You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Aquasport Mechanicals - things that need a wrench, screwdriver or multimeter > Props

Props

(1/2) > >>

JimCt:
Is it fair to say that an I/O would use the same prop as an outboard given the same HP, boat weight & waterline length?  It makes sense to me that the props would be the same but is there some difference I'm missing?

I'm trying to establish what diameter/pitch prop I should use for my 240.  I've tried using the prop finder Mercury Marine has on their site but after I plug in the length, weight, hp and so forth the selector bombs out.  The numbers for the rig are: weight approx. 4300#, waterline length about 21.5', HP 230, max WOT revs @4600, Alpha Drive ratio of 1.62, and the mission is good "all-around" performance.

Lastly, are S.S. props all that superior to aluminum props?

Any guidance as to what would be a good prop choice is appreciated.

John Jones:
Jim, I'm not expert but there is one that hangs out in Florida Sportsman Boating section.  http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zeroforum?id=16

Make a post there with all the details.  "Dunk" is a marine surveyor from south Jersey and is great with props as well as other stuff and has helped a lot of folks.  He will answer your post within a day or two.

JimCt:
Will give it a shot.  Just signed up.

Tx JJ!

pete:
A ss prop is definately the way to go,much stiffer than alum so there is less flex,your pitch stays truer,also much sturdier and easy to have repaired,I have had ss props on my last 3 boats and wouldn't go any other way.one prop will last as long as you own the boat,if it gets nicked up or bent just take to a prop shop and get it refurbished. :D

Bluesbrother:
Its true that the SS props can be repaired, but remember if you hit something it will not giveway as easy as an alloy prop. The shock is essentially absorbed by the lower unit and shaft. If you damage those it is much more expensive. Also the SS prop is much heavier.  I really wonder if you will notice the difference between the two on these type of boats. ( they are not race boats)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version