Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Paint below the waterline  (Read 941 times)

December 03, 2012, 09:46:40 AM
Read 941 times

Capt_E

• Information Offline
Paint below the waterline
« on: December 03, 2012, 09:46:40 AM »
Starting to look at paint for my rebuild.  I dont want to use anti-fouling bottom paint but am having a hard time getting a straight answer on what other paint to use below the waterline.  Seems everything I read, they all say something different.  My boat will be trailered, but I would like to  have the option to keep the boat in the water for a few days if needed.  So, what paint is good to use below the waterline?
1974 Aquasport 22-2

December 03, 2012, 10:32:24 AM
Reply #1

flounderpounder225

• Information Offline
Re: Paint below the waterline
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 10:32:24 AM »
Quote from: "Capt_E"
Starting to look at paint for my rebuild.  I dont want to use anti-fouling bottom paint but am having a hard time getting a straight answer on what other paint to use below the waterline.  Seems everything I read, they all say something different.  My boat will be trailered, but I would like to  have the option to keep the boat in the water for a few days if needed.  So, what paint is good to use below the waterline?

This is what I used, I love it.  Hard and slick, it has teflon in it, about as close to Gelcoat as you can get.  It does NOT have anti fouling properties, but only a few days at a time is usually not an issue.  If you have bottom paint on the boat now. you'll have to get it off (FUN) then prime and paint.  I rolled mine and it came out good.
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... ance_epoxy
Marc
1997 245 Osprey, 250 HPDI.  SOLD

December 03, 2012, 12:27:19 PM
Reply #2

kraw2

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 12:27:19 PM »
Use what he posted. I have also used it and it's just about the only way to go without applying new gelcoat.

December 03, 2012, 12:55:16 PM
Reply #3

Circle Hooked

• Information Offline
    • http://www.theaquasportboatclub.com/index.php
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 12:55:16 PM »
If you don't have bottom paint now think of the negatives before you do it, like reduced speed and gph, I keep my boat in the water from time to time with no ill effects, usually a week at a time during the summer, but if your going to leave in in for weeks on end then I understand, just throwing this out there.
Scott
1997 225 Explorer

December 03, 2012, 02:11:51 PM
Reply #4

flounderpounder225

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 02:11:51 PM »
Quote from: "Circle Hooked"
If you don't have bottom paint now think of the negatives before you do it, like reduced speed and gph, I keep my boat in the water from time to time with no ill effects, usually a week at a time during the summer, but if your going to leave in in for weeks on end then I understand, just throwing this out there.

Totally agree, if you have gelcoat now, and its in decent shape, leave it alone.  I did mine because I needed to get rid of bottom paint and didn't want the hassle of trying to restore the gelcoat.  This stuff is so slick, I would be surprised if there is much difference in speed though, I picked up 3-4 MPH when going to it from worn ablative bottom coating.  They also make "VC Performance Offshore" which is their stay in the water paint.  Very hard also, and has the ablative stuff for keeping growth down, both good products, just depends if your going to be leaving it in the water for any length of time.  Here is my thread from when I did mine, pics included.  viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5662&hilit=bottom+paint
Marc

December 03, 2012, 02:59:36 PM
Reply #5

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 02:59:36 PM »
CE,
How do you plan on removing the old paint? The paint linked above may help cover some of the effects members have pointed out with soda blasting.

Good luck.
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

December 03, 2012, 03:23:57 PM
Reply #6

wingtime

• Information Offline
    • http://50newtmotorclub.shutterfly.com/
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 03:23:57 PM »
Not to derail.... well this is a bottom paint thread.  Marc, how did you go about removing your bottom paint?  I'd like to remove the bottom paint on my 245 to gain some speed but mainly save some gas $$$.  Of course I would like to do this without damaging the gel coat.  It has two coats of regular old bottom paint on it now and it's flaking off in some spots.  Where it is flaking off I can tell it looks like whoever put on the first coat of paint didn't sand the gel coat since it is shinny underneath.   While waxing the boat last week I decided to try and remove some paint from the trim tabs.  I hard that Easy Off oven cleaner will remove bottom paint but all I had was a can of the odorless type.  I sprayed some on one of the tabs and let it set a few minutes.  Then I hit it with a scraper.... and the paint came off!  So I sprayed the other tab and a spot of the hull...   Did better on the tab than the hull still it worked similar to any paint remover I have used...  I'll bet the regular stinky kind would work better.
1998 Explorer w/ Etec 250

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

December 03, 2012, 03:50:37 PM
Reply #7

Capt_E

• Information Offline
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 03:50:37 PM »
The entire hull is going to be sanded, including sanding off the old bottom paint.
1974 Aquasport 22-2

December 06, 2012, 05:55:44 PM
Reply #8

flounderpounder225

• Information Offline
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 05:55:44 PM »
Quote from: "wingtime"
Not to derail.... well this is a bottom paint thread.  Marc, how did you go about removing your bottom paint?  I'd like to remove the bottom paint on my 245 to gain some speed but mainly save some gas $$$.  Of course I would like to do this without damaging the gel coat.  It has two coats of regular old bottom paint on it now and it's flaking off in some spots.  Where it is flaking off I can tell it looks like whoever put on the first coat of paint didn't sand the gel coat since it is shinny underneath.   While waxing the boat last week I decided to try and remove some paint from the trim tabs.  I hard that Easy Off oven cleaner will remove bottom paint but all I had was a can of the odorless type.  I sprayed some on one of the tabs and let it set a few minutes.  Then I hit it with a scraper.... and the paint came off!  So I sprayed the other tab and a spot of the hull...   Did better on the tab than the hull still it worked similar to any paint remover I have used...  I'll bet the regular stinky kind would work better.

I sanded my bottom with 60 grit, orbital and 7" disc grinder.  I knew I was not going to save the gelcoat so I just wanted the nasty ablative paint gone.  Is it perfect? No, you can see some sanding marks here and there, but that VC epoxy is slick and hard and it looks great unless you get right down on it and examine it, which I'm not doing, and no one has dove under my boat and said there are sanding marks on the hull :D the epoxy is pretty thin, so 3 coats is ideal, a tac coat, then another while it's tacky, then a heavy final the next day.
Marc

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal