Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: Cleat Mishap  (Read 185 times)

May 04, 2021, 08:29:04 PM
Read 185 times

boatnamesue

• Information Offline
  • Jason
Cleat Mishap
« on: May 04, 2021, 08:29:04 PM »
1976 170

Port transom cleat pulled right off this weekend...or at least part of the cleat....and I was only wrapping line around it when this happened.  It appears this style of cleat has a backing plate because the plate and its 4 screws are still secured to transom.  But the corrosion around the base plate is too far gone to save.  The whole cleat unit needs replace.  Which brings me to my question.  This '76 transom is original, so needless to say I'm not too excited about drilling new holes to mount a new cleat (I plan to choose cleat model with only 2 mounting screws). 

I reckon to fill the old holes with epoxy.  I'm not concerned with the aesthetics of this repair since the new cleat and the line I keep wrapped around it will cover the fill holes.  But when drilling new holes for new cleat, do you recommend over-drilling, fill with epoxy and set, then under-drill pilot holes for screw diameter larger than pilot but smaller than over-drilled holes?

Photo below is an old photo but at least gives ya an idea of the style of cleat installed. 

---------------
Jason
1976 AS 170
1998 S115TLRW

May 05, 2021, 06:53:45 AM
Reply #1

mshugg

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
Re: Cleat Mishap
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 06:53:45 AM »
That looks like a zink/ZAMAC cleat.  They’re meant be cheap cleats used on freshwater boats, and they’re not great for that.  Definitely upgrade to SS.  As for fasteners, cleats should be through bolted with backing plates. If you’re transom is good, fill the holes, and drill new ones to match hole pager on new cleat.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal