You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Aquasport Model Rebuilds, Mods, Updates and Refreshes > 240 Rebuilds

1972 240 Rebuild

(1/3) > >>

Captnbrody:
I started sanding the transom and the floor around the transom. As i removed the deck i found that the stringers were delaminating in multiple spots and the port stringer has a vertical crack.

My plan is the complete the transom using kay-cel, 1 sheet of 3/4" board and 2 sheets of 1/2". Im going to patch some of the existing holes with 1708 and lay 1 piece woven roven to level out the inside skin. I will be using epoxy for the entire re-build below deck.

RickK:
The hull looks incredibly clean. The lack of bonding putty on the tops of the stringers or anywhere for that matter is almost scary.  What was holding everything together? What held the liner to the stringers?

Captnbrody:
The bonding putty was on top of the stringers heavy, but real thin on the sides of the hull. I used a grinder with a sanding disk and a chisel to knock it off, it came off in pieces.  If you look closely in the pictures you can see chunks of the putty in the bilge area and the upper side of the transom. I’m still working on those areas.

Ulysses485:
Looks like your jumping right into it! The stringer tabbing looks nonexistent on the outside of that stringer tabbing. Did you buy the boat with the deck partially gutted? It looks like someone has been in there before. If you look at the seahunter that i started and eventually sold, it had similar failure to the stringer tabbing. I guess the weight forward because of the cabin and the shorter stringer bodies. The current build of my 240cc doesn't have nearly as bad of stringer tabbing failure but its a 74 and the stringers are taller and a different layout because they were primarily outboard boats. Show some overall interior photos of the boat. Looks like you got the cap off! Great start to your rebuild. Don't hesitate to share and ask questions. I'm deep in to rebuilding a 240cc myself and spent a couple hours Sunday doing some final grinding before I start glassing. 

Captnbrody:

--- Quote from: Ulysses485 on May 01, 2023, 08:23:06 AM ---Looks like your jumping right into it! The stringer tabbing looks nonexistent on the outside of that stringer tabbing. Did you buy the boat with the deck partially gutted? It looks like someone has been in there before. If you look at the seahunter that i started and eventually sold, it had similar failure to the stringer tabbing. I guess the weight forward because of the cabin and the shorter stringer bodies. The current build of my 240cc doesn't have nearly as bad of stringer tabbing failure but its a 74 and the stringers are taller and a different layout because they were primarily outboard boats. Show some overall interior photos of the boat. Looks like you got the cap off! Great start to your rebuild. Don't hesitate to share and ask questions. I'm deep in to rebuilding a 240cc myself and spent a couple hours Sunday doing some final grinding before I start glassing.

--- End quote ---

I’ll get some overall pics uploaded this week. I cut the deck out right before the side console and removed the liner with it.
I’ll be following build pretty closely.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version