You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: Bilge Plumbing? 80's 17  (Read 2417 times)

October 04, 2011, 06:35:02 PM
Reply #15

Fletch170

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
Re: Bilge Plumbing? 80's 17
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011, 06:35:02 PM »
Hey guys... the stringers are NOT bonded to the deck all the way back. There is a gap under the drainage trough and the stringers....more then enough space to run the bildge line.

Mine did not have a through hull either.....the PO had the hose pumping out into the trough...........more tales of half-assery on my 17.
1981 2100 CC Hydra Sport
1976 170 (sold)

October 04, 2011, 09:14:43 PM
Reply #16

MarshMarlowe196

• Information Offline
    • http://www.keywestboatsforum.com
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 09:14:43 PM »
Quote from: "HIFLUTIN"
Guys this Photo Bucket Gimmick is Driving me crazy!!!
can't seem to work right with computer.
Can I post a Link to my album?
You were missing a "[" in front of your "IMG]..." (image code).  Also, your pictures can only be 800 pixels wide.  You can adjust the settings in your photobucket album so that every picture you upload fits this Forum's rules.  Here's how-

http://support.photobucket.com/app/answ ... ail/a_id/7

Here you go.  As Capt Bob says, "The first one's free..." :)

Key West 1720 / Yam C90

Sold: 1973 Aquasport 19-6

October 04, 2011, 09:18:38 PM
Reply #17

MarshMarlowe196

• Information Offline
    • http://www.keywestboatsforum.com
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 09:18:38 PM »
Quote from: "Fletch170"
Hey guys... the stringers are NOT bonded to the deck all the way back. There is a gap under the drainage trough and the stringers....more then enough space to run the bildge line.

Mine did not have a through hull either.....the PO had the hose pumping out into the trough...........more tales of half-assery on my 17.

How would you plumb it up and overboard after you run the bilge hose under the floor?  The sidewall of my boat gets increasingly thin as it goes up toward the gunwale...  :scratch:  Does the stern of your boat look like the one pictured?
Key West 1720 / Yam C90

Sold: 1973 Aquasport 19-6

October 04, 2011, 10:39:28 PM
Reply #18

KelpKritter

• Information Offline
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 10:39:28 PM »
On my '78 170 the bilge pump is directly below the access hatch in the picture and is attached, via a short hose, to a fitting in the splashwell that is directly in line with the center drain in the transom.  I plug all three drains since they sit well below the waterline on my boat. When the bilge is turned on the water is pumped directly overboard through the drain hole, assuming it does not have a plug in it. I get very little, if any water in my bilge so the only time I have to worry about pumping it out is when it is back on the trailer.  I would try and post a picture for you but my camera is down.

Hope that makes some sense.

Dave

October 05, 2011, 08:25:42 AM
Reply #19

Fletch170

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2011, 08:25:42 AM »
Mine looks similiar. There is about 3-4 inches of room all the way up. I would suggest mointing the pump on the starboard side, run the line through the gap between the stringer and deck, and up, should have lots of room.

-Christian
1981 2100 CC Hydra Sport
1976 170 (sold)

October 06, 2011, 06:37:42 PM
Reply #20

c master

• Information Offline
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2011, 06:37:42 PM »
Herein lies the challenge:

Looking at your picture, what I want to know is:  Aren't you blocked at the floor-to-sidewall connection inside the hull?  (below your stbd pie-plate)?  Isn't there some sort of port/starboard "shoulder" that the floor rests on?  In other words, even if you get past the primary stringer, is there even a way to run a hose from the bilge to the side of the hull above the floor?   If you shine a flashlight from the pump location, can you see any light through that starboard pie-plate?  Seeing- or not seeing - light would be a good indicator I think.

If you want your discharge at the aft quarter, I'm really thinking it can't be done without tearing the floor out.   :|  

"Never underestimate the satisfaction of simply giving up."
C Master
1975 Aquasport 170
file:///C:/Users/cliff.haehl/AppData/Local/Temp/IMG_0135.jpg

October 07, 2011, 08:18:55 AM
Reply #21

Fletch170

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2011, 08:18:55 AM »
C Master, At least on my 76, the floor is supported by the cap at the edges, it is not connected to the hull, but I understand what you are saying.
1981 2100 CC Hydra Sport
1976 170 (sold)

October 10, 2011, 05:04:59 PM
Reply #22

HIFLUTIN

• Information Offline
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2011, 05:04:59 PM »
Quote from: "KelpKritter"
On my '78 170 the bilge pump is directly below the access hatch in the picture and is attached, via a short hose, to a fitting in the splashwell that is directly in line with the center drain in the transom.  I plug all three drains since they sit well below the waterline on my boat. When the bilge is turned on the water is pumped directly overboard through the drain hole, assuming it does not have a plug in it. I get very little, if any water in my bilge so the only time I have to worry about pumping it out is when it is back on the trailer.  I would try and post a picture for you but my camera is down.

Hope that makes some sense.

