in really cold weather.  But if it's that cold, why are you taking the boat out?!

I imagine he will be out in the cold if he is duck hunting.  ;)  I would think a good coat of "Pam" on the bunks would help alleviate that.
Niccolo Machiavelli

November 09, 2007, 02:28:52 PM
Reply #13

LilRichard

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 02:28:52 PM »
What are "side rails"?

I assume the bunks you are talking about are the ones farther forward... guide bunks, right?

November 09, 2007, 03:49:19 PM
Reply #14

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2007, 03:49:19 PM »
Yes, guide bunks, side bunks, guide rails, whatever...   Here's what the setup looks like:

Here are the front bunks - they center the boat and provide some support for the bow area - you can see the white Glyde-Stiks - they really work:

Hope this helps!
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal