Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: To cut up, or not to cut up, that is the question!  (Read 866 times)

December 09, 2014, 03:02:17 PM
Reply #15

numlaar

• Information Offline
Re: To cut up, or not to cut up, that is the question!
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2014, 03:02:17 PM »
Ouch, that is quite a lot...

But the sad thing is, I have already invested thousands just to get where I am at now for a running boat (new wiring, rebuild trailer, new gas tank (which was the biggest expense), three additional motors, etc. So i have a substantial amount into this already that I hate to just throw all that away and start over, but then again, I don't want to put another 10k into it either... at that point I may as well just buy something else newer, and wider... ugh decisions decisions....

I knew going in, it would be a loss leader, not really worried about that I guess... I never intended to get any money back out of it. I just want a boat I can use for the next 20 years. (even if I have to re-power it again at some point, which I am sure I will). My thinking was, I could build in access points that makes sense for things like bilge pumps, thru hulls, etc. So any maintenance I have to do would be easy.

Idk what to do. Kinda back to square one hehe

December 09, 2014, 03:12:45 PM
Reply #16

numlaar

• Information Offline
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2014, 03:12:45 PM »
Here's where I am at currently:

Initial boat/motor/trailer cost: 850.00

Fuel system:
new gas tank (already done): 800.00
new fuel water separator, new fill hose, new vent hose, new fuel lines to motor: 250.00
old fuel cleaned after sitting 2 years: 250.00

interior:
new seats: 600.00

Electrical:
new wiring, new batteries, new cables, entire new set of gauges(8 all together), new fuse boxes, new switches, and two new bilge pumps (already done): 900.00
new stereo and speakers: 750.00

Trailer:
new axle, springs, hubs, rims, tires, and new extended tongue: 650.00
new bunks, new bunk brackets, new carpet, etc.: 250.00

engine:
first crossflow replacement: 250.00
2nd crossflow replacement: 500.00
rebuild of all three crossflows into one working engine: 1200.00
misc attempts at carb rebuilds, water pumps, gasket sets, and two trips to evinrude mechanic: 1500.00
3rd engine 1994 looper:
1200.00 initial cost, plus 700 in parts to get running.

probably another 1500.00 in misc crap that I am not including like sprays, oils, motor stands, straps, etc.

so, so far, I have about what? 12k? this is the first time I've really added it all up... ffs for that I could have bought something nice... but that's me, always trying to nickel and dime it a little at a time, and end up spending 5x what I should have... but that's my own personal issue heheeh

So I guess the point is, at this point, I don't think I have much choice but to continue to move forward, or just throw that 12k away if I get something else... ugh.

December 09, 2014, 04:32:59 PM
Reply #17

gman 82 aquasport

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2014, 04:32:59 PM »
Also you have to remember that with everything you've already done, it adds value and piece of mind. :thumright: You can go out and spend 17-20k on a newer model boat and a year or two later have something go wrong and set you back another 5k. Plus with a rebuild, you will basically have a new hull and structure to place your engine(s)....Another one of life's hard choices :scratch:
1982 19-6 Osprey
1992 Johnson 150
"THERAPY"
Member # 2331

December 09, 2014, 06:33:41 PM
Reply #18

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2014, 06:33:41 PM »
Quote from: "gman 82 aquasport"
...Plus with a rebuild, you will basically have a new hull and structure to place your engine(s)....Another one of life's hard choices :scratch:
I agree with the gman. My 170 was a center console and is again going to be a center console only updated with stout materials below and above the sole.  This boat will out last my kids and grandkids unless someone abuses the boat.
Your boat is one of the desirable model types for families - it's like the Dual Console model. That model is very popular and was carried through to the end.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

December 09, 2014, 06:34:18 PM
Reply #19

CLM65

• Information Offline
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2014, 06:34:18 PM »
Quote from: "numlaar"
Here is my breakdown: (very, very rough figures and mostly guesstimates off the top of my head while at work). I have done a lot of research and have better figures at home
500.00 3/8" coosa for deck replacement (2pcs.)(I don't like nidacore for the holes)
600.00 3/4" coosa for transom (1piece)
1000.00 Gel coat, resin, glass
500.00 new cables/rigging/move batteries
2500.00 integrated fiberglass outboard bracket, with one livewell, and ladder
1000.00 Incidentals and things missed

6100.00 total

(thousand bucks over budget)

That sound about right?

as for the edit on gulp, I use that now! lol, I need the livewell for the fish I intend to catch! ;)

Have to agree with the others on the estimate being low.  You are going to need more than 2 sheets of coosa if you are going to replace the whole deck.  And 3/8" is too thin (do they even make 3/8" :scratch: ?)  You will need 1/2" or 3/4" for the deck.  And a single 3/4" coosa board is not enough for the transom.  You will need to double it up. $1000 is probably not enough for glass and resin, depending on how extensive of a rebuild you are going to do.  And once you get below deck, and into the stringers, you may very well need to replace the foam, which isn't cheap either.  I am currently finding out that these rebuilds are expensive, much more than expected.  Luckily the wife doesn't know how much more :roll: .
Craig

2002 205 Osprey, 200 HP Yamaha OX66

1967 22-2 Flatback (Rebuild in progress)

December 10, 2014, 11:29:04 AM
Reply #20

kaptainkoz

• Information Offline
    • http://www.stevenkozlowski.com
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2014, 11:29:04 AM »
It's an individual call. I know I will never get my money back out of my build, but at the same time I could never afford my finished product. I am doing it for me the way I want. I think in general it is foolish to think of boats as a profit center. They are all money black holes at the end of the day, but that is irrelevant to why we used them, deal with them and love them.  The time factor for me was the real eye opener. It takes much longer than I ever imagined to do seemingly small and simple upgrades. The actual cost has not been crazy, but finding the spare money while raising a family is by far the true delay. Most on here are correct that it is a snowball effect as you start tearing into it. I feel that it's more of a beautiful evolution as one idea leads to the next exciting change and so on. I am enjoying the challenge of the build and I hope that when I turn the key for the first time that I will feel that it was all worth it. I'll let you know in the next 12 years when I finish it! Lol.
1979 246 CCP project boat in development, Jones Inlet-Long Island NY
Steven Kozlowski. Captainkoz@aol.com

December 10, 2014, 01:07:47 PM
Reply #21

numlaar

• Information Offline
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2014, 01:07:47 PM »
Thanks all for the inspiration, tips, and information. I believe I have decided that I will go forward with the rebuild, and re-design the inside along the way. I have too much money into this thing to turn back now, and as mentioned, it will basically be a brand new hull when done. Even if have to repower it, I would still be below the cost of what a new boat would run. Also as mentioned, we all know this is a money-pit of a hobby! hehe. :D

I do really like the boat, and if I can fine tune the interior to meet my needs of family hauling, and fishing capability, I will be happy in the long run.

I have a smaller 15ft. tri-hull I can use while I work on the Xscape. So the general plan will be, use the boat over next summer while saving up cashola to buy the rebuild materials... should be able to save up 6-7k by next winter, which will get my started. Start the rebuild probably sometime next Octoberish...

I figure with my schedule its probably going to take me 1-2 years to do the rebuild anyways. The tri-hull took me 4-5 months, but that's when I was "between jobs" and didn't have much else to do. It was also a good practice and a good primer for what I am getting in to.

I do plan on doing it "right" and will be fully separating the cap from the hull, and rebuilding from the bottom up! I am sure I will be on here frequently asking for help and advice, and of course will post the rebuild for everyone to see.

Thanks again for everything!

Num (Eric)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal