Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Aquasport Mechanicals - things that need a wrench, screwdriver or multimeter > Anchors, Power Anchors (Power Pole and Talon) and Windlass

What is the best anchor?

(1/4) > >>

RickK:
I need to replace the anchor on the 230 and have been researching this on the web and have come to no conclusion.
I thought that the plow types were the best and have bid on 3 and lost on 3 (at the last second too by someone sneeking in that wasn't bidding at all  :x ) on ebay.
I found this table on Wikipedia that seems to show that a cheap ole Fortress style using the correct chain length and scope can be just as good as a multi-hundred$ new fangled anchor. Study done by West marine I think. See the summary right below the chart.  Here is the whole article.
So what do you all think?

JimCt:
What's te mission Rick?  Mooring the boat for overnight or an easily retrieved "lunch hook" for beach/fishing?  With the space you've got now you could have both.  My preference is Danforth.

John Jones:
I have a Danforth.  IMHO Danforth or that style is the best.  It's all in the chain.  The more chain, the better any of them work.  The only time I would recommend different is wreck fishing.  Then the 4-prong aluminum grappling hook anchors are better becaue the hook prongs will straighten out with enough pull.  Leaving anchors in a wreck gets expensive.  I just make sure I get far enough up current from a wreck before dropping anchor, then let out enough scope to get back to the wreck.  You don't want to be right on top of the wreck anyway.

SEE ME BEFORE YOU BUY.   I might have something you would want behind the shed.  Much cheaper than new.  :wink:

John Jones:
Here is mine

I have this one I don't need.  It's a Danforth copy and a size larger than mine.

John Jones:
Another anchor tip.

NEVER EVER buy the vinyl coated chain.  Within a year the vinyl cracks trapping saltwater under the coating and within another year it's junk.  Hot dipped galvanize (dull gray) will last forever if you rinse it off.  The bright electro-plate galvanized like they sell at home centers and Wal-Mart will be a pile of rust in a year.  Stainless is fine but doesn't fit my wallet.

Tip #3
Hydro-bubble anchors are a joke.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version