You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Aquasport Model Rebuilds, Mods, Updates and Refreshes > Flatback 22-2 Rebuilds

68 flatback 222 rebuild

(1/3) > >>

IRBflatback68:
After lurking here and searching online we found a 68 flatback and joined the club. This is going to be a family project that everyone is excited about and the inspiration came from this site. We will definitely be asking a lot questions seeing as I wouldn't have made the purchase or taken the leap to attempt a rebuild without this website and the information you all provide or the help and support that my family provides. So thank you in advance. Here she is in all her glory:

Here is after a couple days of tear down:

Now we have all the foam out of the side stringer and have some questions.

How important is a cradle? I want to keep it on the trailer if possible. The hull hasn't tweaked as far as I can tell. (I got nervous after emptying the foam out of the stringers in the trailer and did some research and thoroughly inspected it) I was imagining at this point putting crossmembers across the hull sides at both the lip of the floor we left in it and up near the cap before removing the transom. The bottom seams to be supported well on the trailer so I was thinking if I go in smaller steps I should be good. Does this sound adequate enough?

As far as the transom, someone obviously closed it already but it is wood and it has been sitting for years so I plan to remove and go back with coosa. Whenever they did this it looks like they removed the liner so that is out of the way. It came with a set back motor bracket that I will get a picture of and ask about later but the more I think about it I imagine a jack plate being the way to go.

Definitely more to come and I am sure I am missing some things but I just want some opinions on what I should move forward on next. Hoping to get a couple days in in early July then get some material and hit it hard towards the end of the month. As far as goals I am not putting any time frame on anything just 1 goal. Get her on the water no matter what it takes and document it on here so others have information.

Now lets hope I posted the pictures correctly.

Look forward to feedback and thanks again.

Jeff

RickK:
Nice!.  The outside skin of the transom seems to be in good shape so I would just leave that intact and cut the wood out from the inside. No racking will happen because the skin is still holding it's shape. The stringers look to be in great shape, like new.
As for using a jack plate - you won't get enough lift to allow tilting the engine out of the water without hitting the transom. Start a search for a used porta-bracket and get it rebuilt and powder coated, as a lot of guys have done here during their rebuild.  The Porta has a lot more articulation to allow tilting the engine out of the water without hitting the transom.

Tampa Bay Mike:
That looks like a great candidate for a rebuild! You should be okay without a cradle unless you remove the entire transom or cut the stringers out. Like Rick said you'll probably enjoy the porta bracket more but you may be able to get away with a bigger jackplate. Look up Hanson boats. They have a similar transom and use a jackplate.

Ulysses485:
Great find! Looks to be a great start to a rebuild. I agree with what's already been said. Because the exterior transom skin is in tact and it looks like you left some of the stringer tops i would say working off the trailer would be just fine.  However, i would run some 1x2 or whatever you might have laying around about every 4ft or so to keep from the hull side shape and from loosing its "memory". Without the floor it might want to start bowing out in the center section. You definitely want to do this if and when you remove the cap to re-core etc. and would go closer together at that time.

Looking forward to following along with your build. What is your intended use when finished?

RickK:

--- Quote from: Tampa Bay Mike on June 28, 2021, 01:48:52 PM ---That looks like a great candidate for a rebuild! You should be okay without a cradle unless you remove the entire transom or cut the stringers out. Like Rick said you'll probably enjoy the porta bracket more but you may be able to get away with a bigger jackplate. Look up Hanson boats. They have a similar transom and use a jackplate.
--- End quote ---
I looked at the Hanson FB site - their FB knockoff has a 14" jackplate on it - holy moly, can't imagine what that weighs - my 6" electric JP weighs 40 lbs, which wouldn't faze a 222 but is a lot for a 170.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version