Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Aquasport Model Rebuilds, Mods, Updates and Refreshes > Osprey Style Hull Rebuilds

1996 Osprey 200 Deck Core

(1/1)

KRoy:
Just cut into a large section of deck between transom and leaning post to remove rotten wood. I assume the core material was balsa bc I definitely don't see plywood layers. Anyone know what thickness they would've used? I'm recoring with marine plywood.

RickK:
I think it was 7/16", maybe even 3/8" plus glass.

KRoy:
I was able to get an unrotten piece out and it measures 7/16. Probably going back with 1/2 inch coosa.
Rookie question - Does the deck core come into contact with the wood in the transom? I assume that the transom core is completely glassed separate from the deck wood. Obviously I'm concerned about the rot extending into the transom.
Thanks.

dbiscayne:
on my early 70's model the wood ended just before the sides and just before the transom, had a solid glass connection to those.
But the stringer grid system was placed into the hull before the inner wall of the transom was glassed. Once water got into the stringer foam thru loose seat & console screws it migrated back to the transom and the wood rotted where the stringers connected to the transom.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version