You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: WHo should I get to redo my 1970 22-2?  (Read 658 times)

January 23, 2012, 03:29:35 PM
Read 658 times

flatbackpaul

• Information Offline
WHo should I get to redo my 1970 22-2?
« on: January 23, 2012, 03:29:35 PM »
I am looking for someone to redo my 1970 22-2 Flatback.  Please make some recommendations and share experiences with the company that you used.  Also, please explain the advantage to enclosing the transom.

Thank you,

Paul Greenspan

January 23, 2012, 04:45:45 PM
Reply #1

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
Re: WHo should I get to redo my 1970 22-2?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 04:45:45 PM »
Paul thanks for the inquiry.

Posting rules do not allow us to make specific company recommendations, or conversely, criticisms on this public forum.

However, if you will tell us where you are located...the members can communicate with you via PM (private message).

The closed transom is personal preference, but generally allows easy use of power poles, added storage, longer running surface, shallow running jackplates, etc.

Others say they allow the boat to be overpowered, and kill the looks of a classic. Not looking to start a debate here, just stating both trains of thought.

Closed transom boats are very popular when the target species is tarpon.

Best wishes to you...and best of luck on the rebuild.

January 24, 2012, 07:55:22 AM
Reply #2

Capt Matt

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
    • http://www.captmattmitchell.com
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 07:55:22 AM »
Closed transoms are also done for saftey, transoms on these older boats where very low and made for a 20 inch shaft motor. A full transom allows you to back up in sea's without worrying so much about taking a wave over the stern. A full transom with a cap also makes extra seating, a rear casting platform and a great cabinet for lots of rigging and hiding all the pumps, filters, fuel hose etc. They just give you a cleaner install look than a regular transom. I use a powerpole 95% of the time or anchor off the stern, the full transom allows me to do this even in a good chop with no worries. If everything is tied together with transom knee's as part of your stringers and cap its going to give you a crazy strong transom which if you plan on using a porta lift is a must.
Capt Matt
www.captmattmitchell.com
Light tackle sportfishing

January 30, 2012, 09:28:19 PM
Reply #3

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 09:28:19 PM »
Paul,

You posed a good question...and being new, we sure don't expect you to know forum rules.

The rules...the more I've thought through them...the better sense they continue to make.

So let's go forward on your rebuild. Hope you are still with us, we're here to help. Thanks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal