Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Aquasport Mechanicals - things that need a wrench, screwdriver or multimeter > Anchors, Power Anchors (Power Pole and Talon) and Windlass

What size anchor

(1/4) > >>

bondobill:
Pulled my Danforth anchor out of boat the other day.  :shock:
It be kaput !
Close to 20 years since the last time I looked at it.
The anchor and chain is nothing more than one big ball of rust. Can't even unravel the chain
Just wondering what size I need for my 222 FF......I am thinking this one was 12 Lbs  ....and how much chain and size of chain do I need ?  

Bill

gran398:
Go ahead and spend the bucks on the Fortress, "World's Best Anchor."

This one is all you'll need

http://www.fortressanchors.com/selectio ... &Unit=Feet

Lightweight, won't rust, sets fast, holds great.

Longer the chain, the quicker it gets down, and the faster it sets. And the less rode you'll need. The grouper fisherman around here in 100 feet of water or more go with 20 feet of chain. Beach anchoring, shallow water, etc. 8 to 10 feet of chain is a plenty IMHO.

On the rode diameter we went with  half inch.

Georgie:
X2 !!!!!!!!

or Guardian G-11 for the economy version.  As Scotty said, the lightweight AL-MAG materials allow you to use some extra chain which has the dual benefit of helping to hold bottom better in bouncy seas AND to reduce the amount of scope necessary for a safe hold.  Finally got one for myself a couple years ago and will NEVER own anything else again.  I do recommend at LEAST 10 ft. of chain though.

:thumright:

Add to that the fact that it's so light that the Admiral can even haul it.  Gives me quite a nice "view" as Captain.    :pirat:

GoneFission:
Maybe I'm the naysayer here, but I would go for a steel anchor.  I have a lot of respect for the lightweight anchors, but you have to put more chain on them, and by the time you are done, you've got the weight of a steel anchor.   :scratch:  Steel will drop and stick better than aluminum every time.  How about a 13 lb. galvanized steel anchor with 4-5 feet of chain and a couple lengths of nylon rode?   :scratch:   :thumright:   Also, you can get one for less than $50, so if you get it stuck and lose it, you don't feel sooooooo bad...   :roll:   Check out prices and make your choice.   :thumleft:

wingtime:
I had a Guardian anchor and I loved it....:-) until I lost it. It all depends on how you use the anchor and what type of bottom you anchor in the majority if the time. If you get an alloy anchor be sure to reef rig it so you don't loose it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version