You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: I am going to buy a transom mount trolling motor, which one?  (Read 4714 times)

September 25, 2006, 11:16:19 AM
Read 4714 times

Ben87

• Information Offline
I am going to buy a transom mount trolling motor, which one?
« on: September 25, 2006, 11:16:19 AM »
Hello all,

I have finally come to the conclusion that I need a transom mount trolling motor.  I have considered Bow Mount, but with the trouble of mounting it and the possiblity of it being stolen despite it maybe being detatchable, I'd prefer a transom mounted gig that I can easily control from the back while either myself or others are fishing and to possibly spare my lower unit/prop any damage.  

I will be considering the most powerful of any of the transom mount trolling motors in a saltwater version.  Have any of you used any of these or recommend any?

September 25, 2006, 11:53:54 AM
Reply #1

fishbonz

Trolling Motor
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 11:53:54 AM »
Until this season, I mounted an 84LB MinnKota on my transom on a Birdsall removable mount.  See my gallery for a photo.  The advantage of this system it that the motor sits back behind the trim tabs and the entire mount is removable, leaving just a flat, round plate.  This also works with an enclosed transom.  84LB is the biggest 24V motor out there and moved my 222 well.

The problem with a transom mount is manueverability.  I went with a bow mount this year and it works much better.  The thing is a beast with a 60" shaft but it is sweet.  I used the MinnKota removable mount and built a pad so that the motor is level.  

M

September 25, 2006, 12:12:37 PM
Reply #2

Ben87

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 12:12:37 PM »
Thanks for the reply fishbonz.  I am glad to know that the 84 lbs of thrust is good enough to move the 222, that was my primary concern.  What I really need the trolling motor/TM to do is get me into a position and just hold me there.  I can imagine myself using the big motor to get me into the right line of drift, then using the TM to fine tune position and keep me in the KZ-the Kill Zone.  Ideally I'd like to have the boat going bow towards the current and have the wind at the stern, using the motor to just hold me in one place and manuever a little bit if necessary.  I have been doing all this with the main motor but there will be a time when I'll no doubt hit a rock and be very unhappy, so for the $500 or so, it will be worth it for me to get a good TM.  

I will also look into the mounting plate you mention as I'm sure that I could just spin the TM onto my cutout transom on my Osprey, I wouln't want to overtighten and compromise my transom/gelcoat more than would be necessary, however, I suspect that just 4200 or 5200-ing a piece of plastic cutting board or PT plywood would do the job quite well.  

This off-season I'll be laying down some sort of nonskid in my transom well area on the portside as the oil tank is on the starboard side, anyone have any ideas for what I could do?  I was thinking of just getting the peel and stick nonskid/sandpaper stuff and be done with it.  Will that stuff hold up to saltwater?

September 25, 2006, 05:49:25 PM
Reply #3

warthog5

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 05:49:25 PM »
so for the $500 or so, it will be worth it for me to get a good TM.

Much closer to $1000.

TM, cabling,mount, 2- new batteries, curcuit breaker.
"Just \'cause it\'s new, doesn\'t mean it\'s worth a Damn!

September 26, 2006, 11:03:14 AM
Reply #4

Ben87

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 11:03:14 AM »
I will be able to spend about that much.  Perhaps $500 for the motor and another, what $100 or so for the battery.  I think I'm going to just bring along a battery and secure it to my transom-well-gate and just clip the cables to the battery and that is it, just a simple 2-piece, removeable thing.  Have to keep things away from potential thieves  ya know?  

Motor Guide or Minn Kota is the question, unless there are others out there I don't know of.  Which brand would be the better choice?

September 26, 2006, 03:41:12 PM
Reply #5

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
Minn Kota or MotorGuide
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 03:41:12 PM »
The age-old question - MinnKota or MotorGuide?  I've had both, and I must vote for MinnKota, especially for salt water use.  The MinnKota has a composite shaft that won't bend or corrode like the steel MotorGuide, and weighs less.  If you wind up with a 60" shaft, the MotorGuide shaft alone weighs a ton!  Also, MinnKota now has one of those assist cylinders like MiniVan tailgates have to help lift the motor - a neat feature.

If you are buying a motor with power steering (a really nice feature, especially with a wireless remote), the MinnKota's steering system seems more robust than MotorGuide's.  Make sure you are getting a salt-water designed motor - MotorGuide's is called Great White, and MinnKota is called Riptide.  

Also, if you are going over 50 lbs thrust, you are probably in 24 volt territory, not 12.  So think TWO batteries, not one.  You may want to rethink a take in/take out scenario when you consider the weight of two 27 size batteries in the back of the boat and the associated wiring clutter.  

I have used transom mount and bow mount, and find bow mount is really the best option.  Boats are make to go forward, not backward, and trying to hold a boat with the rear into the current is tough!  Pushing a boat from the transom at slow speed requires constant attention - every movement takes you in a different direction.  The MinnKota has an Autopilot option with a built-in compass - you set it in a direction and the motor will hold that heading, regardless of wind or current.  I've had too many times with a fish on when the last thing I want to have to do is reach over and adjust the trolling motor.  

Check out MinnKota Riptides at:
http://www.minnkotamotors.com/products/ ... _riptidepd

MotorGuide's Great Whites are here:
http://www.motorguide.com/index.pl/gw_saltwater_series

Last, but not least, consider getting a propeller upgrade with your motor.  You will need a spare prop anyway, so check out a Kipawa.  Very efficient, smooth, and very weedless:  
http://www.kipawapropellers.com/469960.html

Good luck and let's go fishin'!
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

September 26, 2006, 04:20:45 PM
Reply #6

John Jones

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 04:20:45 PM »
For a simple demonstration of bow mount vs. transom mount try this.

Put a pencil on the kitchen table.  Use one finger and try to push it where you want it to go.  Then lightly grab the tip of the pencil and pull it to where you want to go.  

Birdsall ($$) makes a mounting bracket that allows one to use a transom mount motor on the bow but is easily removable for storage/theft prevention.  Comes in black or anodized finish.

http://www.birdsallmarine.com

Minnkota has the better reputation down here for salt use but I have a several year old Motoguide 80# with no issues.  [/img]
Politics have no relation to morals.
Niccolo Machiavelli

September 27, 2006, 04:51:25 AM
Reply #7

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 04:51:25 AM »
My $.02.....

I agree with all above.  I have a 50lber on the transom

and have to agree with GF on all accts - constant attention, move in the boat and the trolling motor is taking you a different direction, and you're anchored to the back of the boat.  Also as said, anything over approx 50lb is 24v so two batteries and an extra 100+ lbs, which you don't need in the back of the boat - at least I don't need.  50lbs against a 5-7mph breeze is maxed out (it'll hold you in one place MAYBE, but not make any forward progress, at least on mine) so look for the bigger motors and plan battery storage so it's out of sight and an on-board charging system.

I was the "trolling motor guy" in my neighbors boat a while back and his is in the front.  Although it needed constant attention too, it was easier to steer the boat from the front and manueverability (sp) was much better. There is not a lot of room on the front of my boat, so I'm not sure a front mount would fit.  If it would fit cleanly, and looked nice at the same time, I would put one on.

Also, the transom gets a little full with everything back there  :roll:
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

September 30, 2006, 09:03:44 AM
Reply #8

John Jones

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2006, 09:03:44 AM »
I wish you would quit posting pics or talking about your Powerpole.  I'm jealous.  I had just about enough nickles saved to get mine and the wife got laid off from her job so I figured I had better hold off on spending that kind of money on something that I don't have to have (but I really, really want  :wink: ).

Just kidding Rick.  Looks good.
Politics have no relation to morals.
Niccolo Machiavelli

October 01, 2006, 07:41:58 AM
Reply #9

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2006, 07:41:58 AM »
Yeah, they ain't cheap but worth it.  If they had the 8ft model out then I would have bought it, then I wouldn't need regular anchor at all. Gotta save a couple hundred more nickels for that one though. :cry:
Sorry to hear that your wife got laid off.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal