Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: '88 Aquasport Striper 20' Gas Tank  (Read 874 times)

May 27, 2009, 10:19:26 AM
Read 874 times

bob7070

• Information Offline
'88 Aquasport Striper 20' Gas Tank
« on: May 27, 2009, 10:19:26 AM »
I bought my first Aquasport last fall, I love it.  There is a soft spot in the rear deck and I have a fiberglass guy that is recommending I redo almost a 4' X 4' section of the rear deck. I'm going to do this prior to installing a new leaning post and T-Top.  When we were inspecting for the repair I noticed a faint gas smell and since the repair is coming almost to the rear of the existing gas tank that I might as well change out the gas tank while we have the hole in the deck.  Has anyone done this before and can anyone recommend a make and model of gas tank to use?  I have no literature on the boat and at best I could tell from your site is that the original tank could have been a 56 gal tank.  But that's all I got......

Thankx
Bob7070

May 27, 2009, 01:16:49 PM
Reply #1

Kevin

• Information Offline
Re: '88 Aquasport Striper 20' Gas Tank
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 01:16:49 PM »
I have a 20ft 88 appart right now. I took my tank out. The manufacturers label still on it the company is still in business under a new name in same town in FL. I googled it .
They had the plans for all three 20 ft models . You can pick yours out by the hose pickups and the gauge.
 I live outside of Boston and knew a good welding in Plymouth ma. Capeway Welding  Ron Peck . since he was only 40 miles away I just brought him the tank and he duplicated it.  Pon is very knowledgeable Had the neprene Rubber  for Banding/securing tank.
HE walked me through the whole process . He was about the same price as florida outfit and I didn't have to worry about shipping. It will go in this weekend .
 while you have console off & Deck/hatch off. you ought to think about the resecuring of console. My screw where all loose ,caulking was holding them in
I dried all the holes and filled them with west epozy
with adhesive filler. for the forward three bolts  I cut a 5 to 6 in inspection circle in the fwd wall of tank
hatch . buy the Beckson hatch first and trace it. Then you can get in under deck .  I took a Strip of Hard mahagony ( starboard & epoxy don't likre each other so I went with a hard Mahagony).  I had in my barn and  2 1/2 inch wide  3/4 thick and about the length of a 2 inches past the outer screw holes .  I lined up the wholes and attached t Nuts to the mahagony after I epozyed entire piece of wood . Once everything was dry I Lined it up and put west 404 adhesive , big dab of it between holes,   I then slid it through inspection hatch  and secured it with 1/4 20 bolt with a washer  . Once you secure it you should take out each one separately to be sure no epoxy is on the threads. When everything is dry you can secure your console with 3 bolts in the front.
for the three rear holes I just epoxyed a mahagony
strip on the underside of the hatch  over those wholes. I didn't bother with t nuts on aft end. Iam just going to screw it in With the regular deck size then the 3/4 strip that should give you a substantual material for screw.
I have to get back to work. Good luck.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal