Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

General Aquasport Forums > Aquasport Discussion

1976 Aquasport 19-6 Weight / Towing Advice

(1/1)

jtc99:
A friend of a friend recently upgraded from a '76 19-6 and is looking to sell it. It seems like a pretty sweet deal: new transom professionally redone, 2007 Merc 115, new wiring, hoses, new cushions, fresh coat of varnish on the wood features, and some electronics, plus a trailer.  Luckily my buddy put me at the top of the list to take a look and make an offer if I would like. 

My predicament is I may lack towing ability with my current car ('19 SUB Outback 3.6R).  My car is rated for 2,700lbs. After some Google-ing, it seems this published weight for the hull was 1,550lbs, that presumably doesn't include motor.  The 2007 Merc has a published weight of 375lbs.  In total we are looking at roughly 2,000lbs.

Does anyone have any insight on the weight of this hull and if I should tack on some additional pounds due to the age of the hull?  Shot in the dark: has anyone towed a similar hull without a legitimate towing vehicle (i.e., a truck)?

Long term I'd like to get a slip or a mooring, but the wait lists in my area are pretty long (5+ years). I've thought about a store + launch service at some of the local marinas, but they are very pricey and you have to work on their time schedules.

Thank you all for the input.

Ulysses485:
That hull/trailer combination would be over the capacity of that vehicle. Whether it will be successful at towing it down the road and whether it’s a safe option would be two different answers (legally and safely). Why not find a cheap ½ ton truck and use as your tow vehicle? Some of the weight that you might be forgetting are as follows:
Trailer – approximately 950lb
Fuel - 6lbs per gallon
Ice/drinks/live bait well – 8.4lb/gallon

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version