Dave
Dave-So the Bilge pump pumps water to the Splash well & "gravity" drains the water thru the center drain? I have the 3 drain holes in the splash area.This might sound stupid but if it goes out the center hole doesn't the water hit the motor?. Would like to see pics if you can-thanks

October 10, 2011, 05:12:16 PM
Reply #23

HIFLUTIN

• Information Offline
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2011, 05:12:16 PM »
Quote from: "HIFLUTIN"
I have an access port to the Bilge area & mounting the actual Pump is no prob.
But what about the actual Plumbing Hose & discharge port.
I think the gunnels are Foam filled ,not sure what they did from factory?
Looking for some suggest for a neat/clean install
Thanks

Guys thanks for all the responds-
I looked all thru & there is no way to run a bilge hose between the Stringer & floor with out some "hacking" which I really do not want to do. Trying not to have to much hose showing. We plug fish alot a could see my 9 year old son hanging a treble hook in one.
Thanks

October 10, 2011, 10:29:49 PM
Reply #24

KelpKritter

• Information Offline
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2011, 10:29:49 PM »
No gravity involved.  Once the pump goes on the water in the bilge is "shot" directly through the center drain if there is not a plug in the drain. As for the motor, I suppose it might be in the way but the water would essentially bounce off of it an disperse into the water outside the boat. I can't imagine it coming back into the hull.

I will try and take a picture tomorrow with my cell phone and see if I can get it to you somehow.

Dave

October 11, 2011, 11:09:21 AM
Reply #25

c master

• Information Offline
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2011, 11:09:21 AM »
Hi Flutin...

How often do you need to pump out your bilge?  The reason I ask is that if the answer is (a) "often", you have too much water coming in from someplace.  OR (b), "not often", which means that like most of us you simply want the security of a powered pump in case you need it.  I get about 1 qt of water in my bilge over 24 hours.  The pump wouldn't even remove much of that...it's about what would be left in the hose.  I have to drain the last of it on the trailer.

Anyway, if your answer's "(b)" my thought is, would you be satisfied with installing the pump, but leaving the discharge hose coiled up below the access port (under the floor)?  When you need to pump, just open the port, throw the hose over the transom, flip the switch and commence pumpin'.   This is less convenient than a through-hull but the upside is that you don't have an exposed discharge hose, and you DO have a way to pump out.  

You probably know this - so apologies if I'm being patronizing - but smaller boats need big pumps (i.e: 100 gallons of water in a 170 is a much higher ratio of water-to-boat than 100 gallons in a 22')   As a 'security pump', 1500 gph is about the minimum, IMHO.  

C
C Master
1975 Aquasport 170

October 11, 2011, 05:04:41 PM
Reply #26

HIFLUTIN

• Information Offline
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2011, 05:04:41 PM »
Quote from: "c master"
Hi Flutin...

How often do you need to pump out your bilge?  The reason I ask is that if the answer is (a) "often", you have too much water coming in from someplace.  OR (b), "not often", which means that like most of us you simply want the security of a powered pump in case you need it.  I get about 1 qt of water in my bilge over 24 hours.  The pump wouldn't even remove much of that...it's about what would be left in the hose.  I have to drain the last of it on the trailer.

Anyway, if your answer's "(b)" my thought is, would you be satisfied with installing the pump, but leaving the discharge hose coiled up below the access port (under the floor)?  When you need to pump, just open the port, throw the hose over the transom, flip the switch and commence pumpin'.   This is less convenient than a through-hull but the upside is that you don't have an exposed discharge hose, and you DO have a way to pump out.  

You probably know this - so apologies if I'm being patronizing - but smaller boats need big pumps (i.e: 100 gallons of water in a 170 is a much higher ratio of water-to-boat than 100 gallons in a 22')   As a 'security pump', 1500 gph is about the minimum, IMHO.  

C
I plan to keep the boat in the water for extended periods of time.                                      I know the Deck is self-bailing, Should I have a concern for the bilge area?                        My old man always said about Boats & anything to do with general construction-
"Water always wins"?

October 12, 2011, 04:23:18 PM
Reply #27

c master

• Information Offline
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2011, 04:23:18 PM »
I see.  Well, I understand your dad's point.  Having had a number of boats that lived in the water (sailboats mostly, but also a 20' Shamrock center console), here are my thoughts.  

1. The Aquasport shouldn't take on much - if any - water directly into the bilge.   The only real access below water level should be the transom bilge drain bolt and it shouldn't leak.
2. "Indirectly", some rain water, hose water or spray could get in via a number of above-deck locations, but again, shouldn't be much.  I get a little rain into the bilge, mostly because of two bass-seat floor plates that weren't sealed properly before I bought the boat.  But we're certainly not talking about enough water to swamp the boat.  I'm assuming your transom drain holes are above the waterline when the boat is empty.
3.  I'd recommend a nice tight boat cover unless your boat would be under cover, such as under a boat-house at a lake.
4. Living in the water absolutely means anti-fouling bottom paint.  You would be surprised how fast a hull will get trashed without it.  This is really necessary.  It should be a paint for high-speed boat applications.  (harder surface than what is used for sailboats)

Bilge pumps take a lot of power.  My other boats were hooked up to shore-power whenever I wasn't around.  This kept the batteries full, via a fancy, computer-controlled trickle-charge / converter system.    But those were big boats with plenty of room for such a system.  And which would cost more than my 170 is worth.

lastly, responding to your thought about avoiding the 'external' discharge hose when using the boat:  Maybe you could make some sort of "easily disconnectable" hose connection through your deck-plate, with the hose clipped over the transom while you're away.
C
C Master
1975 Aquasport 170

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal